a small team

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by TyffaneeSue, Jan 9, 2014.

1. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    Jesse is literally a lateral move from Doyle, they're both massively incompetent.

bobby_guzman repped this.
  2. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Only difference was or is Doyle won more than Fioranelli has. Regardless of what people think , last years playoff team was all Kinnear’s and Doyle’s.

This years was all Stahre.and Jesse. As incompetent as both either Dom and John were or are, I’m pretty sure they will have been able to win more than four games at this point.

3. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder if we're one of the teams pushing for this...

MLS's early CBA talks

4. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Let's take a few to mean three. If I had to take a wild guess (and I am), it would be San Jose, Colorado, and New England. Three teams with owners that have been around a long time and who have not historically spent a lot of money on the roster.

I do think a restructuring of the DP rules would be nice, though rather than a reduction of the number of slots, they could either increase the amount of their salary that counts against the cap (bumping it back up to 500,000k rather than the measly 350,000 it is now), or get rid of DP slots altogether and rework the amount of allocation money that the league operates with.

At this point in time, I think I'd rather them go down the allocation money route, though I would bet that would also have to be negotiated with the union. Either way, if this conservative effort gains any steam within the ownership collective, expect some very tense negotiations.

5. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We're in the home stretch!

1046815938404917249 is not a valid tweet id

# a trophy is a trophy

6. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    How many multi-goal leads did the Quakes have to relinquish to win this award? Truly a team effort.*

* Special thanks to the VAR crew, without whom this couldn't have been possible. :)

7. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really? I thought it was going to come down to the last game between us and Colorado...
    So then the last home game of the season will be truly meaningless?

8. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    The operative word is "can" clinch this weekend. If Colorado wins and the Quakes lose, the Quakes win the spoon and render the home match against Colorado meaningless.

The Quakes will almost certainly keep up their end of the bargain by losing against the Red Bulls, which means even a draw against Colorado the following game would earn the spoon. And the Quakes will almost certainly lose in Seattle, regardless.

I don't want to scare anyone away, but (as I infamously said previously) if you think the Quakes are going to earn around 30 points before this season is over, you're smoking crack. :)

bobby_guzman and Quakes05 repped this.
  9. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    bobby_guzman and markmcf8 repped this.
  11. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I am trying to think back to 2008 and if the league was stronger then or not. There were less teams but I think the talent pool across the leagues rosters wasn’t as diluted as many teams had many foreign and domestic national team players.

Comparing this team to the expansion year, I can’t find many similarities. The GK in Joe Cannon was much stronger and we had Nick Garcia on defense as well as Lima , Huckerbe , Ramiro and (a then) Scott Sealy and they all had a great second half of the season. Even rookie Shea Salinas was showing a lot of promise that year and the future looked bright.

That team is currently much worse this year. Love Frank or not, even though we finished last, that expansion season was levels ahead of this one. They also won 4 more games I believe.

12. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The league is definitely stronger now than in '08. No question.

While our '08 team might have been better, you're focusing on the end of the season after we got Hucks and Lima. Before that, we sucked.

But this year's team is historically bad. We are way beyond awful.

The most relevant thing about making this comparision is that starting from scratch, with an expansion side, we were actually a better, more coherant squad in '08 than this season. This season marks the nadir of the team. We should never, ever be this dreadful again, ever. No matter how long the team exists.

Go Quakes!!

- Mark

13. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Conceivably, the Quakes could go winless next season.

bobby_guzman and JazzyJ repped this.
  14. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    conceivably, you and the last few attendees could quietly enjoy Fisherball, each with an entire section to yourself. yay for elbow room!

Beerking repped this.
  15. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

This is in a league with no threat of relegation...

markmcf8 repped this.
  16. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which player is most poised to enter next year's 22 Under 22?

BOEHM: Who's next?! Maybe readers should take a look at my 2018 22U22 list! It featured plenty of talent snubbed by others this year, but whose names will be in many mouths in 12 months' time. But setting that future-brag aside, I'm watching the San Jose Earthquakes and their academy closely these days.

Arguably no MLS team has made less use of a talent-rich backyard than the Quakes traditionally have, though there are signs of positive change over the past year or so. Gilbert Fuentes and Jacob Akanyirige are extremely legit prospects; will they get the chance to show it with the first team?

17. SoccerMan94043

SoccerMan94043 Member+

May 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First I'd like to thank Jesu... err Tarbell.

18. Cheez-it

Cheez-it Member

May 20, 2018

What if we get rid of this ridiculous "dp" and "draft" system and other such nonsense that doesn't work in this sport, and let the best teams win. Let owners who want to invest, win. If the league folds because zero attendance at the bad teams stadium, well, that tells you about the culture of this sport in the country.

That's the cardinal issue with a league that's set up as a monetary system, rather than a union of actual grassroots teams. Let's be honest, MLS is a plastic league with a ton of artificial clubs within it. It's quintessentially American. Only formed so we can host a world cup, and expected to fold soon after.

Don't get started on this "parity" BS, all it does is actually weaken the league and harm development of players over all.

19. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder if American and other foreign ownership of EPL teams is going to eventually destroy the EPL. I feel sorry for so many EPL fans who have gotten priced out of attending games/teams their families have supported for generations.

But Cheez-it is certainly right, FA teams at least all started with local supporters, whereas MLS teams are only anointed based on market size and membership in the Billionaire Boys Club.

tenfourteen repped this.
  20. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I just can't take that argument seriously. The draft and DP system has worked fine for the league so far. MLS has grown at very fast rate and has been massively more successful in its relatively short history than anyone could have reasonably expected (aside from those initial investors, perhaps). To say it doesn't work is either willful ignorance or complaining simply because it's different than how pro soccer is organized elsewhere.

Problem is, there was no way to replicate how soccer developed in other countries because the US isn't other countries. The only way a genuine top league could have been built is by billionaires willing to invest to make a pro sports league that they would eventually earn money from. If we were going to wait for teams to spring up out of clubs that naturally grow into a pro league...well, ain't gonna happen, sorry. There is no universe where that could have happened except in those where the US had remained a set of British colonies until at least the 19th century. Those universes probably exist, but it's not this one.

I would also say MLS owners now have more control over their own destinies than they have ever had before with regard to building teams, spending money, etc, so it's closer to what you seem to want than it's ever been. What exactly is the problem?

To decry the draft is especially strange since it's practically an afterthought at this point. At worst, it has literally no effect, and at best, a few good players get into the league through the college route.

The league has problems, but to insinuate that it's not legitimate is pretty ridiculous, and if you genuinely believe that, is it worth the energy to rant and rave about it? Seems like ignoring it would serve you a bit better.

21. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ignoring the bizarre tangent into Eurodouchebaggery and getting back on topic...

22. Antonio2020

Antonio2020 Member

Nov 28, 2016
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    This "small team" in a large, wealthy market needs a complete Silicon Valley reboot...

23. run_it_out

run_it_out Member+

Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 19, 2018
    I agree with this completely. The league will never reach its potential until we compete in the world market for footballers, and bring in top players. The league pretends like it can act like the NFL or NBA, who are the only game in town for the top talent. The ridiculous and artificial constraints on salary competition are myopic. Fans aren't stupid, they know they are watching minor league talent.

Oh and the superdraft is so irrelevant. Seriously, if we would have just opted out every year since the 2008 return, would it have impacted our roster at all?

24. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is a recipe for disaster, especially for us. So, if you want our team to die and go away forever, then this is the path to persue. If the league turns into a pissing contest between wealthy wankers, we are doomed, and the league would suck. Who wants to root for a team that never ever has a chance at the title? That's crap. Sorry.

And I don't give a squat about the EPL, the Bundesliga, La Liga, or any other league. I don't get to go to their games, so I don't care. I might watch them from time to time (I watch Mexican futbol games occassionally. I like Toluca.) But what they do or don't do in Decrepit Olde Enguland means exactly zero to me.

The MLS may be odd, you might find it weird, but it's the league we have. Getting rid of the salary cap will kill the league. Taking off the restraints means that San Jose in particular will die.

Sorry, I reject every component of your argument in it's entirety.

Go Quakes!!

- Mark

25. run_it_out

run_it_out Member+

Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 19, 2018
    I think you should care. When we attempt to sign a player, we are competing for that player with those teams. It's not about emulating other's traditions. It's about recognizing the structure of the industry in which we compete. It would be like saying the Yankees shouldn't care that the Dodgers sign baseball players from Latin America, because the Dodgers are in the National League. Or that General Motors shouldn't care about how Toyota makes cars, because we're in American dammit and we do things our own way.

markmcf8 repped this.