a small team

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by TyffaneeSue, Jan 9, 2014.

1. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This much is true, but it sure doesn't imply that we should get rid of the salary cap. A bunch of MLS clubs would die, and the league would go under. MLS is single entity, whether you like it or not. The league is only as strong as the weakest team. Perhaps MLS could survive a few teams going under, but every owner would take a hit on that, and it would become much harder to attract new investors.

The league has persued an incremental path of increasing the salary cap, then allowing for DP's (budget busting players), and I expect that to continue. But to move to a full-on Laize Faire model would doom the league, because we don't have nearly enough owners who could commit to such a model.

More importantly, even if we did switch to such a model and league didn't go under, the Earthquakes most assuredly would. That is completely unacceptable to me.

Go Quakes!!

- Mark

2. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    Zlatan with 21 goals, second most in the league, Rooney with both goals in DC United's comeback win today, I wonder if we should ever expect a big time signing with Fisher? that unwillingness alone keeps us at a huge disadvantage and contributes significantly to our status as a small, rudderless team.

bobby_guzman, don gagliardi and bsman repped this.
  3. SoccerMan94043

SoccerMan94043 Member+

May 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are other ways to be successful and KC, Dallas and the Redbulls a proving it. We can too.

DotMPP, markmcf8, raindawg and 1 other person repped this.
  4. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    draft, better scouting, trades with other teams, homegrown through academy, affiliate transfer...are there other ways? shop in less expensive countries (not sure I really buy this but maybe)...trouble is, we don't have the FO people or systems in place to see much benefit from any of these resources anytime soon. maybe as a long term strategy, with the right level of cultivation and investment, we could expect to pick up some good players these ways but the only way we're any better next year is to make the kind of player moves that get folks back in those seats, a bold signing or two, a player(s) people have actually heard of, with a winning track record...that's really our best bet if we hope to be any better in 2019, a serious roster build-up starting with a big time soccer player that grabs everyone's attention and screams "oh hell yes, Quakes have finally decided it's time to play ball!!" otherwise its more snooze ball and decline.

bobby_guzman repped this.
  5. raindawg

raindawg Member

Sep 22, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree that you don't need to break the bank to be successful. From a financial perspective, I'm not convinced that spending all that money on Zlatan was a sound investment (LAG is still outside looking in in terms of the playoffs).

For the other LA team, what got my attention was when they made a trade with Dallas for Walker Zimmerman. I guess there's a risk of losing Zimmerman to Europe after one season, but I would have killed for Zimmerman in our defense even if it was for this season only.

6. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    I guess these guys are going to have to ask themselves if they can afford another year like this one. If not, there aren't many good options for potentially turning things around quickly in San Jose, other than signing some big time players. I'm not saying you've got to spend ridiculous Steven Gerrard money, at $1.5 million (the same price Quakes are paying for Vako) I'd say Zlatan is exactly what the Quakes need...a big time player willing to take a huge pay cut to play in MLS...yes please.

bobby_guzman and markmcf8 repped this.
  7. run_it_out

run_it_out Member+

Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 19, 2018
    The trouble is, from the Quakes perspective, salaries are only one part of the equation. I believe that we also skimp on scouting, analytics, and other dimensions of player acquisition. When you set a salary cap, the teams willing to spend to acquire players will reallocate resources to those other dimensions. Either way, we fall behind.

xbhaskarx repped this.
  8. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right you are.

So, if the league were to go full Laize Faire, what would happen to our club?

Alas, fair Quakes, :cry:

- Mark

9. SoccerMan94043

SoccerMan94043 Member+

May 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm certainly not saying we're doing the right stuff now, just that there is a blueprint to follow.

markmcf8 and xbhaskarx repped this.
  10. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I'm informed the Quakes were interested in Zimmerman but considered him too expensive to acquire.

bobby_guzman and raindawg repped this.
  11. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Yes, but Quakes05 makes a fair point that fan patience is entirely evaporated. The blueprint requires winning immediately and with some panache. They need to break the bank for a star. I'm going to guess (and it's total speculation) a significant signing from Mexico.

bobby_guzman, markmcf8 and Quakes05 repped this.
  12. raindawg

raindawg Member

Sep 22, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If that’s the case, then that’s another fine example of our awesome FO’s decision making. I hope they were able to make good use of the $’s they saved....

xbhaskarx, bobby_guzman and tenfourteen repped this.
  13. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great news, with Colorado’s (27 points) win today only Orlando (25 points) can catch us (20) for the Wooden Spoon! Orlando play two more games than us so that seems unlikely even if we do have a home game against the Rapids...

14. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    we got this :thumbsup:

15. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We already can't be caught for lowest number of wins... we have 4 wins with only two games left, whereas both Orlando and Colorado have 7 wins.

16. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    In a general sense, yes, soccer fans should have some interest in other leagues around the world as it is a world market of players. Good news is is that there is no short supply of players.

I don't think MLS fans, or maybe Quakes fans in particular, need to care that much about the EPL, La Liga, or Bundesliga specifically because the Quakes almost never compete with those teams for players directly. Really, Liga MX is where MLS fans should have an interest as they do directly compete against MLS for players as they are similar in competition levels, stability, compensation, and they share a region filled with good players

17. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Attn: Fisher and Fox

Desirable market + New stadium + Well known DP + Winning =

D.C. United in talks with Amazon, others for jersey sponsorship

United officials have been in talks with United Airlines and Amazon.com Inc. (NASDAQ: AMZN), according to the report. Other potential jersey sponsors reportedly in the running: Qatar Airways, financial advisory Edward Jones, utility company WGL Holdings Inc. (NYSE: WGL) and consultancies Guidehouse LLP (formerly PricewaterhouseCoopers' U.S. public sector business) and Deloitte LLP.

ESPN+, the video streaming partner of MLS, is also in the mix, according to the report.​

mjlee22 repped this.
  18. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #2143 xbhaskarx, Oct 21, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2018
    With Orlando's win today (they now have 8 wins this season, twice as many as the Quakes' 4), the San Jose Earthquakes have clinched the 2018 Wooden Spoon.

Congratulations to Jesse Fioranelli, Tom Fox, Mikael Stahre, Steve Ralston, etc. on bringing home their first trophy for the Quakes organization... Your service to this club will never be forgotten! :thumbsup:

With many teams having historically bad seasons (8 teams have given up over 60 goals, including Orlando setting the MLS record with 73), the competition was tough but they managed to outdo everyone else with their incompetence. Other teams were bad for long stretches, but no other team maintained such a steady and consistent level of embarrassing performance over the full MLS season.

This award is the culmination of many years of bad decisions, taking what was possibly the most exciting team in MLS history in the 2012 Supporters Shield winning Quakes, and turning them into an unwatchable joke just half a decade later, completely blowing all momentum from the team's move into their new soccer stadium and Wondo's pursuit of the all time MLS goal scoring record.

[​IMG]

markmcf8, Quakes05 and 2in10 repped this.
  19. 2in10

2in10 Member+

LA Galaxy, Internazionale
    United States
    Jun 19, 2016
    Sparks, NV
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    UGH!!

20. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS Wooden Spoons won (teams in bold no longer with us)

4 - San Jose Earthquakes (1997, 2000, 2008, 2018)

3 - Chicago Fire (2004, 2015, 2016)
    3 - D.C. United (2002, 2010, 2013)

2 - New York Red Bulls (1999, 2009)
    2 - Toronto FC (2007, 2012)

1 - C.D. Chivas USA (2005)
    1 - Colorado Rapids (1996)
    1 - Columbus Crew SC (2006)
    1 - FC Dallas (2003)
    1 - Los Angeles Galaxy (2017)
    1 - Montreal Impact (2014)
    1 - New England Revolution (1998)
    1 - Tampa Bay Mutiny (2001)
    1 - Vancouver Whitecaps FC (2011)

0 - Atlanta United FC
    0 - Houston Dynamo
    0 - Los Angeles FC
    0 - Miami Fusion F.C.
    0 - Minnesota United FC
    0 - New York City FC
    0 - Orlando City SC
    0 - Philadelphia Union
    0 - Portland Timbers
    0 - Real Salt Lake
    0 - Seattle Sounders FC
    0 - Sporting Kansas City

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! :(

-G

DotMPP, 2in10, markmcf8 and 3 others repped this.
  21. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #2146 falvo, Oct 21, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2018
    Let's look on the bright side, now we get a Hermann Trophy winner or at least can trade the pic away for 2-3 better players! Ok maybe 1-2?

Or how about allocation money, whatever that is?

22. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Four times in 23 seasons... wow.

Also, this was the first season with 23 MLS teams, so the Quakes finishing 23rd in 2018 is now the lowest finish of any team in MLS history... at least until Cincy joins next year.

davez, markmcf8 and bobby_guzman repped this.
  23. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It would be more tolerable to swallow form the wooden spoon if we consistently had local guys like Lima, Marcinkowski, Thompson, Yueill, Fuentes consistently starting. If we are gonna suck, lets suck in that particular way.

markmcf8 repped this.
  24. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’d like to know what’s really going on with the Quakes supporters groups. The Ultras seem to be down to 30-50 people. They started tweeting more a little while ago, to demonstrate their loyalty, but sometimes the tweets are a truer indicator of how much they are shrinking, like this one with 175 views

Versus This tweet of LAFC’s supporters with 35K views

Looking at these 2 tweets seems to speak to how small we are, and it’s hard to believe things can get better.

bobby_guzman repped this.
  25. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States