(No More ) New Fekir's in a New Town: Summer Transfers II

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by EruditeHobo, Jul 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Klopp said that the club has been doing it’s business with the assumption that we won’t have Ox this season.

Perhaps we would have never pursued Fekir if Ox was fit, but now it’s seems like a priority to get a player in that position.

This could also put to rest talk of Wijnaldum leaving the club.

2. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ------------------- Bobby -----------------------
    ------------------------------ Salah -------------
    --- Mane ----------------------------------------
    --------- Keita ----------------------------------
    ------------------------ Fabinho --- TAA ---
    Robbo --------- Hendo --------------------
    --------- Lovren --------- VVD -------------
    ------------------- Alisson -------------------

^-- I think this is likely even better, and more relevant considering Ox's situation.

bayern is god repped this.
  3. poopoobigelow

poopoobigelow Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 3, 2007
    VA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Egypt
    agree that hendo will still likely start, at least for the first half of the season, even if we sign fekir. I think Hendo and Keita will start most of the time, with fekir/lallana in home games/bottom teams. Fab will come in on the road/top 6 games.

Milner and gini will rotate in a few games for rest/injury.

4. speker

speker Member+

May 16, 2009
    Canada
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
  5. dcc134

dcc134 Member+

Liverpool FC
    May 15, 2000
    Hummelstown, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He'll be starting there as he won't be back in training until August 5th. First game is the 10th.

Our staring midfield for the first few games is going to Fabinho/Kieta and either Milner/Gini. If Fabinho settles quickly, hard to see Hendo getting straight back in. We won't have a midweek until after the international break in September.

imasyko and Suss repped this.
  6. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Agreed, but you forgot Lallana as an option to start the first game.

7. dcc134

dcc134 Member+

Liverpool FC
    May 15, 2000
    Hummelstown, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I suspect it has more to do with not hearing noise around Lallana's future.

8. dcc134

dcc134 Member+

Liverpool FC
    May 15, 2000
    Hummelstown, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, he is an option, but more than likely he'll be injured. ;)

9. dcc134

dcc134 Member+

Liverpool FC
    May 15, 2000
    Hummelstown, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I assume Klopp will want everyone to get 3 weeks training in before starting a game, which means:

Salah/Mane join up for the trip to US this weekend, which gives them 3 weeks to the first game,

Firmino/Shaqiri/Alisson join up for the France camp after the US trip, which gives 3 weeks to the second game. I would assume Klopp would throw Alisson in for the opener after 2 weeks and Firmino/Shaqiri would make the bench.

Hendo/Trent/Lovren/Fekir join up August 5, so earliest they'd be ready to start would be third game. Probably be available for the bench in the second.

Lineup for the opener likely to be

Alisson
    Gomez Matip VVD Robbo
    Fabinho Keita Gini
    Salah Sturridge Mane

Bench

GK Clyne Milner Lallana Solanke Firmino Shaqiri Moreno Klavan

EruditeHobo and imasyko repped this.
  10. LorneMarvello

LorneMarvello Member+

Jul 1, 2014
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    So another boring liverpool breaks a world record for a player type day eh chaps

EruditeHobo and dcc134 repped this.
  11. oikos

oikos Member+

Feb 3, 2010
    Glastonbury, CT
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder if Klopp at times would move Firmino back to attacking mid. He's got all the attributes to play that position. The question then would be who do we put in Firmino's positon. Sturridge.

12. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is a good point, forgot about the reality of Hendo having played all year up until last Saturday.

Still think the team will be better with him in the side. He will only be made better by sitting behind the likes of Fabinho and Keita.

Definitely agreed with the bold... but Hendo wouldn't necessarily be coming in for Fabinho. Stability of Hendo at 6 allows for the dynamism of Fabinho to shine, in that Gini/Milner role as much as or maybe more than in the 6 role, IMO. Eventually, yes, Fabinho will replace Hendo.

I think it's worth mentioning you're further down on Hendo than a lot of people... but not without reason. That said he's had a pretty fantastic year for both club and country, and is still the captain. I'd be surprised if he was phased out imminently, certainly not due to missing training due to playing in the WC semifinal. Maybe in a year, or two... or maybe injuries will make up the decision for LFC/Klopp.

Either way I'm very interested to see how Klopp uses this really great, deep midfield.

13. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ... isn't this why he can't move Firmino back?

He's doing so so well with the dirty work and creating for Mane and Salah, can't see a really good reason to move him; the only really good reason would be signing a great striker.

14. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    The brillance of Firmino is that he fills the role of the attacking midfielder and center forward at the same time. I keep saying this, but I think our other center forward option is Salah.

We can play a really interesting 4-4-2 with versatile and interchangeable players:
    Strikers: Salah and Firmino
    RM: Mane
    CM: Keita and Fabinho
    LM: Shaquiri (maybe Fekir)

Allison
    TAA Lovren VVD Robertson
    Fekir Fabinho Keita Mane
    Salah Firmino
    You can easily adjust that same lineup to a 4-3-3 with Fekir as CM and Salah on the right. Either way that would an incredibly exciting team.

delaynomo and EruditeHobo repped this.
  15. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I do like the idea of Salah with double backup on the wing over there, both Shaqiri and TAA... then maybe Naby drifts over. Damn. Tasty.

This could be a pretty epic season. Need Naby and Fabinho to settle quickly.

16. Bobinhood

Bobinhood Member

Apr 22, 2005
    Toronto
    Alisson. Sweet!

A top class goalie never hurt. 6 years they are saying. Nice.

17. Donfather

Donfather Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool LFC
    Rumour going around is that Alisson signing will conclude the transfer business for this window.....no other fekir will be signed

Suss repped this.
  18. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    That’s what the journalists close to the club are saying. The same journalists that told us Danny Ward would be our #1 goalkeeper a week before we signed the most expensive keeper in history.

It could be the club using the media for leverage in negotiations with Lyon, or it could mean we are not signing any more players. We will see.

19. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Danny Ward off to Leceister. 10-12 million.

Does this mean Karius is our backup?

20. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
  21. dcc134

dcc134 Member+

Liverpool FC
    May 15, 2000
    Hummelstown, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Most likely, which I guess I'm fine with.

Distinct lack of noise around Mignolet a bit worrying though. Be a laugh if we get more for Ward than him.

22. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    If we could get a good price for Mingolet, close to half of the Allison fee would be covered by outgoing goalkeepers.

The other position that we will see sales and loans is striker. I would keep Sturridge and Solanke and sell Ings and Origi. Brewster is expected to be back around Christmas. At that point we could send Solanke on loan in January if he is not playing.

Decisions need to be made about Woodburn, Kent, and Ojo as well.

23. Donfather

Donfather Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool LFC

Going all binary there pal :)

Anyway Liverpool have broken the record paid for a keeper (Edensor was around 35 mill) but Gigi Buffon cost around 32 mill in 2001. If you factor in inflation, introduction of Euro, the price of a loaf of bread and the age of the old Lady) that would equate to 300 million in the current market

24. dcc134

dcc134 Member+

Liverpool FC
    May 15, 2000
    Hummelstown, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fabinho has played RB and as a DM. More likely Hendo moves further forward.

I agree Hendo has grown into the captaincy and is doing a good job as captain. However, I also think that if he is who your building your midfield around, your ceiling as a team is going to be around 4th place. He's technically limited (ever see him play a ball with his left or turn that direction) and a player in our 11 who can be improved upon. Fabinho looks like an upgrade on him. Time will tell, but one is a league winner and one has made a career of coming just a bit short.

Hendo is going to continue to be a key member of the squad and get his games. I don't think he's likely to be in the line up when our best 11 is required.

25. Donfather

Donfather Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool LFC
    Is VVD the natural successor to the captaincy? I dunno if any other players fit the bill quite like VVD

Obviously it has to be a definite first team player

EruditeHobo repped this.