** A New Era - Rebuilding the Azzurri

Discussion in 'Italy: National Teams' started by Stamos, Nov 13, 2017.

1. krado33

krado33 Member+

May 23, 2014
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Ah let's not make out like Sarri is Zemen. He's done extremely well in Serie A and looked better against Madrid last year than Juventus. Would be my No1 pick but he isn't going to walk from Napoli.

2. Calcio Pauly

Calcio Pauly Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Sarri >>> Zeman

3. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    No Conte. He is part of the problem that showed up this past weekend.

krado33 repped this.
  4. SwitchKick55

SwitchKick55 Member

United States
    Jun 24, 2017
    Carrera?

Falc repped this.
  5. Daei_10

Daei_10 Member+

Aug 22, 2007
    LA, California
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ya in a way Euros messed up the perception

6. thinredline10

thinredline10 Member+

Juventus
    Apr 2, 2017
    more impressive perhaps is him locking horns and keeping pace with Man City this year who happen to probaly be one of the top 3 teams in Europe this year.

7. PaoloC

PaoloC New Member

Juventus
    Italy
    Nov 15, 2017
    Agreed, 100 percent.
    But I am assuming for the purpose of this thread that:

a) the Italian federation will pay whatever it takes to get a "savior" manager into the job;
    b) any Serie A club side would bless unreservedly their manager taking the Italia job for the sake of restoring national pride and;
    c) Sarri or any Italian-born Serie A coach would take the job for the aforementioned national-pride reasons.

But maybe this is flawed reasoning!? Others will know more re the inner workings of the Azzurri / Serie A divide!

PS: my cousin wrote a great book on Zeman -- shameless plug! - in Italian, called "Maledetto Zeman":

https://www.amazon.it/Maledetto-Zeman-Andrea-Corti/dp/8835991730

8. GIGI RIVA

GIGI RIVA Member

Fiorentina
    Canada
    Aug 24, 2009
    Guelph Ontario
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    No matter who is in Charge Of the National team I still think Italian Soccer needs to be Fixed up a bit I do not think it is doo and gloom but a some small repairs are needed Tavachio please retire asap

9. r0adrunner

r0adrunner Member+

Jun 4, 2011
    London, UK
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Exactly! All we need are some adjustments to stimulate the playing time of more young Italian players in Serie A so that Italian youngsters are given similar opportunities to their counterparts in the leagues which have proven to be better at developing young national players, principally France, Germany and Spain.

10. mikeyjames

mikeyjames Member

Jun 20, 2009
    #60 mikeyjames, Nov 18, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2017
    The biggest issue I see in our football is Carlo and the 2nd is always playing the blame game and using others as scapegoats when in reality the coaching in the youth system needs to get better. The whole blaming foreigners is a weak cop out when other country's with top league have just as much foreigners if not more and doing just fine... It's a cheap cop out for not wanting to look at the issues with Italian football and just saying ohhh it's all them, we let them play here and they screwed up our football. Fact is There's a lack of some people in Italian football wanting except that the quality in our programs are not as good as it use to be and that falls square on the shoulders of the coaches that's coaching in the youth system. The whole we can't be wrong, it not us so it has to be something else mentality is a big issue. First we need to flat out admit the quality in our youth programs dropped and then we can go about fixing it.

monere repped this.
  11. r0adrunner

r0adrunner Member+

Jun 4, 2011
    London, UK
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I don't agree with that because in the UEFA and FIFA youth competitions Italy is still competitive and even reached the final of the UEFA under19s in 2016 and won bronze at the FIFA under 20s this year, for example.

It is a lack of playing time between the ages of 18 and 21 in Serie A - not Serie B - and CL/EL that is what retards the development of players and means that they fall short of their potential.

Without adequate playing time at this age, even the most talented of players will ultimately be wasted.

Deleted User x, Rosay and calabrese8 repped this.
  12. thinredline10

thinredline10 Member+

Juventus
    Apr 2, 2017
    it does seem like teams in Serie A are more open to buying and giving foreign exports ample playing time rather then their own youth... but maybe its just isolated examples.

13. r0adrunner

r0adrunner Member+

Jun 4, 2011
    London, UK
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    No, it isn't.

You're right though, they are happy to buy young foreigners. The reason is because they are more ready for elite-level football than Italians of the same age, simply because they have been playing at a good level for longer than their Italian counterparts who do not break into the first team until they are older. Therefore it's no suprise clubs generally prefer foreign youngsters over Italian ones.

It's all about playing time.

However it seems that the new generation of Serie A coaches like Montella, Inzaghi and Di Francesco - and Sarri of course - are more open to playing young Italians, so we should hope this generational turnover of the coaches also helps to blood more Italian youngsters at a younger age.

Rosay repped this.
  14. NickyViola

NickyViola Member+

May 10, 2004
    Boston
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    Montella didn't play youngsters at my club. Sousa is the one who really brought along guys like Chiesa and Bernardeschi. The one thing he was good for.

GIGI RIVA repped this.
  15. GIGI RIVA

GIGI RIVA Member

Fiorentina
    Canada
    Aug 24, 2009
    Guelph Ontario
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    As much as I hate A.C. Milan I will give credit were credit is due they have played a lot Of Italians on there first team

Rosay repped this.
  16. GIGI RIVA

GIGI RIVA Member

Fiorentina
    Canada
    Aug 24, 2009
    Guelph Ontario
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I remember last year when Roma played Lyon in Europa League Were Roma lost Lyon had 8 born French players on the field compared to Roma having only 2 Italian Born players

17. Calcio Pauly

Calcio Pauly Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    This might have been the only half good Tavecchio has done:

http://www.football-italia.net/85171/serie-italian-reform
    Starting from next season Serie A will require squads to include four youth team players and four players with Italian experience.

The reform introduced by the Italian federation is modelled after a UEFA regulation that defines which players are eligible for European cups.

The reform had already been introduced last year, but the previous season was considered to be transitional, and its rules did not apply. The Gazzetta dello Sport reports that the norm will come into full effect for the 2016/17 campaign, when all Serie A teams must present squad lists inclusive of eight players with a background in Italy.

Specifically, every team must include four players who spent at least three years, between the ages of 16 and 21, with the club's youth team, and another four players who must have spent three years with any Italian club before reaching the age of 21. Both these categories may include foreigners, though in practice the vast majority of these players are likely to be Italian.

This was written in April 2016, so it's been in play a season and a half. It'll take time to see the fruits of this.

krado33 repped this.
  18. Deleted User x

Deleted User x Member+

Mar 21, 2006
    Croatia, Serbia, Poland and Argentina should all send a bouquet of flowers to the FIGC.

Rosay repped this.
  19. Calcio Pauly

Calcio Pauly Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Brazil could be doing so as well.

Rosay and Deleted User x repped this.
  20. Calcio Pauly

Calcio Pauly Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Carlo Tavecchio has confirmed his resignation from the FIGC. “I apologise to all Italians.”

Tavecchio announced his decision to step down at an FIGC meeting on Monday, and the 74-year-old admitted he ‘failed’ his country after a three-year spell that ended with the Azzurri failing to qualify for the World Cup.

“I’m sorry,” he told his fellow councillors.

“I’m leaving because I failed. I apologise to all Italians. Now’s the time for Italian football to embark on a new era and not just the usual round of armchairs.

“Political ambitions and profiteering prevented us from confronting the reasons for this outcome, and I’ve taken note of the change in attitude from some of you.”

[​IMG]

phat, calabrese8, Rosay and 1 other person repped this.
  21. johnny6

johnny6 Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    Jun 29, 2011
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Great start to my Monday :thumbsup: Who else is in the FIGC that needs to hit the road?

phat, Calcio Pauly and romanista8910 repped this.
  22. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Its early on the west coast and I was 1/2 asleep but they are saying the league heads of Serie B & C along with Renzo Ulivieri (head of coaches) are actively looking for the FIGC head.

Again, it was early and I may have missed it but I heard no mention of anyone from the Serie A but I'm thinking Maldini may be involved as I think he and Nesta are done with their Miami NASL team....

Rosay repped this.
  23. indestructible

indestructible Member+

SSC Napoli
    Jan 14, 2007
    Mercato Professor
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Yes let's replace one 70 year old dinosaur for another. Ulivieri needs to go away

24. Rosay

Rosay Member+

May 7, 2014
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Maldini and Nesta would be perfect