A PDL team for columbia, good or bad idea?

Discussion in 'Charleston Battery' started by AguiluchoMerengue, Feb 5, 2009.

1. wellington

wellington Member

Jun 4, 1999
    Charlotte, NC
    Club:
    Charlotte
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I think part of the problem is the perception that the product is inferior to what they are used to in their homeland. Maybe so, but watching live soccer is better than wathcing no soccer. They'd pay $25 to watch a Mexican friendly between reserve MFL squads, but not pay $8 to watch their local team.

Another part of the disconnect is a lack of players on the field that the Hispanic/Mexican community can relate to. If teams have a few Mexicans playing that would go a long way in establishing a connection between the club and that part of the community. The Battery have always had a few Latin players, but never a Mexican from my knowledge. That's no guarantee that fans will come out in large numbers, but it would be a start.

The Battery due to their ownership has an Angloesque persona. Who knows that may put off some in the Hispanic community. However, the Battery have tried to reach out. They had their games on a local Spanish channel. I'm not sure if they ever had radio ads, but they did place ads in Hispanic newspapers, etc.

I think the biggest hurdle is the top one -- it's sort of like the Eurosnobs and their view of MLS. If it's not EPL then it's not good enough. In a similar manner, if it's not MFL then it's a waste of time. It's a pity because a large Hispanic contingent would definitely enhance the atmosphere at matches.

Just my 2 cents...

2. AguiluchoMerengue

Oct 4, 2008
    South Carolina
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    and again, when marketing is done right, it should work.

im 3 times state champ, central american champ, salvadoran hispanic. point is, is people with this kind of mind bringing people to the stadium.

marketing withouth real knowledge or the marketed can be a waste of time, nobody is going to pay any attention to a dude that plays 3rd division in Peru, he may be good enough to be here but who is Peruvian in Charleston or South Carolina?

Now if you would hire Valderrama as a hispanic marketer it will be different, how about bringing Rene Higuita? Cheyo Quintanilla? Saturnino Cardozo (Paraguayan well known my mexicans) or Paco Palencia?

When things are done right, there is not reason for not getting results.

I've like to think Im in the right track.

Sometimes just a marketing degree wont do the job if your knowledge of soccer is Clemson soccer you know...

Anyway, good stuff, I love this conversations bc it usually envolved people who loves soccer and Im one of them.

3. Theonefish

Theonefish Member

Jul 28, 2008
    Greenville SC
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is a big problem though. The potential crowd has the money, but its going to be difficult to get somebody to pony up the money to start a team, and to find a sponsor for a stadium. Nobody wants to spend that kind of money right now.

Slightly OT, one thing that does need to happen to Greenville is a soccer bar. There are a few irish pubs that I know of but as far as I know the only places that show any games are general chain sports bars/grills. Bailey's is my favorite place to go but I've never run into another fan there.

4. Mister Obvious

Arsenal
    United States
    May 20, 2006
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Battery games are replayed during the week on the local spanish television channel. Tell your brother to come and talk with the Battery, they have several interns now.

5. goindownsouth

goindownsouth Member+

Jun 19, 2006
    Central, NJ
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    You could not be more accurate. Barley's does not open early enough and the owner cares nothing for football (he is an Aussie), Connolly's and Fitzpatrick's have the makings, but neither owner really gives a damn.

Indigo Joe's on Woodruff carries Setanta Sports and all, but I am not sure they open early enough to make it worth while.

The question is... in Greenville... if there would be a soccer pub, would anyone come?

6. wellington

wellington Member

Jun 4, 1999
    Charlotte, NC
    Club:
    Charlotte
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Build it and they will come...

With the economic downturn, alcohol will be more popular than ever. I don't know about the soccer (football), but alcohol will do well.

Any good locations in Greenville?

7. goindownsouth

goindownsouth Member+

Jun 19, 2006
    Central, NJ
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    The West End, near the Greenville Drive baseball stadium, comes to mind. Space is cheap down there as revitalization is in full effect.

8. wellington

wellington Member

Jun 4, 1999
    Charlotte, NC
    Club:
    Charlotte
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yea. That would probably be my top choice, too. That is a nice area -- it sure has changed a lot. Something like Madra Rua in North Charleston would probably do well there (start out small like they did) -- there are a lot of businesses in the area so the lunch crowd would be good and then focus on people coming in for drinks after work; during the summer it would be perfect with the Drive playing.

9. goindownsouth

goindownsouth Member+

Jun 19, 2006
    Central, NJ
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Yep. With no pub down that way, it could work. That said, I do not see it happening.

10. JBG - Bribe Taker

Mar 17, 2000
    Mt. Pleasant, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess this will come off sounding anti-soccer but I try to look at these things from a business standpoint because in the US, that's what drives most soccer decisions. As a soccer fan, sure, we want it all. But if it was my nickel footing the bill, would I be so gung-ho? I just don't see the PDL as anything more than a way for college players to be able to play fulltime during the summer and not lose their college eligibility. Yes, I guess that's important to the actual players doing the playing but I don't see where that translates into a viable business plan. Other than Des Moines and a few other successful PDL teams (a very small number), attendance at PDL matches seems to be mostly on the MCI plan......only friends and family. As for developing players, colleges mainly do that in this country & I don't see that changing anytime soon. I guess they're nice to have if there's not much else going on in your area but I certainly don't see it as a show stopper.

11. goindownsouth

goindownsouth Member+

Jun 19, 2006
    Central, NJ
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    JBG brings up a very valid point...

12. Call me Ralph.

Call me Ralph. New Member

Aug 27, 2008
    New England
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, and? That's the entire point of PDL! :rolleyes:
    Viable business plan? Viable business plan? The players play for free. If you can get enough paying fans to cover your modest regional travel costs you've exceeded most PDL "business plans". People don't start PDL teams to make money.
    You seem to be missing the entire point of PDL.
    Badly.

Why do you think the USL created the PDL in the first place?
    MLS and USL academy systems are already changing that, and this is happening right now. Eventually college soccer will be entirely irrelevant (in regards to developing pro soccer players) except for the occasional late bloomers and bench warmers and reserve team candidates. Even recently some of the best youth players the USA has produced have started to skip college soccer entirely and go straight into a professional system.
    "Show stopper"? That's a strawman argument, surely. I don't think anyone was saying that a PDL team would be the second coming of the NY Cosmos.

13. Call me Ralph.

Call me Ralph. New Member

Aug 27, 2008
    New England
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With the right ownership it could easily happen. We aren't talking about a huge financial investment to put a small SSS and a USL D2 team in downtown Greenville, but it takes someone with money who wants to make it happen. Once invested though you wouldn't need very large crowds for a USL D2 team to break even financially, especially if the SSS could also be used for concerts and the like. This is the sort of thing that could happen tomorrow, or then again it might not happen for another twenty years.

14. wellington

wellington Member

Jun 4, 1999
    Charlotte, NC
    Club:
    Charlotte
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Bribe Taker is right on the money... the PDL is a failed business model. It only survives from the generous donations of the owners/sponsors. On paper it looks like it does not cost much to field a team, but after all is said and done you are looking at $20,000 minimum up to $30,000. It's really hard to find sponsor $$$ for a PDL outfit, so you are relying mostly on ticket sales. So, unless you are averaging 400-500 per game you are going to lose money. Trust me, getting 400 out to a PDL match is not easy.

If you are going to take the plunge I'd say go for USL2. You need the money to invest in infrastructure (i.e. front office, marketing).

15. JBG - Bribe Taker

Mar 17, 2000
    Mt. Pleasant, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some PDL players are paid, I forget the number they are allowed. I've seen figures in the $200-300K to run a PDL club. There are costs, it ain't free. And a couple hundred paying fans a game for a short season isn't going to come close to covering the costs. You're telling me a short PDL season with rotating rosters from year to year develops players better than 4 years of a stable college environment where the same players stay together? I don't agree. Say what you want about the level of college play & preparation but PDL doesn't do better, no way. Now, as a final comment, the reason college soccer will still be in the mix for US players for years to come is because the vast, vast majority of US players are not going to make millions of dollars in their soccer careers. Having a college degree to fall back on when you hang em up is still a very good idea.

16. AguiluchoMerengue

Oct 4, 2008
    South Carolina
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    The idea is good, it will be awesome to have a PDL team in columbia, now is it realistic? i dont know, this is what this thread is all about, to find out if it can happend.

I think Greenville would be good for a USL2 team, who knows if they can or want to do it but they should do ok.

as far as making profit, soccer is not as the stage of making profit in this country just yet, it will take a little more time for soccer to generate great money. most people right now involved into soccer is pure love for the game.

a PDL project should be innicated by people with money and love for the game, bc if there is people with money with not passion for the game, it will be a dead project from the begining.

Im sure once soccer gets big and real money starts flowing around soccer, the big money makers would jump in, but for now the realiaty is that really not many people involved with soccer in america is making that much money.

i will get around asking a few people here in columbia about a PDL team, and will come back with some feedback. at least ill let you guys know what the soccer people here think of the idea.

im going to some games to charleston and if greenville gets a team, count on me there too. ;)

17. goindownsouth

goindownsouth Member+

Jun 19, 2006
    Central, NJ
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Absolutely correct.

18. L-E Dude

L-E Dude New Member

Jul 4, 2006
    Rock Hill
    Manchester Meadows
    Decent drive for Cola, G-ville, Clemson, S-burg, Charlotte, etc.. crowds
    Huge club scenes with Discoveries, CESA, + NC clubs

19. wellington

wellington Member

Jun 4, 1999
    Charlotte, NC
    Club:
    Charlotte
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yea. That is a very nice facility. It would be perfect for PDL or NPSL team. I could definitely see people in Rock Hill getting behind a team.

20. AguiluchoMerengue

Oct 4, 2008
    South Carolina
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    well you have charlotte eagles next to you man.

look at columbia. the battery is 2 hours away...

selfish! :p