Rubio Rubin at Dorados de Sinaloa

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by autobus39, Jul 1, 2013.

1. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    In what appears to be a bit of wishful thinking, ESPN has RR going 90 as part of a 12 man Silkeborg line-up in a 3-1 loss (though mads madsen did not get of the bench and was kind of pissed.) In reality, it appears he did not make the bench, but everything else in the ESPN report is true...
    http://www.espnfc.us/lineups?gameId=449898

Winoman repped this.
  2. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. VBCity72

VBCity72 Member+

Aug 17, 2014
    Sunny San Diego
    Club:
    Plymouth Argyle FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Disappearing Act: Rubin @ Silkeborg?

4. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder if Rubin is the same player after the ankle surgery. Or is it all just confidence?

5. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pl@ymaker and Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  6. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tom Collingsworth, Pl@ymaker and Winoman repped this.
  7. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Prophetic too. I should change my name to Nostradoomus.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  8. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    You predict all our players are going to fail. You should be very proud of yourself. The gloating when they struggle is also a very good look. Keep it up!

The Irish Rover and Eighteen Alpha repped this.
  9. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Heck no. I expected Green to do well, same for Wooten. I was wrong about the former, and it's still undecided about the latter.

Actually, the list of "misses" for me is far too long. Guys I predicted to do well who did badly include Yelldell, Gatt, Whitbread, Gyau, Parkhurst, and Lichaj, among others.

Others I did expect to do poorly, like Picault, Shea, Aronjo & Zelalem. I just never saw it with them, and I was right.

I expected a lot from Rubin, heck three years ago I thought he could be a Donovan-like playmaker/scorer in the making. It's only after two years of watching him panic in front of goal that I realized kid was going nowhere fast.

bsky22 repped this.
  10. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    Gyau and GATT were an injury and a little early on Zelalem. I never thought Of Rubin like that... lacks the pace. I still he can have a decent career. You (along with many others) were way of with Wood.

11. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Wood is pure desire, but to be brutally honest, I don't think the technique is there.

That's also a reason why I think sticking to HSV is good for him. In a bigger club, his technical limitations would get him benched quick.

For Pulisic, for example, the sky is the limit. Also, I feel invested in Perry Kitchen, a guy who has his moments but is not doing as well as expected.

I think we all have guys we "like" and guys we don't, based on how they play. Rubin is a case for me where I like what I see, but the mentality is just not there. It's frustrating.

12. Midas Mulligan

Midas Mulligan Member+

Jul 24, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Curious what technique you don't see. Could you be more specific? Not necessarily disagreeing, but I don't see massive gaps at all so I'm wondering what you've identified as being deficient technique.

13. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
  14. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Finishing. Yes, he nets some nice ones, but he misses just as many. Also, his dribbling is fine but not superior. And we're talking here about he belonging in the elite or near-elite, teams like BVB or Liverpool. To be the regular starter in those teams you need top ball control, top dribbling ability, and top finishing. Bobby is a battler but he's not up there with the best.

15. Midas Mulligan

Midas Mulligan Member+

Jul 24, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Possibly or even probably correct. But I don't know that I've ever seen him in a team with enough other threats around him to make a solid call.

I don't think he's on the same level as Firmino, for example. But when Firmino doesn't have any other creative players on to reduce attention, he can look a bit lacking, too. So while I agree that Bobby hasn't necessarily proven to have what you mention, I'm granting him an incomplete for now.

16. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Winoman and Rahbiefowlah repped this.
  17. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    I thought he was saying he just "scored".

Rahbiefowlah repped this.
  18. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    I humbly accept my purgatory in Salt Lake.

bungadiri repped this.
  19. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rubio was a standout on our very good u20 team and had a good first season in Holland.

I wonder what is happening to him right now. I have speculated that he still isn't the same from his injury but who knows.

Silkeborg probably aren't going to offer him a contract at the end of the season based on his performances.

20. chrome_vapors

chrome_vapors Member+

Oct 15, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I suspect that Rubin reached physically maturity earlier than his peers at the youth level.

As his stature in the physical dimension has evened out in the past two years, things have stalled.

His greatest strengths as a player always seemed to be psychological. At the professional level across the technical, tactical and physical domains, he's below average to average.

I get that he produced an assist here, a goal ther, as an 18yo in the Eredivisie, but sample size and qualitative analysis are important. I'd be more interested in understanding his actual play and relative ability. Unfortunately I didn't get to see him play much in that league so I can't speak on it.

21. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    dwsmith1972 repped this.
  22. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Rubio was on track at Utrecht and I think probably got sidelined by a triple (or quadruple, probably) whammy.

1) his first season (I think it was his first. Maybe second. I'm too lazy to check) He got a decent amount of game due to other injuries. But Utrecht was not the team it is this season. They are good.

2) Coaching change. Formation change. RR is a bit more a tweener and ten Haag's 4-4-2 was better built for Haller and Ziv.

3) Haller. He performed better than many people expected and just was irreplaceable. RR did not seem to play as well with Haller as Utrecht might have hoped. And Haller was supposed to leave a couple of times, which would have given RR more chances. Add Ziv for speed made more sense.

4) RR was sometimes/often starting over Bazarite (to be fair, Nacer was hurt a bit) but when the coach changed and Nacer got healthy to start this season, RR could not unseat him from the 10. RR is a bit of a tweener.

5) RR just didn't score when he had the opportunities. Why that is, I don't know. Fans commented that he was their best #10 at the end of last season, I think it was, but with his goal drought the past 12 months or so, it just seemed like he was not going get back in 10H's plans.

6) RR seemed to be a bit less effective player after his injury too. And with Utrecht getting better and him not getting back to his peak, the overall team ambition/ability seemed to outstrip him.

It seems like a number of things conspired to knock him off his game. But for sure there were patches at Utrecht when he looked 100% like he belonged and could develop along a Bradley/Jozy/Arjo path where he would leave the Ered by stepping up, not sideways or down.

I still have seen enough of him to know that when he is on, he is very good. But I also had kept an eye on his fall at Utrecht and he was not taking advantage of the few opportunities he had, for whatever reason.

23. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Looking back the 14/15 season (which is when ten Hag came) RR had 3 goals 5 assists in 21 starts (with 7 sub apps for 28/34 appearances). This was the season he looked like he was going to establish himself, to me. While Alflen benched him a few games at the end, but ten Hag started him all 3 games after he took over.
    He started 15/16 as a late game sub (came in at 60 or later 5 of the first 8, started and went 90 in another and benched for 2) Then he broke his foot in early Oct, was out until March and never really managed to sneak back in the 1st team (one appearance before the end of the year.) He was fairly decent over the summer/preseason, and when August came he got 3 straight starts, but didn't cement his place, got kicked to the bench and never was able to make a good enough case to get back in.

Hard not to look at the broken bone as the turning point - and no reason to think he can't get his mojo back. For much of the 14/15 season he looked like he 100% belonged on a midtable Ered team... Can he get beyond that? I don't know, tbh. Interested to see how Silke turns out.

Winoman and chrome_vapors repped this.
  24. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  25. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tom Collingsworth and Winoman repped this.