a small team

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by TyffaneeSue, Jan 9, 2014.

1. davez

davez Member+

Aug 10, 2000
    Mountain View, CA
    Anyone else notice that the number of postings is way down, as is I suspect interest in this bad team.

Honore de Ballsac repped this.
  2. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    It’s the World Cup and no ne is paying attention or cares to post about the quakes troubles currently.

I’m sure that will change next week...

3. alexiskool1991

alexiskool1991 Member+

May 9, 2011
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    We had a week off, World Cup, we play RSL next away, we suck. Nothing to be excited about.

4. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was on vacation, so no meaningless posts from me.

And Yellowstone is completely awesome! If you've never been, go. Like right away.

Go Quakes!!

- Mark

Quakes05, TyffaneeSue, mjlee22 and 2 others repped this.
  5. NedZ

NedZ Member+

May 19, 2001
    Los Gatos
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    24/74 Show Episode 18: A return from hiatus

PODCAST- Joel Soria and Daniel Sperry return to the airwaves to discuss all things #Quakes74! Joel updates his life, and Daniel rants on how Fenway Park could pave a way for American soccer. They dive deep into Guram Kashia, the World Cup and a 30 minute segment of answering Twitter Questions, including opinions about Fisher.

https://quakesepicenter.com/2018/06/20/24-74-show-episode-18-a-return-from-hiatus/

6. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What is there to say?

7. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    even complaining about our owner has become tedious and no longer cathartic. :(

Honore de Ballsac and mjlee22 repped this.
  8. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    "become" tedious? It was tedious about 10,000 tedious ownership complaining posts ago :).

9. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sure, but now that Fisher is considering buying into a major club in Europe, for major dollar signs, the fact that he won't spend enough on us is thrown into high relief.

I have not been on the Fisher sucks bandwagon previously, but I'm there now.

He clearly is not interested in our team, but he doesn't seem inclined to sell us either. So we're going to remain a back water after thought in Fisher's domain until he decides to dump us.

That's really hugely depressing. If he gave a crap, he'd have demanded Stahre's head by now. But he clearly doesn't care how much we lose.

Go Quakes!!

- Mark

10. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You can't take Stahre's head unless you take Jesse's along with it. He is equally complicit in this mess.

Unlike some here, I don't consider Quintana a failed signing-yet. He is what? Only 22? He is our youngest defender outside of our child crusader, Jacob Akinirage. Still has time to improve his game. Eriksson and Qwiberg are obviously unfortunate signings, and are likely more Jesse than Stahre. Imo, we should offload Eriksson, Qwiberg, Affolter and Hyka to get rid of some dead wood and free up some international spots.

bobby_guzman and alexiskool1991 repped this.
  11. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    This is why the conversation is tedious. 1) Fish spent a good chunk of money searching for and hiring a soccer guy to run the technical part of the org. He should be given a few years (I'd say 3 at least) to make his case. 2) There are teams with similar or less spending who do well year in and year out. The money helps but it isn't required. If we're smart we can do just fine. It's just that we haven't been smart. If Jesse can't turn it around, then our expensive GM search failed, and we will have to try again.

12. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think we can sack Stahre and keep Jesse. I might be wrong on that, but it's what I think.

Quintana is fine. He's getting better and he's not bad to start with. The problem is a total lack of coordination on the backline, and the midfield, come to that. It's not that our individual players are terrible, though some of them are not good enough. It's that they don't play well together.

I'd keep Hyka for sure. He' quite good, but hasn't had enough time on the pitch. He is more of a team player than Vako, who we've just doubled down on.

I agree that it's not just about the money. However, Fisher seems to have endless patience for losing. I don't.

We aren't getting better, and we don't appear to have a plan to get better. Even if Fisher doesn't spend lots more money on us, I still want to see some desire to win. Stahre has to go. That should be obvious to any observer of the team.

So let's assume that Jesse gives Stahre the rest of this season, and the coming off-season (we're nearly there now), and then into next season as well. If that's the case, I'm going to spend a lot less of my time and energy watching OUR team suck. If leadership is content with this mess, then I have to become resigned to years and years of suckitude in the immediate future.

Go Quakes!!
    Fire Stahre!!

- Mark

TyffaneeSue repped this.
  13. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    now I'm all wound up again, sell this team already!

:mad::mad::mad:

Honore de Ballsac repped this.
  14. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    someone should tell AC Milan fans what it means to have Fisher as the owner of your city's team. all bad. I don't follow Serie A but I'm quite sure these fans have no idea about the misery that awaits, should this pan out.

15. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    #1765 JazzyJ, Jun 21, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2018
    What I want from ownership is some reasonable amount of investment in the franchise (and all told we may be mid-pack or lower mid-pack which is close enough for me), and to hire a good, smart GM who will get us on the right path so that we can compete for championships (in MLS, this means, in my mind, make the playoffs most years), and to define our team's identity. I don't need the owner to be making statements to the press and in the stands fist pumping, and I don't need the owner to be meddling in the technical operation of the club. Just those two things I mentioned.

Remember that ownership did make an effort to hire the right GM. Whether they did or not remains to be seen. And they have done some other things that indicate lack of patience with losing, including green lighting the firing of Doyle and Kinnear, and eating Dawkins's contract.

While the recent results have been terrible, Jesse has been putting some things in place to help us in the longer term - HG signings, good relationship with USL partner, etc. So I'm in a wait and see mode. It is Jesse's job to fix the Stahre thing - either fire him or stick with him as he figures it out. Either way Jesse is responsible for the results. And if we have another couple of bad years I would expect ownership to try once again to right a smart, strategic-thinking GM.

NedZ, SeaJayBee and markmcf8 repped this.
  16. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, Fisher is not a penny pincher, at least, not too much. He spent on the stadium, on sacking Doyle and Kinnear, on eating Dawkins' salary, on the Magnus transfer fee, on Jesse, on Stahre.

So there is a suggestion that he does spend enough to make us competitive, and that our failures are in Jesse underestimating the quality of the league, and Stahre simply not being good enough. Like Magnus and Qwiberg aren't good enough.

So it is about spending wisely, rather than just bulk spending.

However, Fisher appears to be tolerant of throwing away whole seasons. This season is clearly in the bag already. So are we going to throw two or three more seasons into the toilet as well? Stahre clearly isn't cutting it. But we have to fix this, sooner, rather than later.

Go Quakes!!
    Fire Stahre!!

- Mark

17. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    So who will fix it?

18. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Fish put Jesse in charge. Jesse has to fix it - either fire Stahre (he could even do it with little to no additional spending by reinstating Chris Leitch, who should have been the damn coach to begin with) or hang onto Stahre and hope things get better. I don't think the owner should be making decisions based on half seasons. He should be operating on a coarser grained timeframe. He should be giving Jesse a few years (let's say 3) to show his worth. If things are still this bad next year, then it's time to start thinking about making a GM change.

So the heat is on Jesse, because if he keeps Stahre next year and it's another bad year, he could be allowing Stahre to take his ship down. What will most likely happen though is that we'll enter this fuzzy grey area. We'll have somewhat better results the rest of the way (we'd almost have to - we have a lot of home games and we've lost most games), and it will be well, things are looking up, Stahre's figuring it out! And next year will be a little better than the previous year but not all that great, and then we're probably back to a Kinnear level yearly mediocrity. Again, it's Jesse's job to fix that. If some of the longer term moves he's made start to pay off, we may finally start to see an upswing. Otherwise it's back to long-term mediocrity - the same old Quakes except with more of a euro bent instead of an MLS retread bent.

19. Antonio2020

Antonio2020 Member

Nov 28, 2016
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Fisher and Co. should just deed the Quakes over to the Giants to finally get the rights to build an A's ballpark in San Jose (with Avaya stadium and SUM stake, Quakes probably worth $300 mill). Not only would the A' dream of moving to SJ come true. but perhaps we would actually have owners (Baer and Co.) who gave a damn about the Quakes. A win, win all around! What do you think Bobby G.?...

20. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like they don't have to worry about it....

https://m.milannews.it/primo-piano/...all-acquisizione-delle-quote-del-milan-299110

(translated)
    "The Ricketts family (not just Tom) is interested in acquiring a controlling stakeholder in AC Milan, while Tom is the reference person, the whole family and the entire family's financial resources are involved in this affair, just like the owned by the Cubs The Ricketts family brought a championship to the Chicago Cubs through long-term investments and been a great support for the club, the stadium, the fans and the city, bringing the same approach to Milan. but long-term investments to ensure lasting success".​

Tom Ricketts is behind the expansion USL team in Chicago...

Edit:
    In English

bobby_guzman and Quakes05 repped this.
  21. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I wouldn't recommend him to do it. Things in Italy are not as easy as they are in the USA or in MLS, for that matter. If Fisher buys Milan, he will not last long.

Quakes05 repped this.
  22. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can understand an expansion team maybe being better than us (although even that is pretty embarrassing), but how the hell can an expansion team have so much more ****ing depth than us??

LAFC face good problem as World Cup players return to the fold

Now Carlos Vela, Marco Ureña and Omar Gaber are coming back from the World Cup, just as MLS Player of the Month/Week Adama Diomande is seriously going off and 21-year-old Portuguese phenom Andre Horta prepares for his debut when the transfer window opens.
    The talismanic Vela has been a sensation in MLS, fusing a dynamic attack while scoring seven goals and assisting five more in a dozen games. And he's been on the field just eight minutes with Diomande, who has seven goals and two assists in his last five games.

Diego Rossi has been a force for LAFC's offense, Latif Blessing has done some nice things and the Benny Feilhaber-Lee Nguyen combination behind the group in front has been terrific. There are a lot of options.​

23. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe because John Thorrington’s staff uses real scouts who analyze and travel to find their players.
    Whereas I assume Fioranelli calls up his dad’s European agency to help find him players, and then the agency pockets the 10% or more (I believe that 10% only applies to salary, and that transfer fees don’t have a limit on the agent’s percentage).

alexiskool1991 and bobby_guzman repped this.
  24. RocktheCasbah4

Dec 20, 2013
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    inb4 threats of a lawsuit for defamation our our glorious GM's character

25. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If I ever take up jesse’s offer to meet, I plan to ask him how many of his hires have come thru his family’s agency.

I’ve often maintained that Doyle’s spectacularly bad big money signings could easily be explained by bunges. I assume jesse’s process is more above board, but still a conflict of interest.