** A New Era - Rebuilding the Azzurri

Discussion in 'Italy: National Teams' started by Stamos, Nov 13, 2017.

1. Calcio Pauly

Calcio Pauly Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Unfortunately true. I think he wants Arsenal. Hopefully they stay stupid and keep Wenger and we beg him enough and find a sponsor to supplement his income so da monies convinces him! A revolution is necessary and modeling the German one with our own style would be an excellent start.

Pietro Calcio and indestructible repped this.
  2. indestructible

indestructible Member+

SSC Napoli
    Jan 14, 2007
    Mercato Professor
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Remember this gem of a story?

Baggio angrily quits role at FIGC

Roberto Baggio has quit his role with FIGC.

Baggio had been working in the technical department of the Italian Federation.

"I am leaving because they haven't allowed me to work," slammed Baggio on the TG1.

"I don't care about keeping seats of power. I tried to perform the role that had been given to me, to renew the foundations of football training from children to teenagers in order to grow good players.

"I was not allowed to do this and am no longer prepared to carry on. I presented my project in December 2011. It was a 900-page plan and remained a dead letter.

"As President of the Technical Sector, I had no right to vote in the Federation meetings and there was no point going to meetings that had nothing to do with my work.

"For example, when I presented this plan I spent five hours waiting outside to then have a 15-minute presentation.

"The FIGC had set aside €10m for this project and I am grateful to President Giancarlo Abete for what he has done, but so far I have not received any funds to proceed. It all remained on paper.

"This is why I must sadly say goodbye. Is it definitive? I love football and my country, so I remain ready for any interesting proposal."

Read more at http://www.tribalfootball.com/articles/baggio-angrily-quits-role-figc-3769661#wIL95dlABcJDDW6L.99

monere, phat, Deleted User x and 5 others repped this.
  3. Calcio Pauly

Calcio Pauly Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Yep. Maybe @Java65 should read it instead of pretending he knows anything about it

4. NickyViola

NickyViola Member+

May 10, 2004
    Boston
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
  5. St. Michael's Sword

Mar 7, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Guy has played maybe 250 minutes this whole year, maybe.

NickyViola repped this.
  6. Daei_10

Daei_10 Member+

Aug 22, 2007
    LA, California
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2008 Euro should have been a wake up call
    2010 WC should have been a bigger wake up call
    2014 WC should have really rang the bells and alarms
    2018 WC things have fallen off a cliff now for good

Honestly i have lost hope in Italian federation. They dont get it and they hire the biggest idiots and they continue witch hunting Juve as if we are the ones holding things back. If anything Juve has been the ONLY bright spot in Italian football last 10 years, and what do they do instead of helping teams like us? they find bullshit accusations and ways to kick us down again

wouldnt be surprised if Italy ended up like the Dutch

juveeer repped this.
  7. Rob_420

Rob_420 Member

Jun 2, 2006
    Montreal
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Can't see Ancelotti joining or any other big name for that matter. Ancelotti made 15 million with Bayern, Ventura was being paid 1.3 million. Conte made over 4 million with half that salary being paid by Puma. Would Puma consider paying for the next manager for an uninspiring team in transition that just missed out on the big dance?

The FIGC wanted a youth movement but Ventura didn't have the personality to impose it over the senatori, and he wasn't in a good place to do so with Spain in the group.

indestructible repped this.
  8. indestructible

indestructible Member+

SSC Napoli
    Jan 14, 2007
    Mercato Professor
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Pretty much this. The big profile coaches won't be willing to do this job while their demand is high. And realistically, how much could a sponsor give?

My guess is that the FIGC are going to go for an ex-player. If they don't promote Di Biagio form the U21, then they'll go for someone recently retired. This morning they were throwing names out there like Grosso, Gattuso, Inzaghi etc.

9. UdineseFan98

UdineseFan98 Member

Mar 12, 2017
    St. Catherines, ON
    Club:
    Udinese Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    First and foremost, I am absolutely gutted. I am still in a bit of a daze today. As for the next manager, as an Udinese fan I would love Guidolin. He is a versatile (formation wise) manger and connects with his players, I am a big fan of him. I also wouldn't be opposed to a newer who would bleed for the shirt (ie. Gross)

10. NickyViola

NickyViola Member+

May 10, 2004
    Boston
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    Have you guys heard of this UEFA Nations League thing? A Facebook friend just posted about it and I've never heard of it so I thought I'd share.

More international breaks. Yay.... /s

Anyway, below is just a copy and paste of what he posted.

Now that UEFA qualifying is completely over, the next big UEFA event is...the UEFA Nations League, which I am hella excited for.

The 2018-19 UEFA Nations League will be the first of its kind. The 55 UEFA nations will be grouped into 4 league tables, separated by coefficient. Leagues A & B will have 12 teams each, League C will have 15 teams, and League D will have 16 teams. Each league will have 4 groups (groups of 3 in Leagues A & B, groups of 4 in League D, and three groups of 4 with one group of 3 in League C). Each group will consist of a double round-robin played over matchdays in September, October, and November of 2018.

The four group winners in League A will advance to a knockout stage (semis, third place, and final) in June of 2019, where the UEFA Nations League Champion will be crowned.

The 4 last-place group finishers from League A will be relegated to League B, replaced by the 4 League B group winners.

The 4 last-place group finishers from League B will be relegated to League C, replaced by the 4 League C group winners.

The 3 fourth-place group finishers and the worst third-place team from League C will be relegated to League D, replaced by the 4 League D group winners.

Group stages will occur in the fall of even-numbered years, with the semis and finals taking place in the summer of odd-numbered years.

11. thinredline10

thinredline10 Member+

Juventus
    Apr 2, 2017
    #36 thinredline10, Nov 14, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
    He definitely deserves more minutes, no reason to only sub him in for 5 minutes or to not let him get starts against minnow teams.

That being said, he didnt look very good in the last game vs Sweden.

12. thinredline10

thinredline10 Member+

Juventus
    Apr 2, 2017
    It would be really interesting if someone could explain the magor players at FIGC and how long they have been there, what they did prior to becoming involved, and where their interests lie.

Is there any good journalistic pieces on this?

13. NickyViola

NickyViola Member+

May 10, 2004
    Boston
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    Actually, no more breaks. Just fewer friendlies (for European sides, anyway)

14. NickyViola

NickyViola Member+

May 10, 2004
    Boston
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    There was a long thread when Tavecchio was chosen over.,... Don't recall. Albertini, i think. Somewhere on here. Maybe on Roma board.

15. thinredline10

thinredline10 Member+

Juventus
    Apr 2, 2017
    Maybe a good course of action is to not chase some one with prestige, especially if they have had a fall from grace.

Rather find someone with a hot hand who is hungry for success and who can manage the younger generation while building a new culture for the national team and getting them to adhere to it.

16. GIGI RIVA

GIGI RIVA Member

Fiorentina
    Canada
    Aug 24, 2009
    Guelph Ontario
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    You are right on all counts especially Number 5

17. GIGI RIVA

GIGI RIVA Member

Fiorentina
    Canada
    Aug 24, 2009
    Guelph Ontario
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    There is talent in Italy it just needs to be handled right . I saw this coming since 2010 and I am glad it happened now it is time to rebuild and hopefully we can do this right. I hate to say this but right now Italy is now the laughing stock on the Soccer World hopefully they can improve on things I think they will sooner than later.

18. johnny6

johnny6 Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    Jun 29, 2011
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Besides a few German trolls i haven't seen a single media source making fun of Italy, everyone in the soccer world is shocked not laughing.

Insigne4BalonD'or and GIGI RIVA repped this.
  19. GIGI RIVA

GIGI RIVA Member

Fiorentina
    Canada
    Aug 24, 2009
    Guelph Ontario
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Maybe I am a bit over reacting but it just pisses me off when I see countries like Belgium England Denmark Germany Croatia bringing in new young players and there teams doing good in tourneys while we are going down cause of Arrogance and stupidity

johnny6 repped this.
  20. johnny6

johnny6 Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    Jun 29, 2011
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Totally, i feel exactly the same and i've been saying it for a while and i'm the furthest thing from a soccer expert lol

GIGI RIVA repped this.
  21. GIGI RIVA

GIGI RIVA Member

Fiorentina
    Canada
    Aug 24, 2009
    Guelph Ontario
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Even Ventura saying he has only lost two games in two years. Please Sir Just ******** Off
    I guess that makes two of us LOL

calabrese8 repped this.
  22. NickyViola

NickyViola Member+

May 10, 2004
    Boston
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    I see it everywhere. I could post things but it's probably too soon.

23. Ian McCracken

Ian McCracken Member

May 28, 1999
    USA
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    The problem is that in 2012 Italy went to the Euro Cup finals (lost to Spain) and then had a great run in 2016 again (lost on PKs to Germany) beating Belgium, Sweden, Spain along the way. This gave a false sense of security after the abysmal World Cups in 2010/2014. It's really painful right now, and will continue to be up thru World Cup 2018, but the shock of not making the tournament for the first time in 60 years might actually result in productive changes and a unified purpose to return Italy to glory.

Insigne4BalonD'or and Daei_10 repped this.
  24. krado33

krado33 Member+

May 23, 2014
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Depends where they start assigning blame. The foreigners/young talent discussion has ZERO to do with not being able to beat this Sweden team, or finding ourselves in a qualifying group with Spain in the first place.

world soccer magazines repped this.
  25. PaoloC

PaoloC New Member

Juventus
    Italy
    Nov 15, 2017
    I agree... a young and hungry manager is a good idea but the young guys tend to want day-in, day-out football where they can shape a team in their image, see the players every day, and build a career and reputation.... then move to national sides when older.

The other main job qualification is for the new manager to be realistic about the guys he can select, and build the team around them (a la Conte) to get the most out of who he has. The talent pool is not unlimited. That's different from a club where you can have a playing style in mind and then go out and get the guys you want literally from anywhere.

That said, is Italy (both the team and Italian fans in general) ready for someone like Sarri? Would an all-out attacking Azzurri be such a bad thing? Surely he can find the guys to play this way? (Right off the bat, Insigne, Immobile, Bernardeschi, Jorginho and Verratti all come to mind... note 2 of these are already his guys). He is old enough and has been around long enough, clawing his way up from the lower leagues, to not be overwhelmed by the responsibility. Thoughts??