A PDL team for columbia, good or bad idea?

Discussion in 'Charleston Battery' started by AguiluchoMerengue, Feb 5, 2009.

1. AguiluchoMerengue

Oct 4, 2008
    South Carolina
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Wouldnt that be a great way for Battery to have a team preparing young prospects?

How many of you actually think is a good idea? could it be possible?

Plus you could see if Columbia and the Carolinas really have what I takes to go MLS.

2. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There was some talk about Coumbia and a PDL team awhile ago. Infact I think it was past the tallking stage and into the looking for a stadium stage.

I think PDL would be a good fit for Columbia. There are several college and universities in the general area.

All we need is a coupel of us to get a few hundred thousands dollars and we will be god to go.

Mike

3. AguiluchoMerengue

Oct 4, 2008
    South Carolina
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I remember corner kicks owner, jay or something. I think he told me they used to have a pro or semipro club in columbia back in the days, idk what happened to it though.

Lack of fans or interest I guess.

Would the battery be interested in helping? im saying since they already know how to run a profesional team and everything.

It will be awesome to have something here other than the gamecocks.

I wonder what happened to the team you are saying I guess I gone have to research a bit more.

4. Mister Obvious

Arsenal
    United States
    May 20, 2006
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Back in the mid 90s, the team was called the Columbia Heat.

5. Sandlapper

Sandlapper New Member

Jan 30, 2007
    South Carolina
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There was one in Greenville called the Roar, Royals, or something. Myrtle Beach had the Myrtle Beach Boyz who turned into the SeaDawgs in the 90's.

6. goindownsouth

goindownsouth Member+

Jun 19, 2006
    Central, NJ
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Bad idea... There needs to be one in Greenville. Come on, we're starving here!

7. Mister Obvious

Arsenal
    United States
    May 20, 2006
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought Greenville had the South Caroilna Shamrocks, not to be confused with Sham Wow!

8. Nacional Tijuana

Nacional Tijuana St. Louis City

St. Louis City SC
    May 6, 2003
    San Diego, Calif.
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Shamrocks are from long ago, maybe even the USISL days. Then came the Greenville Lions (not the Roar, which is actually sadly used in Brisbane, Queensland, Australia for their A-League team).

Now, nothing for the upstate. Too bad, with Clemson in the area, and I believe USCU (Spartans) is transitioning to DI.

I used to live in Highlands, NC, so I'd love the region to get a team. Carolina to MLS would rock my world, too, but that would be in Charlotte or Raleigh.

9. AguiluchoMerengue

Oct 4, 2008
    South Carolina
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    what happened to all these teams?

10. Call me Ralph.

Call me Ralph. New Member

Aug 27, 2008
    New England
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You know the Germans always make good stuff.

11. Call me Ralph.

Call me Ralph. New Member

Aug 27, 2008
    New England
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Downtown Greenville, with the walking bridge over the river and falls, is quite lovely. IIRC I saw some signs there for a downtown minor league baseball park nearby. Someone with the money and connections should build a small downtown soccer park in Greenville, suitable for PDL or USL D2. It really could work; lots of potential walkup ticket sales on weekends if you build a SSS in downtown Greenville.

12. Sandlapper

Sandlapper New Member

Jan 30, 2007
    South Carolina
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Myrtle Beach Peligans is what happened. Don't know what happened to the Greenville Lions?

13. Mister Obvious

Arsenal
    United States
    May 20, 2006
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does the Stone family still have any UMBRO holdings? They donated a lot for the Furman stadium.

14. AguiluchoMerengue

Oct 4, 2008
    South Carolina
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    this is what i found out abot Columbia Heat, first they were called Columbia Spirit.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Columbia_Heat

In 1993, the Columbia Spirit entered the USISL. Following the season, the team was renamed the Columbia Heat. In 1995, the USISL split into two leagues, the Professional and Premier (Amateur) Leagues. Columbia spent the season in the Premier League before withdrawing and folding at the end of the season. The team played in Columbia, South Carolina; at the University of South Carolina, on Eugene E. Stone III Stadium.

[edit] Year-by-year

YearDivisionLeagueRegular SeasonPlayoffsOpen Cup1993N/AUSISL Outdoor9th AtlanticDid not qualifyN/A1994N/AUSISL Outdoor6th AtlanticSizzling NineN/A1995N/AUSISL Amateur9th EasternDid not qualifyN/A

INteresting huh?

15. wellington

wellington Member

Jun 4, 1999
    Charlotte, NC
    Club:
    Charlotte
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    The Greenville Lions folded years ago. They played at refurbished Sirrine Stadium. They ran out of money. They were criticized for playing on the wrong side of Greenville -- that was before the revitalization of the West End -- too far from youth soccer hotbeds -- Eastside, Greer, etc. Greenville now has Performance FC of the NPSL...

http://www.performancefcsoccer.com/Home/tabid/2303/Default.aspx

I'd say that Greenville would be better for a USL team compared to Columbia. Not that Columbia is a bad city, but USC athletics has such a stranglehold on sports in that city. Just ask the Columbia Inferno hockey team...

16. goindownsouth

goindownsouth Member+

Jun 19, 2006
    Central, NJ
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I personally think a USL club would do well in Greenville. There is money here, even now, which is crucial. And I believe there would be backing for a soccer-specific stadium so long as it were of the right size and in the right location.

I am dreaming and know this will likely never happen my lifetime. Then again, I said Philly would not get an MLS team either...

17. wellington

wellington Member

Jun 4, 1999
    Charlotte, NC
    Club:
    Charlotte
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    When you look at the growth/money within South Carolina, a lot of it is taking place along the I-85 corridor from Anderson up thru Spartanburg. I'd say it is only a matter of time before Greenville gets a USL club. However, it has to been done right (like the Charleston Battery).

18. AguiluchoMerengue

Oct 4, 2008
    South Carolina
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    why doesnt greenville join usl 2? and pdl in columbia? :D we need a club in columbia too!

19. goindownsouth

goindownsouth Member+

Jun 19, 2006
    Central, NJ
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    No question. I may have to get down to Charleston and talk to some folks much more intelligent than I to see how we could go about making something like this happen...

I smell a movement starting!

20. goindownsouth

goindownsouth Member+

Jun 19, 2006
    Central, NJ
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Purely from a financial and aesthetic standpoint, Greenville is FAR more attractive an option than Columbia. That is merely reality.

21. AguiluchoMerengue

Oct 4, 2008
    South Carolina
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I know there is a good Salvi community in Greenville, a huge Colombian, and there should be mexicans too.

You should be able to survive on usl 2, i think!

While Columbia is still not as diverse, so I think a PDL team for here would be great, i mean really we need some soccer here, and I dont think Columbia is ready for a real pro team while a PDL team could be what we need.

Think about it, Charleston USL1, Greenville USL2, and Columbia PDL :cool: sounds like hardcore soccer to me.

I think Columbia would do alright with a PDL team, there is a lot of demand here, the passion may not be part of the culture but we should have enough entusiasm to come out with the PDL Club.

22. Theonefish

Theonefish Member

Jul 28, 2008
    Greenville SC
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is a humongous Mexican/Latin American population in Greenville, as well as GTC, Furman, and NGU from which to draw potential fans. Definitely can't forget European/Asian transplants (I play pickup with a few German and Japanese guys all the time) working for BMW and other international companies here.
    Not to mention the fact that many suburban towns are within driving distance of Downtown in Greenville, Spartanburg, and Anderson counties.

The Greenville Drive minor league baseball team does alright for itself, and I see no reason why a USL-2 team couldn't work here as well. Its just a matter of finding the money.

23. Mister Obvious

Arsenal
    United States
    May 20, 2006
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mexicans won't spend the money. The Battery has tried every way possible, short of giving the tickets away to attract that crowd to games.

24. goindownsouth

goindownsouth Member+

Jun 19, 2006
    Central, NJ
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    There are some BIG assumptions being made here. What else is here? Money. More money, IMHO, than in Columbia. People in Greenville have disposable income for such things.

I am not going to get into a pissing match here, but Greenville is, by far, a better choice for any level of football than Columbia.

25. AguiluchoMerengue

Oct 4, 2008
    South Carolina
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy

Ill be interested to know who is in charge of marketing the hispanics or Mexicans in Charleston.

What strategies they've used in the past to promote soccer among mexicans.

Soccer is in most latinos blood, so I dont see a reason why we wont hang around soccer most of life time.

Sometimes I wish I was a business major so I could try to help but Im not really good with math and stuff but again you could find people like me who is into marketing and advertising.

In fact, my brother is a business major, he may be looking for a palce to do an intership next semester, let me know if interested I can probably talk to him.

If marketed well, I just dont see Mexicans and Latinos not coming in a big number.

Think of MLS, they are doing better now bc they are advertizing better to the latino community.

I want Columbia to have a PDL team, it will be great, you guys can do what you want in Greenville.