a small team

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by TyffaneeSue, Jan 9, 2014.

1. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Ownership got the size of the team it wanted, and the team went from small to middling with the snail's pace that ownership decreed. We're 10 years into the re-boot. Blaming John Doyle is scapegoating for a problem of deeper magnitude that has not entirely been remedied.

SalinasQuakesFan repped this.
  2. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    I'm pretty sure that they hired Doyle because he promised the ownership that he could convince his good buddy Dominic Kinnear (the Vince Lombardi of MLS in Wolff/Fisher's eyes) to leave Houston and join him in SJ.

Doyle should have been fired immediately when Kinnear used the Quake's interest to negotiate a huge salary increase and extension in Houston. Doyle did his buddy a solid but screwed SJ (and then doubled down on it by bringing in Kinnear at the high salary when he was clearly running Houston into the ground).

I don't believe the Quakes wanted to lose at Buck Shaw. I think they vastly over rated Kinnear's coaching ability and handicapped themselves for a decade because of it. And I blame Doyle for a lot of that.

markmcf8 and hc897 repped this.
  3. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    As I recall, back in 2007, when Doyle was hired, Kinnear and Yallop were viewed interchangeably. Ownership was quite happy with Yallop until they weren't, six years later in 2013.

4. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    Doyle and Yallop did not have a relationship that I know of. Yallop never hired him as an assistant coach, but Kinnear did. I'm 99% convinced Doyle's value to Wolff/Fisher was his assurance that Kinnear wanted to live in the Bay Area and coach the Earthquakes.

I imagine the Doyle pitch to ownership went something like this:

I guarantee you Dominic will come to SJ and coach for us. He believes in building teams with American players and isn't sold on bringing in high priced foreign "names". He'll get more production from less salary than any coach in MLS. We'll win championships and you will see a high return on your investment.

I think that pitch cost the franchise a fortune in Doyle ineptitude

markmcf8 repped this.
  5. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    (Emphasis added).

Hard to tell whether your opinion is based on discussions with inside sources or pure conjecture.

Mine is based on recall of contemporaneous discussions with David Alioto before Yallop was rehired for his second stint. The Quakes were looking to get one or the other. They may have preferred Kinnear, who was coach of the two-time defending champs at the time, but Yallop was more readily available and likely less expensive.

6. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Using Doyle to get to Kinnear makes no sense to me. If they wanted Kinnear, why bother with an intermediary? I'm guessing they brought Doyle on board because he appeared to have such an impressive soccer resume and so many local soccer connections.

markmcf8 repped this.
  7. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    Doyle was the on camera image the ownership wanted. Remember the "no grey hairs" comment? Doyle was for TV sound bites and Kinnear was suppose to be the brains running the soccer team.

8. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Oh right, and his devastating good looks. Forgot about that.

9. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    The guy who never held a press conference?

10. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What was this?

11. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    He could play a corporate guy on TV. He had experience doing Quakes games and I'm sure that played a role in his hire. He was a familiar face

12. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    Probably a good thing he didn't talk to the press much. He seems quite thin skinned about being criticized. Aren't there antidotal stories around about Doyle threatening to punch out fans that dared to be critical to his face?

13. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I've heard lots of stories but John Doyle was always reasonably cordial to me.

14. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    That looks like a gold mine of fun. Reminds me of when I reffed under 8s.

16. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    Were you critical of the team?

17. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    #1467 don gagliardi, Jul 12, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2017
    Aren't I always?

It's funny you mention it, though. I recall running into John Doyle on the streets of Toronto during MLS Cup 2010. (Not so coincidentally since we were staying at the same hotel). He was still fuming over the loss to Colorado in the conference final, and dismissive of my compliments about the Quakes' solid campaign.

Similarly, I recall watching a half of action against Kansas City at Spartan Stadium during the 2004 season while sitting with then-GM Alexi Lalas. He was also much harder on the team than I was.

jeff_adams repped this.
  18. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  19. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I'm betting that the financial statements of Earthquakes LLC are padded with lots of tax-avoidance strategies - net operating loss carryforwards, accelerated decpreciation, etc. I believe that in sports, like movies and music, creative accounting is the name of the game.

TyffaneeSue and SoccerMan94043 repped this.
  20. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  21. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    So much for "losing or no making money"......a quote MLS team love to blurt out....

22. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I remember going back and looking at those threads and I think one (around November 2007) was titled Kinnear or Yallop. Many of us were quite pleased when Frank got the job but we all speculated that because Dom and John Doyle were best friends , Kinnear may be coming too. Then I recall a Dynamo fan posting saying he was with Dom and John the night before and they were both laughing at the idea that Dom would be coming in 2008. At that point when Dom was out of the picture, there was no other choice but to go with Frank whom I believe wanted out of the LA Beckham hysteria.

23. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As well as of Earthquakes Soccer, LLC. ;)

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! :(

-G

24. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Yeah and the biggest lie of all is when owners brag about how they "LOSE MONEY".....

25. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States