a small team

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by TyffaneeSue, Jan 9, 2014.

1. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought I’d read ina couple of places that Almeyda is not working for a big salary because he was interested in “the project”.

So maybe his hiring does not indicate significant investment!

2. Scott Rohde

Scott Rohde Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 28, 2018
    Well I must say Fisher just bought me a beer and a hotdog. So he’s not all that bad. Thanks Fish!

DotMPP, don gagliardi and MtnGardener repped this.
  3. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! :cool:

-G

DotMPP repped this.
  4. Antonio2020

Antonio2020 Member

Nov 28, 2016
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    A poster on FB Earthquakes Discussion page mentioned "Duolingo" when I asked about a possible jersey sponsor. Can anyone confirm, comment? BTW, not holding my breath on this one..

5. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I tried that app while in France & gave up

6. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lol, please don't, because I don't think a $40 million a year (2018) revenue company could afford our jersey sponsorship.
    For comparison, when Amway sponsored us they were roughly an $8billion a year company, and when Sutter Health started their sponsorship in 2015 their total revenue was about $11billion.
    When Avaya signed on as stadium sponsor they were a $5billion a year company.

markmcf8, Antonio2020 and mjlee22 repped this.
  7. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Regardless of his salary, it's still a significant investment. We're talking about all of the assistant coaches that were brought on, and I'm sure Almeyda is living comfortably enough. You also have to consider Fisher's willingness to eat the salaries of Kinnear and Stahre when things weren't going the way they wanted. Heck, they brought on an additional assistant coach for Kinnear to help him get things right, and when he didn't, they replaced them.

Now, getting things wrong only then to correct course hasn't been the smoothest road to success, certainly, but I think it's important not to overlook that. We'll see what happens with Espinoza as well. If they manage to sign him, it will probably be for a hefty amount by Earthquakes' standards.

I don't want to paint it as though Fisher is going to jump to the front of the line in terms of team spending. We know he isn't. What important is that he invests his money in the right areas. Things are starting to look good in that regard for now.

markmcf8 and SeaJayBee repped this.
  8. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Quakes05, Antonio2020 and Scott Rohde repped this.
  9. Scott Rohde

Scott Rohde Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 28, 2018
    And should be mentioned that since the time the Quakes played Portland in early April they added Brian Fernandez as a DP (10 million fee). He’s been a key part of their attack.

Quakes05 and xbhaskarx repped this.
  10. MtnGardener

MtnGardener Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 21, 2017
    Yeah. I am happy with the Quakes' team, but wow. The West went all arms-race-like. LAFC, already tap-dancing on the other teams, added a player (Rodriguez) who costs the same as the Quakes full payroll. LAG found a loophole to get a 4th DP (Pavon), also worth as much as the Quakes payroll. The Loons got a player (Chacon) for more than all of the Quakes DPs together. Portland got Fernandez (also worth the Quakes full payroll) who has been good for 1 goal per 110 minutes over 11 games.

So of the teams in playoff positions in the West (by PPG), the Quakes, the Sounders, and RSL didn't add a player worth as much as the Quakes payroll. Right now, the message isn't great. Mostly because our new guys haven't hit the field and don't have the credentials to make headlines. Hopefully Almeyda can get what he wanted out of them. I know I raised my eyebrow at Vega. After a couple games I wasn't happy with Espinoza. Judson was a disappointment until a coupe games ago. And Lopez still is more potential than finished product, but is coming along. So I'll give Almeyda the benefit of the doubt. But we have a tough schedule and we only have 4 points between us and missing the playoffs (assuming that Portland isn't going to be where they are, which seemed certain even before they added Fernandez, and seems doubly true now). We've been great, but only RSL and Seattle have done less on paper to get better, and Seattle's roster was already very good. Let's see that Rios and Fierro show they are better than their paper :)

Quakes05, markmcf8, xbhaskarx and 3 others repped this.
  11. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Ebenezer Fisher strikes again!

Quakes05, don gagliardi and Antonio2020 repped this.
  12. Scott Rohde

Scott Rohde Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 28, 2018
    We are really putting Almeyda to the test. Hopefully he can pull it off. His value will go through the roof.

Antonio2020 repped this.
  13. Antonio2020

Antonio2020 Member

Nov 28, 2016
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Matias Almeyda... making wine out of water! (Hopefully)

markmcf8 and Scott Rohde repped this.
  14. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    That should be on next year's protest scarf. :)

Quakes05, bsman, markmcf8 and 1 other person repped this.
  15. Antonio2020

Antonio2020 Member

Nov 28, 2016
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Looks like Roku beat earning expectations on Wall St. for the quarter and is well on it's way to becoming a $1 billion a year company.

Would be nice if they could show they're new neighbor some corporate love! Help get us out of this "small team" status...

Quakes05, markmcf8 and xbhaskarx repped this.
  16. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’d be happy if Roku would just let us park in the dam platinum lot.

17. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ugh...

No big deal, just LAFC outbidding Barcelona... To quote Moss from Glengarry Glen Ross, the rich get richer, that’s the law of the land... except we’re in a salary capped league built around parity and our owner is a multi-billionaire, so...

18. tenfourteen

tenfourteen Member

Sep 30, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    lol if fisher/wolff ever gave a damn about the team and put an effort to make the bay area the big market that it is, imho the quakes would be a part of the mls scam and have 5 DPs, 20 mid level guys and zero league minimum players and still be under the salary cap. fisher gotta play mls game, bruh!

19. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    we looked like a really small team tonight. just completely fell apart against a quality side that played it's first ever MLS game in 2018. like Atlanta who are currently sitting atop the east, these expansion teams are leading the way and leaving the small teams even further behind.

mjlee22, Antonio2020, Goodsport and 2 others repped this.
  20. Honore de Ballsac

Oct 28, 2005
    France.
    And a training center, and a USL team, and stronger academies, and an NWSL team, and a visible, exciting path forward.

bsman, Antonio2020 and Goodsport repped this.
  21. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Remember when Dave Kaval would talk about adding an NWSL team now that they had a proper soccer stadium?

22. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I sometimes do get the idea that the ownership feels we should be eternally grateful to them for bringing us a team and stadium, regardless of the quality

I’m sure we’ll be in the vanguard on that, just like we were with an academy, right?

markmcf8 repped this.
  23. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I just finished watching a video of Almeyda speaking on how the team was playing beautifully. That was from the beginning of August. What a difference a four game debacle will do!

I think we are definitely a small team again!

24. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    We were always a small team - it's just that for a while we were a small team performing way over our heads.

Quakes05, TyffaneeSue, falvo and 2 others repped this.
  25. Antonio2020

Antonio2020 Member

Nov 28, 2016
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Kaval is all Oakland, A's and "pie in the sky" Howard Terminal now... %$#@! HIM!!!!