a small team

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by TyffaneeSue, Jan 9, 2014.

1. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    So when the new coach tweets shirtless pcs of himself, that's on Fisher? :)

2. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    You can argue it all you want, but you have a decade's worth of information now on what you can expect from the team, and you had several years of Oakland's history as evidence as well. That's well out of fraud territory. You might as well complain about the chef at a crappy restaurant you've eaten at a dozen times.

I am empathetic in the respect that the team isn't as good as we all want it to be, but the way you've chosen to manifest that frustration is possibly the least effective of any options available to you. Fisher isn't selling the team, and there's a quite possibly a higher chance of human life on Earth ceasing to exist before he does sell it.

bobby_guzman repped this.
  3. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    :D Fisher might ask Tom to ask Jesse to have a word with him. But if he's getting wins, who cares? Sometimes your biggest characters are your best performers, like Zlatan.

4. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    I'm honestly open to better options. What've you got?

5. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    The easy and only real answer is stop spending money on the team. If you are unhappy with its owner and how its being run, the only power you hold is to stop giving money to it.

Don't take this the wrong way, though. You have opinions on the team and the things that surround it as we all do and you can express them however you think is appropriate.

I just don't understand the mentality of bringing up the same complaints about Fisher when he's the least likely thing to change about the organization by leaps and bounds.

6. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    word around here late last season was that for years Fisher just didn't care about his soccer team in San Jose and now, supposedly, he does. I'm looking for signs of that. maybe getting a new coach is a sign of that, maybe these two player signings are a sign of that...maybe there's more player news to come? But so far, let's be honest, this offseason has been an absolute snoozer.

It was fans (led by Don, Ned, Colin and others) who were instrumental in bringing the team back...who's to say fans can't convince Fisher to find a better way forward for our once proud team?

7. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shouldn't be hard to do, since it looks like ManU manages it with just a pound coin.

8. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    More accurately Fisher is the ship's builder and owner. Jesse and Almeyda are the captains.
    Here is the boat that Fisher provided:
    [​IMG]

Here is Atlanta's:

[​IMG]

9. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    :D this analogy works for me.

these guys can row the hell out of that little dinghy but how are we ever going to catch that big beautiful yacht?

our only hope is to build a bigger boat.

Antonio2020 repped this.
  10. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Deep breaths!! Part of the odds making bit is what it takes to get fans to bet. Notice that the evil, cheating water-stealers are third on that list at 8 to 1. That's absurd! Even assuming that they are better than last season, they won't be challenging for the cup. Just no way. And the Timbers at only 12 to 1? It's about what it takes to make the fans of any given team pony up some cash on them, and thus, the filth get 8 to 1 odds, because their fans are stupid, whereas we get 100 to 1 because our fans know for certain that we won't be in the running. That is, we're not laying a bet at all, unless the odds are outrageous. So 100 to 1. We might bet a few bucks on that assuming that we'll lose it.

Go Quakes!!

- Mark

11. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

DotMPP and Quakes05 repped this.
  12. Antonio2020

Antonio2020 Member

Nov 28, 2016
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I was in the Navy, so I concur with this assessment re Howard Terminal Fisher..

Quakes05 and bobby_guzman repped this.
  13. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For multiple reasons, we are at the point where this season needs to produce in a positive direction (I.e. make playoffs, young players with potential, or coming together as a team) or we are done (season ticket holders since day 1 in 1996). With three of my son's moving on to adults, we are down to just three tickets. We moved from VIP seats to platinum seats.

I don't feel any love from the team, the stadium is good, but not compelling enough. So, that leaves the team on the field. One magical season (2012) is not enough and there has been no positive reason (I.e. player development, system of play) which drives me to think that there is a long term solution.

So, guess what? We are going to win the MLS Cup in 2019!

14. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Not sure what this means.

15. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It means that I'm getting old. For the first ten years, we were spoiled with the interaction and level of transparency with the team. When their were coach meetings, you could ask questions and get a good answer.

Today, the Quakes staff is nice and we get plenty of free stuff, but the "new"-ness is gone. It just feels different.

Add the fact that the team moved once and I don't give a beep about MLS where as prior 2006 I watched almost every game and read about player status from each team and you get current state. My level of "give a sh$t" is at a low level.

TyffaneeSue and bsman repped this.
  16. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes

17. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    This thread just celebrated its fifth birthday. I know it's not the longest-running thread, but still, it's got legs.

Sad that five years later, the label still fits.

18. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not to mention that this coming May, I'll have been posting on BigSoccer for twenty years. :eek:

I'm old. :(

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! :cool:

-G

bobby_guzman and TyffaneeSue repped this.
  19. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I think there's a Quakes game on your 20th anniversary, Goodsie. That's another positive omen.

bobby_guzman and Goodsport repped this.
  20. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey we should start recognizing people with BigSoccer 5, 10, 15, 20, 25 year pins!
    Or if you're a millenial, you get 5, 10, 15, 20, 25 month pins.

bobby_guzman, Goodsport and TyffaneeSue repped this.
  21. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I'm ostensibly in line for a 15th anniversary BigSoccer pin -- except it appears I joined on Leap Year Day in 2004. :)

22. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    hey, looks like I joined before you. You better give me more respect! :D
    Isn't Leap Year Day the 29th, not the 28th?

23. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    My avatar says I joined on the 29th.

24. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    right to the left of your post, it says "Feb 28, 2004". That's not your avatar?

25. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Whether it's my avatar or whatever, I believe it says the 29th. One of us needs our eyes checked.