a small team

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by TyffaneeSue, Jan 9, 2014.

1. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    No, those of us who expected it just gave up talking about it because some people chose to willfully ignore the inevitable.

It should be a surprise to no one that Wondolowski would not be as good at 35 as he was at 30 or 31. It's the team's fault for being stupid enough to think he would produce like he did in his prime and building the team with that in mind.

2. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    #1927 don gagliardi, Jul 14, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2018
    It is unclear that there has been drop off in Wondo's play because he lacks adequate service. Nonetheless, he's still on pace for a dozen goals.

EDIT: I checked Wondo's pace back in 2010, when he was eight years younger and won his first Golden Boot (for a playoff squad, not an all-time Wooden Spoon contender). As of July 14 of that year, he had seven goals. This year, as of the same date on the calendar, he has six. Precipitous drop off, my ass.

3. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As long as we get another 3 penalty kicks.;)

4. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    They all count the same.

And PKs aren't gimme's. Ask Modric.

5. SeaJayBee

SeaJayBee Member

Jun 23, 2008
    Saratoga
    Yup. Especially when Wondo takes them .

OWN(yewu)ED repped this.
  6. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Wondo scores on the rebound. :)

OWN(yewu)ED repped this.
  7. Beckham7

Beckham7 Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    Northern, California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OWN(yewu)ED and don gagliardi repped this.
  8. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They need to be given before they can be taken.

9. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    You don't think you'll see Magnus flopping in the box anymore this season? :)

JazzyJ repped this.
  10. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. ColinMcCarthy

ColinMcCarthy Member+

Apr 2, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I was trying to think of who our CMs were and I couldn't recall. I guess its Flo, Godoy, and Alashi? Is that right? Simply no way you can win without a decent CM, and we don't have it. We don't have a left back. There's no excuses for these deficiencies. None. Flo is right. Maybe he shouldn't have said it but he was right.

12. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    Godoy, Yueill, Ceren, and Fatai were our CMs last year. Ceren was not even good enough to be a regular starter. And we didn't have a left back last year either, unless you want to count Shaun Francis or Colvey, who was never given a chance. Leitch made the best of it by playing Salinas there. So no, Flo is not right, and Dom and Leitch proved it last year by not only competing for but making the playoffs.

And even if he were right that you don't publicly says that your teammates are not good enough. Inexcusable. Talk to Jesse about it. He's the one that can do something about it.

ColinMcCarthy repped this.
  13. Beckham7

Beckham7 Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    Northern, California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like it could be the ACL.

14. ColinMcCarthy

ColinMcCarthy Member+

Apr 2, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I'm confused. Last year our mids were better, this year they are worse. Flo says we're not good enough. He's right, no? Anyways, Ceren seems to have started/played in 11 games for Houston this year, https://www.mlssoccer.com/players/darwin-ceren

and we squeezed into playoffs last year and got tthumped so it doesn't really count. We should not be "competing for" the playoffs. We should be making them every year and "competing for" the MLS Cup. :(

I agree he should not have said it publicly, but he was right. And maybe he did talk to Jesse.

No negative effect from it as he starts.

Beerking repped this.
  15. alexiskool1991

alexiskool1991 Member+

May 9, 2011
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    While he topic is on ceren. He wasn’t consistent, but he was a key reason we beat Minnesota to get into the playoff play-in. He swings and switches the ball with ease.

16. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    I'm not confused :). Flo says the players are not good enough. We have the same CMs as last year modulo Flo for Ceren (wait, is talking about himself when he says the roster is not good enough?). Anyway what has clearly changed is the coach. I flatly reject a line of thinking that the players are now suddenly not good enough and the coach is absolved of all accountability.

BS it doesn't count. We made the playoffs straight up. An away one-game series is always going to be tough. But the point is there is huge gap between making the playoffs and not even being good enough to compete for them. Since I believe the 2017 and 2018 rosters are comparable and consist of mostly the same starters I hold the coach accountable.

SoccerMan94043 repped this.
  17. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    that would be really tough for him because I am pretty sure he already had an ACL operation in his late teens.

18. ColinMcCarthy

ColinMcCarthy Member+

Apr 2, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Um. We have a pretty much new team this year. Except for Lima, brand new defense. Godoy is only same in midfield. Up top is same. We're doign well on offense. Defense sucks. Muma.

Beerking and bobby_guzman repped this.
  19. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    #1944 JazzyJ, Jul 14, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2018
    Um. We have the roster to play the defense that Leitch was playing at the end of the season modulo Cummings or Kashia (Georgia nats and Dutch 1st division captain) for Muma.

This year: Salinas - Cummings / Kashia - Flo - Lima

In fact Lima was not available for much of last season due to injury. Our starting defense at the end of last year,, as we made a mini-run to the playoffs.

Last year: Salinas - Flo - 35-year old Muma - Sarkodie

I would take this year's starting defense every day and twice on Sunday over last year's.

Midfield can also be the same as it was much of last year. It's the coach's choice that it isn't, and he needs to be held accountable. Darwin Ceren only started just over half the games last year. He was not good enough or consistent enough to be the regular starter, and at times Yueill did excellent in his place under Leitch.

Vako - Godoy - Alashe / Yueill - TT/Hyka

We often played that lineup in the 2nd half of last year, and we can play it this year as well. Again, coach's decision.

So at what point are you going to hold the coach accountable?

SoccerMan94043 repped this.
  20. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Based on the responses to this tweet, the natives are restless and not putting up with the BS... has trust in the organization since its return ever been lower?

21. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In other news, following DC's 3-0 win over Vancouver, there can be no doubt that we are currently the worst team in all of MLS... are are looking up at DC and Colorado, and way up at freaking Minnesota, who have 7 wins to our 2...

[​IMG]

OWN(yewu)ED and QuietType repped this.
  22. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fun fact: our last win against a team other than Minnesota United was on September 30, 2017, beating the Portland Timbers. Since then, across all competitions (MLS, playoffs, USOC) the Quakes have 3W 0T 0L against Minnesota and 0W 7T 13L against the rest of MLS.

Beerking, ColinMcCarthy and QuietType repped this.
  23. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    I've seen "funner" facts. :)

Beerking, bsman and xbhaskarx repped this.
  24. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    ‘Minnesota United: San Jose’s bitch since 2017!’

Beerking and bobby_guzman repped this.
  25. QuietType

QuietType Member+

Jun 6, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Earthquakes social media cracks me up. They’ve posted more about World Cup watch parties than the actual team, and about the homegrowns in Reno.

[​IMG]