A question about the Montreal badge

Discussion in 'Montreal Impact' started by asitis, Jul 1, 2019.

1. asitis

asitis Member+

Mar 30, 2005
    Charlottesville
    When Montreal entered MLS the new badge had the slogan, "TOUS POUR GAGNER", across the top. I've noticed recently on the representations of the badge that I've seen (on the website, the shirts, etc.), the slogan no longer appears. Has it been dropped from the badge? And, if so, when? I've been trying to keep up with the evolution of the MLS club badges. Often the changes are so subtle, they escape my notice. Any info would be appreciated.

asitis

2. Daniel from Montréal

Aug 4, 2000
    Montréal
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Hey, hope you actually get this.

Long story short:
    - The club had an unofficial slogan for the 2009 USL playoffs, which it won: "Whatever it takes"
    - It was then adopted officially, with a French version: "Tout pour gagner" --> Everything/Anything to win
    - When the Impact joined MLS, they dropped the English original and tweaked the French to "Tous pour gagner" or Everyone to win. The problem is that, just like this English translation, it's not gramatically correct. Bonus: you can't have your slogan on your kit's logo in MLS.
    - So it wasn't really popular with the fans (or at least the ones who were'nt indifferent to it). And now it's kind of... gone. Except in-person at the stadium, where there are giant logos.

Hopefully they revert one day to the original. It's ok guys, no one will think it means cheating is fine as long as you win.

msilverstein47 and asitis repped this.
  3. asitis

asitis Member+

Mar 30, 2005
    Charlottesville
    Excellent. I very much appreciate the explanation. MLS really is a funny creature.

asitis

Daniel from Montréal repped this.