** A New Era - Rebuilding the Azzurri

Discussion in 'Italy: National Teams' started by Stamos, Nov 13, 2017.

1. Ciro Di Marzio

Ciro Di Marzio Member+

SSC Napoli
    Canada
    Jun 28, 2019
    Scampia
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Euro 2020 team?

Donarumma
    Florenzi - Bonucci - Romagnoli - Emerson
    Verratti - Jorginho
    Chiesa - Bernardeschi - Insigne
    Belotti

Honestly a lot of options of players who are around the same level but atm I think this is how I'd go into the Euros as my starters. I hope more players step up for the striker spot and the advanced 3 roles

2. Deleted User x

Deleted User x Member+

Mar 21, 2006
    Verratti and Jorginho alone in midfield is not a good idea.

Nek Sanalet, gumbacicc and calabrese8 repped this.
  3. Ciro Di Marzio

Ciro Di Marzio Member+

SSC Napoli
    Canada
    Jun 28, 2019
    Scampia
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    You're prob right, he's also been playing a strict 4-3-3 so maybe

Donarumma
    Florenzi - Bonucci - Romagnoli - Emerson
    Verratti - Jorginho - Barella
    Chiesa - Belotti - Bernardeschi/Insigne

Basically whoever has a better season between Bernardeschi and Insigne will prob get that left wing role because I feel Chiesa is our best right winger

4. Calcio Pauly

Calcio Pauly Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    @indestructible mentioned a 3-5-2. That's relevant
    If healthy could easily look like this

Romagnol - Bonucci - Chielini
    Florenzi-Jorg-Verratti-Barella-Chiesa
    Belotti-Insigne

Subs can alter formation easily enough, but enough industry in the middle to plug holes against midfields that can work the ball, like Spain. In fact 352 is literally their cryptonite. You have targets and creative players up front, and speed on the wings, with enough muscle and experience on D. Id like to see it against a tougher opponent.

Ok enough formations from me, I've met my 2019 quota. Where's that guy who can post 10-15 in one go?

5. Rosay

Rosay Member+

May 7, 2014
    Club:
    AC Milan
    ya where is IAF?

6. Calcio Pauly

Calcio Pauly Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Didn't he morph into a new gig? Maybe he's with his fellow Croatians in the Croat forum these days?

Ciro Di Marzio and indestructible repped this.
  7. Gilbertsson

Gilbertsson Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Apr 1, 2012
    Geneva
    Club:
    Toronto Croatia
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    I like 3-5-2 or 4-2-3-1 formations. Other formations, I choose not to like.:)

8. Rosay

Rosay Member+

May 7, 2014
    Club:
    AC Milan
    my favourite formation of all time is the 442 with the diamond midfield. absolutely love it. comes with a regista and trequartista and either 2 winger or 2 capable mids doing the dirty work

Calcio Pauly repped this.
  9. Calcio Pauly

Calcio Pauly Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Yep. We had the right personnel then. Not now.

Deleted User x repped this.
  10. TheAnswer1313

TheAnswer1313 Member+

Dec 12, 2007
    Charleston, WV
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I still think 4-2-4 is the way to go

11. Gilbertsson

Gilbertsson Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Apr 1, 2012
    Geneva
    Club:
    Toronto Croatia
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    #1161 Gilbertsson, Sep 9, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2019
    Diamond midfield is possible if you have Pirlo and Totti together. With less creative players it's better to boost up central part with 5 players, easier to overtake entire domination, especially against creative teams In 4-3-3, RB and LB lose a lot of energy, because they repeat the same direction constantly. Also, two attackers must return in central part to assist their central players. With 3-5-2, we can use three slower and taller defenders, in central part, we can use 2 or 3 destructive players who are very mobile. In creative formation, it's nice to use only one destructive player. The two attackers should be classic attackers, numbers 9 and 11, one should be tall, strong and technical, other shorter, faster and technical. Not false 9, like we see it today.

Against Netherlands, it's better to use 3-5-2, against France 4-2-3-1, against England 3-5-2, against Spain 4-2-3-1, against Belgium 3-5-2.

In some matches, Cristiano Zanetti and Damiano Tommasi played together CM positions, Zambrotta was RM, Cristiano Doni LM, Vieri and Totti were the attackers. Nice idea against creative teams.

3-4-1-2 was also popular in Italian NT.

12. gumbacicc

gumbacicc Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    USA
    Agreed...only years from now will the true brilliance of Ventura come to be recognized.

Deleted User x repped this.
  13. Deleted User x

Deleted User x Member+

Mar 21, 2006
    He's still around. He goes by another name now and doesn't post formations anymore.

Some BPL fans in the UEFA forums are trying to get him banned.

14. Nek Sanalet

Nek Sanalet Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    Dec 30, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    AC Milan
    I might jump on the 3 5 2 bandwagon after conceding that guys like Spinazzola, Conti, and De Sciglio are always hurt, and everyone else is mediocre. As long as Chiesa starts somewhere, I could get behind this formation.

As great as Insigne generally is on the left for Napoli, I wonder if someone like Berna or even Berardi may be a better fit for that SS role. But regardless, as long as it's not Immobile in that spot....

15. Il Ciuccio

Il Ciuccio Member+

Feb 17, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    formation does not matter....

if you run a back 4 and the rwb and lwb are constantly pushing forward and neglecting their defensive duties then the dm needs to drop down and help the the two center back thus creating a back 3.

Its on the players and the coach to play in an intelligent way and knowing where to be on the field.

16. Calcio Pauly

Calcio Pauly Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    The gift that keeps on giving.

Chooch, this might be a good time to inform you that generally and specifically, roles are built into formations and sometimes strict ones, other times not so strict. This part of the formation is referred to as tactics.

Good work chooch. That's called formation and texted tactics! :thumbsup:

indestructible and Rosay repped this.
  17. Calcio Pauly

Calcio Pauly Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    For an 80th minute work horse running sub if the oppositions defenders have been worked over enough, maybe.

18. Calcio Pauly

Calcio Pauly Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    He had brilliant air hockey formations.

19. Gilbertsson

Gilbertsson Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Apr 1, 2012
    Geneva
    Club:
    Toronto Croatia
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Who is he? What did he do in the past?

20. Stamos

Stamos Member

Apr 6, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #1170 Stamos, Sep 14, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2019
    It's an interesting dilemma we are now facing as the Euro inches closer into view: how does this side lineup and make the most use of the talent at its disposable?

Do you run 3 in the back to make use of the talent and experience in central defense (Bonucci, Chiellini, Romagnoli, Caldara, Acerbi)?

What do you do in midfield and on the wings? We have the following who should all be fighting for a spot and realistically making the team next summer: Verratti, Jorginho, Barella, Tonali, Sensi, Pellegrini with a couple others dependent on a standout year to be added to that list.
    On the wing: Bernardeschi and Chiesa should both be starting. Either on the wings or even as support strikers, beside or right behind a #9. But how about Insigne? Zaniolo?

Speaking of a #9, is anyone even worthy? Does Belotti finally break free and realize his potential? Is Immobile thrown in based on club performance..again? Does Quags have another monster year at such an advanced age? Kean? Or does Mancini just pluck whoever is hot come June?

The obvious is this: we are strong on the wings and in central defense. We have talent upfront in a more supporting role. We have central mids who can create.

Does Mancini have the creativity and foresight though to put these pieces together come Euro?

My thoughts, you ask? (And if you didnt ask, then shame on you;): a 3-2-4-1 makes use of our talent. Could it be the best formation to make use of this talent? I think so. The best formation to win? Not sure...

But you deploy 3 in the back (the 5 CBs I brought up above), 2 CMs (Verratti, Barella, Jorginho and Tonalli), 4 just above them (Berna, Chiesa, Pellegrini, Sensi, Zaniolo, Insigne, Kean [or do you plug Kean into that lone striker spot?]) and the lone striker upfront (Belotti, Quags?) and throw in 2 utility-type players you can plug in anywhere (Florenzi, X).

Probably leaves us too weak defensively and giving up too much space in our half. And likely lacks physicality but just an idea.

21. indestructible

indestructible Member+

SSC Napoli
    Jan 14, 2007
    Mercato Professor
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Castrovilli of Fiorentina and Di Lorenzo of Napoli are two names that should really be on Mancini’s radar

calabrese8 and Rosay repped this.
  22. Rosay

Rosay Member+

May 7, 2014
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Castrovilli came out of nowhere. anyone seen him play?

johnny6 repped this.
  23. indestructible

indestructible Member+

SSC Napoli
    Jan 14, 2007
    Mercato Professor
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    He played in Serie B the last two years for Cremonese. He was a standout from what I’ve been told.

I watched him in his three games this year. He was also very good vs. Napoli. Box to box qualities. Very good dribbler

Rosay repped this.
  24. GIGI RIVA

GIGI RIVA Member

Fiorentina
    Canada
    Aug 24, 2009
    Guelph Ontario
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    next year maybe the youngest team Italy will put out in a major tourney at least in my lifetime and Im 51

Rosay repped this.
  25. indestructible

indestructible Member+

SSC Napoli
    Jan 14, 2007
    Mercato Professor
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    1172957324694228992 is not a valid tweet id