A New York expansion team not named the Cosmos?

Discussion in 'New York City FC' started by Unak78, Mar 22, 2012.

1. Skippysasquirrel

May 11, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. raymondleone

raymondleone Member

Aug 7, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. Utherhimo

Utherhimo Member

Dec 28, 2006
    Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    the cosmos where never serious and all smoke and mirrors.

4. EPJr

EPJr Member+

Los Angeles FC
    United States
    Mar 21, 2009
    Richmond VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. TerminusFooty

TerminusFooty Member+

Feb 4, 2012
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looked at the website. Man City colors, Man City crest as the little browser icon, links promoting Man City's site and their tour. Does this mean no unique identity for NYCFC, or is all this temporary? Anyone heard anything? Will the two clubs have similar crests and colors like Chivas USA and their parent club?

6. aetraxx7

aetraxx7 Member+

Jun 25, 2005
    Des Moines, IA
    Club:
    Des Moines Menace
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Considering that it was just announced, I would guess most of it is just a place holder. The colors might stay, but the badges (Yankees logos abound as well) will change as the club starts to develop.
    For reference, when the Minnesota Wild and AHL announced that the Houston Aeros were relocating to Des Moines, a website was quickly put up with a hodgepodge of Wild, Aeros, Iowa Stars, and Iowa Chops pics. It just seems like that is the way business is done these days...

7. citysoccer83

citysoccer83 Member

Jan 28, 2011
    yeah, but i must admit this is a rollercoaster of emotions today. i am happy that NYC is finally looking like we are getting a team, but i am not pleased that the team seems to have no identity. Having the same colors is one thing, but the website basically looks like a shrine to ManCity. Please tell me this will change over time. and please tell me that they will have some level headed US-based person helping with the decisions. I feel like while im sure the FO of foreign clubs know the sport, they think they can just plop anything in front of US eyes and we'll watch. Thats fine if we are the B team, but just dont be as stupid as to call us the ManCity B team.

8. DemmahoM

DemmahoM Member

Apr 1, 2005
    New Haven CT
    Club:
    --other--
    All I can say is congratulations guys.

Forget all the BS about the owners, it's finally happened. I'm just happy it did.

9. atlantefc

atlantefc Member

Jul 18, 2006
    F*dabig4neveryleague
    Club:
    Charlton Athletic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    They better get rid of all the MCFC stuff on their websites. I am happy for NYC but something tells me the team might end up being an ad for ManC :/ I hope I am wrong though, I hope they go the logical way and use any colors but City's and try to build an identity. NY has so much potential it doesn't need City's shadow to be big.

Congrats , all the best

10. DemmahoM

DemmahoM Member

Apr 1, 2005
    New Haven CT
    Club:
    --other--
    Honestly, I don't think the MLS is stupid enough to experiment with another Chivas. Also, Man City have some of the best marketing people money can buy, and they know for sure that for NYCFC to be big it needs its own identity.

I'm hoping for the colors to be blue/white/orange, same as the NYC flag and Knicks. It would be a unique template too.

11. Roger Allaway

Roger Allaway Member+

Apr 22, 2009
    Warminster, Pa.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For those of us around the country, we see a big concern in the ManCity connection, and worry about NY2 becoming a ManCity farm team. But for people in the area where they want to build their stadium, in the heart of Mets territory, ManCity may be the least of their problems. Local opposition to that stadium was already a difficult hurdle without adding the Yankees to the mix.

12. Rumrunner

Rumrunner Member

May 13, 2013
    Long Island
    Club:
    FC Bayern München

13. Rumrunner

Rumrunner Member

May 13, 2013
    Long Island
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    I agree completely with the colors and identity . Hopefully mls realizes this. Oh and no monster energy sponsor , that would be cruel and unusual lol

14. Polemarch

Polemarch Member

Apr 27, 2013
    Sacramento, California
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Obviously this is just going to be a farm team for the Yankees.

15. sozopol

sozopol Member

Jul 22, 2011
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Maybe sky blue won't necessarily be the color
    Simon Evans@sgevans

I asked Ferran Soriano about team colours etc - no decision made on that yet but will be other 'synergies' between two clubs

16. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Three weeks later.......
    [​IMG]

Great minds think alike! :)

raymondleone repped this.
  17. raymondleone

raymondleone Member

Aug 7, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Manchester City's Soriano envisions 'beautiful football' in NYC
    http://espnfc.com/blog/_/name/soccerusa/id/2424?cc=5901

18. Green and BLue

Green and BLue Member+

Seattle Sounders FC
    Nov 3, 2003
    Republic of Cascadia
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm hoping Houston, so the two Texas teams would be in the same conference again. I'm more concerned what this means for the 2014 schedule, assuming NYC FC starts in 2015. I really hope they drop the wildly unbalanced format they have now and use something that more closely resembles a balanced schedule.

19. raymondleone

raymondleone Member

Aug 7, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    SHEIKH MANSOUR & MAN CITY COMPLETE MLS CLUB DEAL
    http://www.sport360.com/football/sheikh-mansour-man-city-complete-mls-club-deal
    [​IMG]
    Sport 360° is a daily sports newspaper based in Abu Dhabi in the United Arab Emirates.

20. TerminusFooty

TerminusFooty Member+

Feb 4, 2012
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. sozopol

sozopol Member

Jul 22, 2011
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    That article makes some good points. But on the other side, now nycfc has leverage. They can tell the mets do you want x million dollars for allowing us to use the parking? Or should we walk and find a different site and you get nothing. They can say to the local soccer people, if you support what we want to do here, please show it. Otherwise you might lose the opportunity.

If it is no longer being rammed down their throats, but rather presented as an opportunity that they can take our leave, things could change.

But at this early stage it has always been mostly about the mets opposition, and they may be just bitter enough to keep rejecting it.

22. Skippysasquirrel

May 11, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    same. but what are the chances of that?

23. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    The chances of Houston moving? Very high. Chances of a balanced schedule? Zero.

Especially as 38 games in a regular season is just too long for us. England can do it, but English teams are built with so much incredible depth it's ridiculous. Also, you may note, the English season is longer than ours, I believe. Just in terms of days and weeks. With the playoffs and all that, we'd end up starting in February and ending in January...

24. aetraxx7

aetraxx7 Member+

Jun 25, 2005
    Des Moines, IA
    Club:
    Des Moines Menace
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bingo.
    I think the closest thing we'll get to balanced will be everybody in your division twice (home and away) and everybody in the other division once per season. But that only makes 28 games, so I'm sure they will figure out something to make the schedule more "full" until the league grows again.

25. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Which is something we'll get to as expansion continues. I'm undecided on my own opinions regarding expanding past 24 teams...

Ha, random tangent, but I was thinking about what league expansion would do to the USL, where the reserve teams are playing. I understand the league was wanting to shift away from the affiliate model into the straight "play your second team here" model, which is cool. But if MLS gets really big, wouldn't that mean the most terrifyingly bloated lower division ever? Hm.

My actual reasoning was I was just wondering at what point NYC will have to fulfill these in-place mandates for academies and reserve teams.