** A New Era - Rebuilding the Azzurri

Discussion in 'Italy: National Teams' started by Stamos, Nov 13, 2017.

1. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #1226 falvo, Oct 13, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2019
    The monarchy and royals throughout Italy though, by law all retained their wealth and titles by the Italian government. They still have quite a bit of riches in the country which isn't all that different than most other remaining monarchs in Europe or anywhere else , for that matter. Queen Elizabeth for example is there in name only more or less and still retains the crown jewels. Every time Prince Charles is mentioned all everyone remembers is Lady Diana and Camilla Parker Bowles. I doubt he will ever be much of a King now that he is 71 years of age. If the Queen lasts as long as her mother did, she will live another 10 years and by then , Charles will be over 80. He definitely won't last that long...

2. Il Ciuccio

Il Ciuccio Member+

Feb 17, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  3. bachir

bachir Member

Jul 21, 2007
    Wow, not a lot of pics of the navy shirts on the internet. Would be a cool (rare) jersey to have in the collection.

4. Rosay

Rosay Member+

May 7, 2014
    Club:
    AC Milan
    it is rare. they only wore them for one game ever

5. Pietro Calcio

Pietro Calcio Member+

Jul 28, 2007
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Match day photo against Brazil or Germany 1982 ?

calabrese8 repped this.
  6. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Pietro Calcio repped this.
  7. Midfield General

Jun 14, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was the Brazil match. Gentile shaved his moustache for the final vs Germany. Still has it in that photo.

Pietro Calcio and calabrese8 repped this.
  8. phat

phat Viking

Feb 13, 2006
    Montreal
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    The day Paolo Rossi made them cry with a hat trick.

9. Pietro Calcio

Pietro Calcio Member+

Jul 28, 2007
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Never underestimate....never

It seems like we do best when we're not expected to do so , or we are in a state of chaos. or both

Maybe with all this mundane and generic football there will be another Renaissance soon to come... not just for Italy ...but football in general...I hope

calabrese8 repped this.
  10. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Definitely not West Germany as Antognoni was injured for the final. Bergomi started in his place. Not the semifinal against Poland as Gentile sat that one out. Oriali is in this, so it likely was against Brazil. This was also the same starting group that played Argentina.

[​IMG]

11. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    We can only hope.

12. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    The game in general may have been a little slower than is is today but for me anyway, Italy Brazil was was one of the best games I've ever seen.

13. Il Ciuccio

Il Ciuccio Member+

Feb 17, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    cotton shirts in a hot summers day.... man that must of been rough...

14. Rosay

Rosay Member+

May 7, 2014
    Club:
    AC Milan
    lol youre such a beta

Pietro Calcio and Deleted User x repped this.
  15. Il Ciuccio

Il Ciuccio Member+

Feb 17, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    My comment was more geared to have sports wear has evolved....

16. turco3

turco3 Member

Jul 23, 2006
    The 2000 and 2002 kappa jerseys were the nicest of any national team or club.

Il Ciuccio and Rosay repped this.
  17. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Evolved in some ways but not in fashion design. The simplicity of the 1970 jersey stands out.

[​IMG]

Argentina WC 1978

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Capello circa early 70's

[​IMG]

phat and Pietro Calcio repped this.
  18. Pietro Calcio

Pietro Calcio Member+

Jul 28, 2007
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Look at Giacinto Facchetti . Goliath. Looks like he was carved out of stone. And Capello lol....that perpetual pissed off face .

Those shirts were the best . I have some modern replicas. I like the 1970 .

phat and Falc repped this.
  19. Pietro Calcio

Pietro Calcio Member+

Jul 28, 2007
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Smh...

Cotton breathes probably the best out of any natural material. Would you rather wool ? The only other natural material up there with cotton would be linen . Cotton is like the best material for hot humid weather.....cooch

Rosay and Falc repped this.
  20. NickyViola

NickyViola Member+

May 10, 2004
    Boston
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    In hot dry weather, like here in central arizona, I prefer linen then 100% cotton. Not in humid weather, though.

Cotton kills, as they say.

21. Pietro Calcio

Pietro Calcio Member+

Jul 28, 2007
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Yup true cotton can be less than ideal depending on the circumstances , because it retains moisture and is very spongy. So in cold or cool weather , if it gets wet , then hypothermia is a threat.

But in hot humid weather hypothermia is no worry and neither really is hyperthermia should the cotton retain sweat / moisture. In hot humid weather the only thing you need to worry about is dressing too heavy and not allowing the skin to breathe . Thats what it all comes down to really when hot and humid . Less fabric and fabric had to breathe. Cotton next to linen probably breathes the best and is best for these situations. Many synthetic blends trap moisture so should you choose a synthetic it has to be designed for hot weather and sweating so it evaporates quickly and doesn't trap heat. Polyester flat out sucks . Heat is trapped and the skin cant breathe and all the sweat trapped under clothing rolling down your back and front. Disgusting.

Also where you are in Ariziona I would imagine it's so dry and warm that sweat evaporates rather quickly. Summers in NY or the Northeast / East coast suck . You lived in Boston so you know the deal. It's so fvcking hot and humid . Heat doesnt bother me....its the heat with high humidity the does.

Yeah , linen is pretty comfortable. Its just not as ready available as cotton is though.

NickyViola repped this.
  22. NickyViola

NickyViola Member+

May 10, 2004
    Boston
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    I'm in Phoenix

23. 'Uaglio

'Uaglio Member+

Jun 8, 2004
    NYC
    I'm starting to get a bit concerned with Bernardeschi. He's a highly skilled player, but all the muscle he has put on has really seemed to slow him down. I generally support players that incorporate more weight training in their routine, but I'm worried he may have overdone it.

On a bright note, Castrovilli is playing really well. Zaniolo is also elevating his game even more this year. We have so many damn midfielders now. I wish we had just a few more strikers to choose from. Ciro may be having a career year, but you know come tournament time, he won't show up.

calabrese8 and turco3 repped this.
  24. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    No one will mistake Bernadeschi as Conan the Barbarian. His problem, which is really not one, is that Sarri has him in a trequartista role where he needs to focus on defense as neither Ronaldo or Dybala contribute in that area. A role in midfield would suit him well. He does need to be a bit quicker with his decision making.

25. 'Uaglio

'Uaglio Member+

Jun 8, 2004
    NYC
    I've always found Bernardeschi to be best on the wing or as a seconda punta. I don't know why Sarri is so stubborn playing him as trequartista. That is a difficult role. Few players can play that well. For Bernardeschi, I don't think the tracking back on D is hard. I think the quick decision making is his struggle now.