A World Cup Not invited Tournament

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by HScoach13, Nov 14, 2017.

?

Would you like to see a World Cup Not Invited Tournament

1. Yes

36 vote(s)
    31.0%
  2. Yes but only if we only turn to the youth to play

41 vote(s)
    35.3%
  3. No it would be to tempting to play the over the hill gang.

2 vote(s)
    1.7%
  4. No

37 vote(s)
    31.9%
  1. FLSoccerGran

FLSoccerGran BigSoccer Supporter

Liverpool
    United States
    Feb 2, 2005
    Poinciana, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fantastic idea!

Alexisonfire repped this.
  2. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FIFA will never allow this to happen. dilutes the world cup.

3. Ball Chucking Hack

Jan 21, 2005
    Raleigh, NC
    Yes, this is almost certainly so. It's still something I'd like to see.

COMtnGuy repped this.
  4. KicksNgiggles

KicksNgiggles Member

Aug 18, 2016
    BHM
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Should hold it in Nov-Dec of 2018 to get everyone use to the timing of a "winter World Cup". Post World Cup Cup

5. portugamerifinn

portugamerifinn Member+

Feb 22, 2005
    Bay Area / London
    This would be like the youth sports participation trophies people complain about. "It's okay, guys, we can just play in our own tournament against teams like ours..." Hard pass.

Just field a strong, young team in March/May/June and play WC teams or the top qualifying failures (if they too want to field a real team).

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  6. skim172

skim172 Member+

Feb 20, 2013
    No team would want to play that tournament. There's two things sadder than not being invited to the big party. The first is petulantly deciding to throw your own party with all the losers who weren't invited. I'm not cool enough for your party? Fine! I'll have my own party! And it'll be a million times better than your party! And none of you can come! Yeah, that'll show em.

The second thing is being one of the people invited to that party. "Hey! You're a loser too, right? Let's have our own party - just for us!"

The NIT can work because there are enough college teams that you'll have plenty who feel they deserve to have gone to the big dance and feel righteously angered that they didn't.

But Italy, Chile, Ghana, us - all these teams had their fair chance at qualifying for the WC and were, in fact, the favorites. Showing up to a tournament like this would be a commemoration of their massive failure, and humiliation.

WrmBrnr, JJV1994, onefineesq and 9 others repped this.
  7. Strikerdad10

Strikerdad10 Member

Jul 22, 2005
    I'd watch. Make it age limited (26 and under or something like that) and you'd have players from these countries trying to prove themselves for moves to bigger and better leagues. You know the scouts would watch. They don't care who wins they want to see how individuals perform against good competition. Might help some younger US players get a shot recognition that they'll miss out on by not being at the WC.

juveeer and RalleeMonkey repped this.
  8. TxEx

TxEx Member+

Tottenham Hotspur, Crystal Palace, FC Dallas
    Aug 19, 2016
    DFW
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    With the time difference FIFA might not actually care because it is a cash grab and if necessary some cash can be sent their way to make it happen.

If we're worried about older teams collecting paychecks from their federations, make it a Olympic style tournament. Do U-25 but allow 3 exceptions like the Olympics do so guys like Bale can also play if he wants.

Sell it as a transition and an opportunity for scouts to look at younger players who aren't getting a chance to shine at the WC to make a mark and perhaps earn summer transfers just like the the WC boys will do.

juveeer, shawn12011, majspike and 2 others repped this.
  9. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    Sounds fun. I would watch. Wouldn't compensate for not making the World Cup, but why would it have to? If I can enjoy that Guinness Champions Cup or whatever it's called I could enjoy a series of games between non-World Cup teams.

Alexisonfire and TxEx repped this.
  10. beerslinger23

beerslinger23 Member+

Jun 26, 2010
    This is all true as long as we care about how we are perceived and others do as well. Looking less awkward might be nice but won't help us sift through the pool and get a good look at the presumptive best XI in the long run so I say bring on the loser's ball.

majspike, TxEx and largegarlic repped this.
  11. largegarlic

largegarlic Member+

Jul 2, 2007
    That's my opinion too. The sooner we get to the task of figuring out the building blocks for the next generation, the better. Why hold off on doing that because we're afraid of looking like losers? If we can get a little round robin with quality opponents lined up instead of taking the summer off, let's go for it.

RalleeMonkey, bsky22 and TxEx repped this.
  12. beerslinger23

beerslinger23 Member+

Jun 26, 2010
    Monster!

Dirt McGirt repped this.
  13. beerslinger23

beerslinger23 Member+

Jun 26, 2010
    Thanks Ethan.

14. Jay510

Jay510 Member+

Apr 21, 2002
    Gadsden Purchase, AZ
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It would most likely be in the weeks before the WC, during the pre cup friendlies.

15. largegarlic

largegarlic Member+

Jul 2, 2007
    They were plugging this idea on the Fox broadcast too. Does this mean there is more substance to the rumor, or were they just going off of the same vague internet stuff that we are?

16. grandinquisitor28

Feb 11, 2002
    Nevada
    I'm fine w/the idea. I wouldn't refer to it as a tournament, maybe just a tour like the club tours they have in the summer, and instead it's an international tour featuring those teams, I'd probably try to have Italy, Ireland, Netherlands from Europe, try to get Ghana and Ivory Coast from Africa, Chile and Paraguay or Ecuador from South America, and China (money bags hopefully). Would be fun, don't treat it like a tournament so much as an opportunity for the all the sides to try out their younger players to build for the future, like a pre-Olympic Tournament because for many of the teams missing out was at least partially a generational issue.

17. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    I think it's cringeworthy. Instead, just schedule 2-3 friendlies in late May and early June to serve as pre-World Cup cannon fodder. If Australia qualifies, for example, I'm sure their Group Stage opponents will be interested in a friendly against the US.

The thing the USSF should be doing is begging for 1 of those 6 extra spots at the 2019 Copa America.

russ repped this.
  18. wrench

wrench Member+

May 12, 2007
    NYC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Either way, tourney or string of friendlies, the winner is our program. Group cohesion and familiarity , chemistry, is or should be top priority now. The pool is pretty clear and deep. Having everybody on the same page is of the utmost importance. More reps with each other can"t hurt. Then take the rest of the summer to chill and repair. Come back to your clubs and make yr statement.

19. Mantis Toboggan M.D.

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jul 8, 2017
    The NIT and Europa League are things, no reason this shouldn't be either. And I think FIFA will play ball--if they're given the proper financial incentive to do so.

It would also bring in a ton of cash for the USSF and FIFA, between all the teams that failed to qualify that are big name teams, have large US-based fanbases and/or travel well, or both.

My field:

USA
    Italy
    Holland
    Chile
    Paraguay
    Ecuador
    Greece
    Ireland
    N. Ireland
    Wales
    Slovakia
    Cameroon
    Ghana
    China ($$$$$)
    Peru-NZ loser
    Australia-Honduras loser

KicksNgiggles repped this.
  20. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    FIFA will never sanction that tournament and the star players wouldn't show up either.

JJV1994, JackBlack21 and Winoman repped this.
  21. grandinquisitor28

Feb 11, 2002
    Nevada
    One of my chief frustrations after the day that shall not be named has been the fact that there's been no, new, "news," regarding their offer to us, and some other teams to join up in the tournament since the stories with the April and May bylines (is that how you spell it). I was desperate to find any info to confirm we'd say yes and I couldn't find anything at all. I think Bruce being gone helps, he never seemed in favor of participating prefering to focus on the Gold Cup, and I don't know how one can take an "A" team to both the Gold Cup, and that Copa America if they're basically held back to back or simultaneously, but I desperately want us to play in both of those, the potential US Copa America that's been talked about as a new cash grab in 2020, and also that odd FIFA Friendly Tournament system they've been talking about.

Wish someone could confirm it, but maybe instability and uncertainty with the fed is why we're not locked in yet.

22. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No thanks.

The USSF doesn't deserve to benefit from a money grab tourney. Make them suffer this summer. Make them sit and watch all the WC teams and listen to how furious we are we're not there. Make them soak in the suffering.

Do not let them pivot away to Italy and Chile gracing our shores while they gouge fans to the tune of $300 per ticket and tell us how exciting it is.

Plus, I'd like Pulisic and others to have a summer off and arrive to preseason fully fresh. Might not happen again until 2023.

23. GiallorossiYank

GiallorossiYank Member+

Jan 20, 2011
    NJ/Roma/Napoli
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd watch for sure, but I think its ultimately a bad look for our program.

24. STR1

STR1 Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    May 29, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I agree