a small team

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by TyffaneeSue, Jan 9, 2014.

1. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    We parted ways with Marvin because we're a small club, and we couldn't afford Justin's salary so we traded down and made space. How does it feel to have your team run by Goodwill Store shoppers and coupon clippers? All right, I realize it's not my money, but mummy always told me that it's just as easy to love a rich team as a poor one, and when I was driving home tonight and heard about the TFC $10mm Defoe transfer plus a contract with annual salary in that same range, plus Michael Bradley, and let's not forget Justin and DeRo, I started feeling sorry for myself, being a fan of a smaller team that seems doomed to inherit the hand-me-downs of the BIG CLUBS.

Bottom line: we're competing against teams whose owners are willing to spend $$$ on players, and yes, I am grateful for the stadium (or will be eventually) but it feels as though we're going to fall farther and farther behind as we scramble for the bargain basement castoffs while other clubs are ponying up for impact players.

2. Quakesss

Quakesss Member+

Nov 16, 2013
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Brace yourself for Athletics68 and Earthshaker's stupid reasons for why its ok to be a small team.

3. Marinquake

Marinquake Member

May 26, 2011
    Marin
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unfortunately, there does seem 2B 2 separate leagues developing - Sheattle, da Gals, RedBs...and everyone else...

It could be worse... we could be Chivas Norte...

4. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where did I say it was "ok" to be a small team? I just pointed out where our owners had invested tens of millions of dollars in the team when you said they hadn't invested. And I pointed out that spending a shitload of money does not necessarily gain you championships or fans in MLS. No one was complaining a year ago when the Quakes had the best season this league has seen in over a decade.
    And tell me, do you know the bottom line of every team in the league?
    Why isn't SKC spending tons of money, yet are still able to win MLS Cup?

5. Earthshaker

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't realize we were done signing players for this coming year.

markmcf8 repped this.
  6. Quakesss

Quakesss Member+

Nov 16, 2013
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Look at there stadium and their academy. Also a partnership with Orlando. They are better run then us.

Beerking repped this.
  7. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    True that, and when we pick up an EPL-caliber CAM, I'll stop feeling so envious of those other teams. But if we've got a game-changing acquisition on the horizon, why is our coach making small time excuses?

Beerking repped this.
  8. lurking

lurking Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We traded Marvin because he didn't care and often didn't try. We traded Morrow because every team in the league has to deal with the salary cap no matter how big or how small. Marvin had to go, so that doesnt bother me at all. Morrow you can question the wisdom of, but the factors that forced it wasn't somehow unique to our club.

TFC sells out a 20k publicly funded stadium. Seattle sells out a whatever they decide to set a 50k publicly funded stadium. The Galaxy are near sellout a 24k publicly funded stadium. SKC is selling out a publicly funded SSS. Are you catching the trend here? Meanwhile we are leasing a 12k college stadium, while under the liability of building a 70 million dollar privately funded stadium on the side.

The teams that spend lots and lots of dollars on players also take in lots and lots of revenue. Until we join that club in terms of revenue, do not expect to compete with those teams in salary. Now, would I like to see a bit more ambition? Sure, but at this point there are so many stupid and childish complaints going on on this board I really cant be bothered to join in.

blacksun, markmcf8, Via_Chicago and 10 others repped this.
  9. Qrom

Qrom Member

Oct 26, 2007
    east bay
    luckily the parity in MLS is still like 10 levels deep. I think this team could possibly make the playoffs maybe.

10. JohnWP

JohnWP Member+

Jun 24, 2004
    Monterey, CA
    I'm gonna sit the fence here a bit. First, I don't mind too much that we don't go after the flashy, big money names. It would be fun and generate some excitement but to this point there's really not much evidence that big-name DPs lead to greater success on the field. On the other hand, I kinda like being the plucky underdog that others underestimate, especially when we have a 2012-like year. I like the reputation of taking unheralded players and forging them into a mean blue-collar machine.

HOWEVER, I too was rankled upon reading about Doyle's calling us "small". I would like to hear Doyle clarify what he means by "small" team. Bad, bad, bad, bad choice of words. In Europe there is some honor in being a "small" team that manages to punch above its weight and stay in the top flight league season after season without getting relegated. But in MLS, a salary-capped league that is supposed to be built to emphasize parity, where every team is on the same theoretically level playing field. . . there should be no such thing as a "small" team. It's one thing to have a different philosophy regarding player acquisition and roster development. It's quite another to announce your intention to be inferior.

11. Earthshaker

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A stadium that would not have been built without public money. A partnership with a USL club? Whoop-de-do.:rolleyes:

12. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, while they reportedly got a sweetheart deal with the university there for the land, their stadium and surrounding facilities were all privately funded.

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! :(

-G

markmcf8 repped this.
  13. lurking

lurking Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Doh, thought there was some local money kicked in too.

14. Earthshaker

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Galaxy were 22,100 last year in a stadium that holds 27,000.

15. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    Lew Wolff is all about the bottom line, make as much as you can while spending as little as possible. And make no mistake, he's not building that stadium (finally) out of the kindness of his heart, its sole purpose is as a revenue generating machine. That in itself isn't evil but don't pass it off as largess.

mjlee22, ant0n, Quakes05 and 1 other person repped this.
  16. fadedtoblack

fadedtoblack Member+

Nov 6, 2007
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I must have been hiding under a rock, but when did capitalism invade pro sports?

17. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    Some deluded people still think it's a charity, I was setting the record strait.

18. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    With Defoe and Bradley as acquisitions Toronto is making some serious moves in the offseason while we spin our small wheels with pedestrian players.

markmcf8 and TyffaneeSue repped this.
  19. DotMPP

DotMPP 'Quakes fan in Stumptown

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 29, 2004
    SE Portland, OR
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's so good at making money in real estate, is makes no sense that he's purely interested in profit from a sports stadium... Just does not seem like there is a big ROI...

markmcf8 repped this.
  20. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    Lew failed to capitalize on the success of 2012, now we're in re-build mode and I'm just not seeing any hunger to win. If we're not in it to win it, what are we doing? How do we expect to market this team to new fans? Lew needs to step up his game.

TyffaneeSue and Beerking repped this.
  21. SJTillIDie

SJTillIDie Member+

Aug 23, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    you're both wrong. pro sports teams are works of art.

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/6874079/psychic-benefits-nba-lockout

besides, speaking from a strictly capitalist point of view, most pro sports teams operate on a small annual loss. the owner makes their money when they sell the team for a fat profit after owning it for 10-20 years. the underlying asset is appreciating in value every year.

NedZ repped this.
  22. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    "Small" may work in some markets. I don't know. But this is Silicon Valley, home of Go Big or Go Home (however you interpret that). A "small" soccer team is one that you take your kids to watch...if there aren't any good movies to see.

When I was in school, professors would talk derisively about the $10 million company. A company that had a decent product but lacked the vision and resource commitment to become a real contender in the marketplace. I don't mind that we don't have celebrity players, but when the owners seem to be unwilling to make a go-ahead investment, when the team is broadcasting its small mindset, well, most of us will stick around but who else is going to join the party?

NedZ, Beerking and SJTillIDie repped this.
  23. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually their stadium was privately financed.

24. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I'm not sure this type of thinking applies to pro sports teams the way it applies to an individual business in a different type of market. Pro sports leagues rarely have real competition since the locations of each individual team are set up in a way to be anti-competitive (look at all the BS with the A's and Giants to see how extremely competitive non-competition can be). The other thing is a team doesn't have to worry about operating at a loss all the time. League wide revenue sharing (which MLS has) protects individual teams. If the league is making money, then each team benefits, even if one or two markets don't perform optimally. Now, that isn't an excuse to run a poor team since if that happens with enough teams, then league revenue goes down and there are no more profits to share. What it does mean is that trying to grow your brand to the point of eliminating your competitors would mean no more market to operate in (although this is basically impossible with the implementation of salary caps and the sheer number of teams in the league).

Now, the Quakes certainly have room to grow, but I would say they've done a pretty good job increasing their attendance, winning some games and setting themselves up for more success as a team overall. Personally, I'm not really bothered by the idea of being small. That doesn't signify not being competitive to me. I'd take a comment like that from Doyle over Lalas' characterizations of a superclub each and every day.

25. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    #25 JazzyJ, Jan 9, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2014
    My all-small Quakes team:

------Amarikwa ----- Fucito
    Alas--- Baca --- Robles --- Chavez
    Guerrero ---Garcia --- Morrow --- WalMart
    -----------------Buschy ---------------

If you want small, we can go small!!