A question from a parent... a coach interferes with a throw in...

Discussion in 'Referee' started by Cactus837, Dec 25, 2018.

1. Cactus837

Cactus837 New Member

Real Salt Lake
    United States
    Mar 19, 2017
    An email I got. I figured I would ask here before I answered.

“What should happen when a coach standing on the sideline physically gets in the way of a player from the opposing team who is about to throw the ball in, with the coach saying “you can’t throw that in my team has to set up?””

Would your answer be different for Rec league vs a competitive league?

Thanks.

2. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    Of course context matters. Depending on context, it is either a stern warning or a dismissal. A second offense should certainly be a dismissal.

But let’s get back to context. This simply won’t happen with a remotely knowledgeable coach. If this is happening, it is most likely a rec league with poorly trained (or completely untrained) coaches. In that context, a stern warning and explanation to the coach of how soccer works is what’s called for. But let’s face it—there’s also a good chance that a league like that is using poorly trained, uncertified refs.

3. voiceoflg

voiceoflg Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    A coach who does that likely has his players stand with their toes in front of the ball to delay a free kick so his team can get set up.

4. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe. If it's anything above U12 or U13 and it's a competitive league, I'll be dismissing the coach on the spot. If it's rec and it didn't almost cause a brawl to break out, I may (emphasis on may) give only a very very very strong warning.

5. fairplayforlife

fairplayforlife Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This^

Competitive league, bye bye.

Rec you have been warned for the final and only time.

GoDawgsGo, IASocFan, YoungRef87 and 6 others repped this.
  6. Rufusabc

Rufusabc Member+

May 27, 2004
    Had a parent interfere once. Parent was able to get to his next appointment earlier than he thought he was going to.

7. ptref

ptref Member

Manchester United
    United States
    Aug 5, 2015
    Bowling Green, KY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No question, dismiss the coach immediately. And hope that is doesn't spark a mass confrontation.

dadman repped this.
  8. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree it depends on the situation. U-littles or low level rec, I agree with the stern warning or caution (if appropriate). It may be a good opportunity to check if the coach has an assistant available.

voiceoflg repped this.
  9. Timbuck

Timbuck Member

Jul 31, 2012
    Teach the player to turn around and throw the ball as hard as possible at the coach.
    “Ball never went in. Do it again”

10. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Um ...

voiceoflg and dadman repped this.
  11. Geko

Geko Member

Sacremento Geckos
    United States
    May 25, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To agree with @Bubba Atlanta , I would venture to say if you say this even jokingly and the player actually does it, you are probably going to get your badge revoked pretty quick. I wouldn't put it past a crazy coach to throw out conspiracy to assault charges.