a small team

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by TyffaneeSue, Jan 9, 2014.

1. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Boeing is massive part of the military industrial complex, having eaten virtually all of its competitors over the past 40 years. That company deserves all the blowback coming from this situation.

markmcf8 and TyffaneeSue repped this.
  2. DotMPP

DotMPP 'Quakes fan in Stumptown

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 29, 2004
    SE Portland, OR
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They can't do this alone... There is the little issue of following FAA rules, which is akin to managing a medical device and having to deal with the FDA to make changes... There is more than Boeing and their SW fix alone involved in the process

3. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kind of like most industries the last 40 years. I do agree that if they are culpable they need to be held responsible to the fullest extent of the law.

4. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    The real issue is why most of the world immediately grounded the Boeing planes in question, while the FAA balked. During that interregnum it was alarming for me to listen to aviation experts interviewed on NPR explain what the rationale could possibly be and whether they were comfortable flying one of these planes. One said he would fly but wouldn't allow his family. Asked why, he talked about managing risk. It's pretty clear the ban should have been instituted immediately, and the investigation going forward should also probe why that didn't happen.

bobby_guzman repped this.
  5. DotMPP

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 29, 2004
    SE Portland, OR
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Always take the media with a grain of salt but there is a description of back and forth between the FAA and Boeing about the nature of the fix, drawing out the process and then the shutdown further delaying things. Grounding the plane at some point sure makes sense in hindsight but no one wanted to do it until a second crash occurred. If you believe the story being told, Boeing had a solution prior to the second crash.

6. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    I’m pretty sure that’s Boeing’s story.

bobby_guzman repped this.
  7. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I'm talking about after the second crash. British, European and Chinese officials fairly immediately banned the Boeing planes at issue, while the American FAA did not until yesterday. That's the interregnum I'm referring to.

One of the experts NPR interviewed during this time, a former FAA official, said that he had the highest professional respect for the British analog to the FAA and that if they were in favor of grounding it was a serious matter. That suggests to me that politics and money were playing a role in the unnecessary delay here in this country. Maybe that's not the case, but the issue now goes beyond the cause of these crashes and concerns the question of whether our aviation watchdogs are willing to sacrifice our safety for other considerations. As I've said, that also merits investigation.

bobby_guzman, DotMPP, markmcf8 and 3 others repped this.
  8. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #2983 markmcf8, Mar 14, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
    Um ... Ford Pinto?
    [​IMG]

9. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    #2984 Quakes05, Mar 14, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
    If you’re talking about their culpability for exploding gas tanks then (a) I’m old enough to remember that and, (b) that’s exactly right, like Firestone tread shedding tires or any manufacturer defect that costs lives, Ford was responsible.

markmcf8 repped this.
  10. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Even DC United (remember when they were one of the bottom teams) has two players on this list...
    1106355882407927808 is not a valid tweet id

bobby_guzman, Quakes05 and markmcf8 repped this.
  11. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    If we ‘win’ the wooden spoon two years in a row, do they retire it? Can we hang it from the rafters, like in hockey?

markmcf8 repped this.
  12. Venceremos

Venceremos Member

Jul 17, 2013
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    If MLS teams were cars, we would sure be a Pinto

13. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, probably, or maybe a Yugo.

But I was referring to the Boeing 737 Max 8. Ford knew the Pinto had exploding gas tank issues and chose not to fix it. Boeing knew they had a problem with this aircraft back in December, and they didn't fix it, nor ground the planes. Putting profit over people.

You know, thinking about it, we might even be a Trabant. We're not just terrible, nearly everything about our team needs to be replaced. Our GM, our terrible scouts, most of our players, some of the dweebs in marketing, whoever is in charge of getting sponsors. There's a long long list of people who need sacking. Sort of like the first step in repairing a Trabant is not to get one in the first place.

Go Quakes!!
    We're really, really terrible!!

- Mark

14. Venceremos

Venceremos Member

Jul 17, 2013
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Quakes fans knew the team will still have issues if the owner doesn't buy new good players, and he still went ahead and started the season without much roster improvement. I wish we can ground the team, but unfortunately they are going to NY and might experience more technical difficulties.

15. DotMPP

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 29, 2004
    SE Portland, OR
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I see... :thumbsup:

16. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    FISCHER OUT!

FIORANELLI OUT!

17. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First of all, fixed you post. ;)

Second of all, who replaces Fisher if he leaves? :confused:

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! :(

-G

hc897 repped this.
  18. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #2993 falvo, Mar 16, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2019
    We are the laughingstock of the league. I’ve seen midlevel fourth division sides better than this.

Que será será whatever will be will be, the Earthquakes suck you see , Que será será!

Beerking repped this.
  19. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    When the league owned teams and even after from what I recall, held coaches and GM's were held accountable for financial losses, season tickets sales , wins , losses and what is going on with the club. I still believe they are having to approve player signings as a single entity league. I can't imagine that no one from the league office doesn't or hasn't put pressure on the powers that be and what is happening to San Jose.

20. Scott Rohde

Scott Rohde Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 28, 2018
    Don Garber has said that Almeyda and GBS joining MLS is a sign of growth for the league. So that might have taken some pressure off of the Quakes if there ever was any. How do you put pressure on a multi-billionaire anyway? Maybe the other billionaire owners don't invite Fisher to the parties or something.

I think if MLS head office is putting pressure on anyone it is Chicago, New England, and New York City that aren't doing very well in some of the best markets.

For San Jose it depends on how you define the market. I think the whole point of this thread is that San Jose is a 'small team' in a 'small market' so maybe there isn't much expectations from the league. Of course this is frustrating to me and I guess most of us (judging from the size of this thread) because San Jose and the Bay Area is a great place and a great market that deserves a great team.

mjlee22 and bobby_guzman repped this.
  21. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Soo... who's excited for the 2020 season?

22. staudio

staudio Member+

Mar 7, 2008
    Marin
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Same old sh*t year after year after year.........I really want to go to a game (previous long time STH) but I’m not spending a dime on tickets, parking, concessions or team apparel until ownership changes.

Quakes05, bobby_guzman and Beerking repped this.
  23. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    People are predicting losses in the pre-game threads, but that's too easy.

Total points and goal differential going into the May 4 home game against FC Cincinnati?

First 3 games: 0 points -7 goal differential

Next 6 games:
    vs LAFC
    vs Portland
    @ Houston
    vs Sporting KC
    @ Seattle
    @ FC Dallas

I'm going to be optimistic (yes this is optimistic) and say 4 points (1-4-1 record) and -17 goal differential (so -10 in the upcoming games)...

24. SalinasQuakesFan

Mar 27, 2010
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    So never going to a game again then I take it.

25. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #3000 falvo, Mar 17, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2019
    Cincinnati was unthought of as having an expansion team just three years ago. They now have a new team and with their fan base are considered big time. Same can be said for Atlanta. No one thought they would draw more than maybe 15k when the Silverbacks were drawing an average of 4k fans a game in the USL. They are now a big time team drawing 70k. You are a small team only if your owners don't have any ambition. The Cali Clasico is considered the biggest rivalry in the league and I'm sure this can be carried over to other games. San Jose could also be a big market team as and I don't see why they shouldn't be.

Sactown Soccer repped this.