a new one from grant wahl...

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by fidlerre, Sep 19, 2002.

1. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/inside_game/grant_wahl/news/2002/09/19/wahl_mailbag/

my favorite part of the article...

4. My favorite quaint World Cup moment: Standing in the hotel elevator with Tony Sanneh's mother (wearing her SANNEH jersey) and a Portuguese fan wearing a FIGO jersey. "My son was marking your son in the last game," Mrs. Sanneh proudly told the bewildered Portuguese guy, not realizing that in other countries people besides family members actually wear soccer players' jerseys.

2. type_32

type_32 New Member

Apr 23, 2002
    As a rule I hate the acronym "LOL", but .... LOL!

3. Northside Rovers

Jan 28, 2000
    Austin TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is funny stuff.

Great Idea:

"Schedule a home-and-home with England. It's about time....Not only would it would provide great buzz for soccer in the States ... we could even inaugurate some sort of trophy for the winner. Call it the 1776 Cup."

Makes too much damn sense.

"And while we're at it, let's revive the 1950 U.S. shirts with the red slash down the front as a third kit. How cool would that be?"

Come on Nike. Show some frigging imagination.

Great column.

4. zcgf02

zcgf02 New Member

Mar 30, 2001
    Houston
    Man, I would love to watch the US games (except maybe the US/Poland match) with the British commentators. Where did Wahl get those tapes?

5. Tejas

Tejas Member+

Jun 3, 2000
    Tejas
    If he was indeed drinking pints while watching those back to back I can understand why we haven't seen a column from him in awhile.

Yes, bring on the Brits! They would probably not admit to it but those new FIFA rankings have to rile them up a wee bit. :)

6. pething101

pething101 Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Smyrna, Ga
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lets hope so. Need some consistent stuff from Grant.

7. Glenwood Lane United

Apr 28, 2001
    Hanover Park, IL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know there was an England/US friendly in 1994...I'm thinking it was either September or October. I wonder if that is no longer being considered in the ranking's formula.

As usual, great read from Grant.

8. Aalborg

Aalborg New Member

May 2, 2002
    US VS ENGLAND

I think we were (US) beaten 2-0 by a couple of Shearer goals at Wembley the last time we matched up with them. I thought is was more towards the 98 build-up, I could be wrong.

9. TeamUSA

TeamUSA Member

Nov 24, 1999
    Tianjin, China
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fighting Mexicans against Cobi Jones? Now that line was classic. Damn Brits, you gotta lov'em and hate'em.

Yep, bring the Limeys out west.

Good job Grant, keep it up.

10. eneste

eneste Member

Mar 24, 2000
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Great, great, great read.

I love the idea of a expanded "America's Cup" to replace the Gold Cup/Copa America but then how are we going to figure out who goes to the Confederation's Cup?!? ;)

11. Turk from Pigs Eye

Turk from Pigs Eye New Member

Jun 14, 2002
    Pigs Eye (St. Paul),
    I think the reason the Mex's were so rough on Cobi is that they were trying to provoke him since he lost his temper and got red-carded in a previous WC Qualifier.

12. lond2345

lond2345 Member

Aug 19, 2002
    USA
    "I think the reason the Mex's were so rough on Cobi is that they were trying to provoke him since he lost his temper and got red-carded in a previous WC Qualifier."

they were trying to end his carreer cant you see?

13. Damon_D.

Damon_D. New Member

Mar 28, 2002
    MD
    Great article, sucks that we have to wait 2 weeks for another edition.

He's like the Sports Guy with good tastes in sports.

Grant is actually how I found BS, when he wrote about looking for a US viewing party through BS.

14. Turk from Pigs Eye

Turk from Pigs Eye New Member

Jun 14, 2002
    Pigs Eye (St. Paul),
    I wonder how our friend Graham Jones at the LA Times took the news of USA being ranked higher than the Brits?

15. Playable Back

Playable Back New Member

Apr 26, 2002
    GJ is a loser. I hope he took it hard.

16. Unorthodox Yank

Feb 27, 2001
    Constant Flux
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    he's a graduate of my high school.

this article makes me proud to say that.

17. maverick

maverick New Member

Mar 7, 1999
    San Diego, CA
    Awesome article.

How about a biannual "English" Cup?

You know, New Zealand, Australia, South Africa, Canada, the United States, Ireland, Northern Ireland, Wales, Scotland and England. Two groups of five, round robin, four advance to the knockout rounds, winner gets bragging rights -- knowing that all the other countries can read all about it without the aid of translators!

U.S.A., Ireland, South Africa, New Zealand, Wales.

England, Australia, Canada, Scotland, Northern Ireland.

Dude, that's so good, it's sick. Frankly, that's a tournament I'd pay to watch every two years. How about it, at least once!?!

18. soccertom

soccertom New Member

Jun 2, 1999
    What is El Bruce smoking! :mad:

How can he not sing the praises of Twellman at the top of his lungs?? Then he slaps Twellman in the face with the comment that he doesn't know how Taylor's play will translate into the international game! Twellman is literally tearing up the league and is by far the most Dominant American player in MLS this season and Arena totally pooh poohs what in my opinion is an incredible effort. I really believe Arena is an ignorant SOB and how in the heck he says what he says is beyond my comprehension. Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Twellman earn the Silver Boot Award in the most recent Youth National Worlds under 20 Tourney he participated in? Then he slaps Twellman again with the nod toward Ruiz. Ruiz has had an awesome year in my opinion but his play although great is well behind Twellman's simply due to Twellmans Revolution supporting cast is far less talented than the Galaxy's. In addition Twellman's heroics are being performed under tremendous pressure in do or die situations for weeks now and Arena fails to acknowledge the brilliance of the kids play besides Twellman is an American and Ruiz is a foreigner and Arena should be doing everything he can to build up the confidence and swagger of the players in the National team pool at his disposal.

Please Bruce do NOT mess up Twellman as you have messed with so many other players! Arena is the biggest ego maniac I have ever observed!

1. Bruce Arena Unplugged! Spoke on the phone Tuesday to Il Bruce, who had a few takes on the MLS season. For starters, when Taylor Twellman was at Maryland, Arena never thought he would have the impact he's having on MLS this season. "Definitely not," Arena says. "How that translates to whether he can play international soccer remains to be seen. But give him credit: He's the second-most valuable player in the league." Arena's MVP? "[Carlos] Ruiz. Los Angeles isn't the most dangerous attacking team, but this guy is getting all the goals." On MLS's decision to allow green-card holders not to count as international players: "The green-card ruling is not in the best interests of the national team. Look at Dallas. How many of those guys are Americans? But that's life."

19. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe he paid attention to what happened to Clint when he was sanctified.

Damn that Bruce for not being clairvoyant!!
    No he's not.
    We'll never succeed in the World Cup with Arena leading us. Fire Bruce NOW!!!

20. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Mr. Jones knows that "the Brits" aren't in the rankings.

This also isn't the first time the USA is ranked ahead of England. The USA was ahead of England after Copa America 1995 and also as recently as February 2001, the USA was 16th and England 17th.

21. flanoverseas

flanoverseas New Member

Mar 2, 2002
    Xandria
    2251 posts (and counting) and you still don't know how to use the return key.

22. maverick

maverick New Member

Mar 7, 1999
    San Diego, CA
    Two words: Jason Kreis. :rolleyes:

Some players just can't take it to the next level. Some, like Hejduk and possibly McBride, really hit their peak, much more so for country than for club. "C'est la vie."

23. Playable Back

Playable Back New Member

Apr 26, 2002
    And only an ignorant SOB would believe that.

24. Playable Back

Playable Back New Member

Apr 26, 2002
    Two more words: Roy Lassiter

25. SoFla Metro

SoFla Metro Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    The Scots and Welsh would never be a part of something named after the English.