** A New Era - Rebuilding the Azzurri

Discussion in 'Italy: National Teams' started by Stamos, Nov 13, 2017.

1. indestructible

indestructible Member+

SSC Napoli
    Jan 14, 2007
    Mercato Professor
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Manolas was incredible guys. A real protagonist that Italy will be able to rely on!

Pietro Calcio repped this.
  2. Stamos

Stamos Member

Apr 6, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    A strong Serie A will attract top international talent. That in turn allows the younger Italian generation to play against and with them. A stronger league strengthens the domestic talent playing in it.

The fact Serie A was a powerhouse in thr 90s/early 2000s and the National team was as well isn't mutually exclusive. Good players become great by playing with/against top talent.

3. Deleted User x

Deleted User x Member+

Mar 21, 2006
    Look at the Serie A rosters of the 90's. Look at Juve's starting 11 when they last won the CL. They were largely made up of Italians players. I believe there was a limit on foreign players.
    Look at Serie A now. Teams like Lazio, Napoli, Roma, Udinese etc. often have 2 or less Italians in the starting 11.

Pietro Calcio and johnny6 repped this.
  4. indestructible

indestructible Member+

SSC Napoli
    Jan 14, 2007
    Mercato Professor
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    By this logic, the English would be on par with Spain and Germany in terms of national team talent.

5. UdineseFan98

UdineseFan98 Member

Mar 12, 2017
    St. Catherines, ON
    Club:
    Udinese Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Except the english league is mediocre at best. 4th best league in the world imo

Stamos repped this.
  6. indestructible

indestructible Member+

SSC Napoli
    Jan 14, 2007
    Mercato Professor
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #281 indestructible, Apr 12, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2018
    Regardless of your opinion on the Prem, it remains a richer league and attracts more international talent than Serie A overall. This has been the case for a long time now. The argument was that strong foreign talent will translate to strong domestic talent and this is false. The English have proved this. Iron sharpens iron yes, but Italy is producing butter knives right now.

7. Alex101

Alex101 Member

Mar 15, 2017
    It's also disheartening that not one Italian Club gave two shits that Italy didn't qualify for the World Cup or vowed to at least do a better job producing and playing Italian talent, Its such a globalist mentality these days in most leagues. Most top clubs in Italy, Germany, England, Portugal don't start a lot of there own domestic players. The FIGC has to think of some innovative ways, because their ain't no foreign ban coming like it did in the 70's.

Stamos repped this.
  8. Stamos

Stamos Member

Apr 6, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Look at the 2003 CL final. Half of the pitch was foreign talent, the other half Italian - Italians who were able to play against and with the top talent in the world on a regular basis.

A strong league doesn't automatically equal strong national team or vice versa but its an important factor.

There won't be another foreign ban but there can be rules put in place to encourage domestic talent playing and being developed.

9. Stamos

Stamos Member

Apr 6, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    You're a simple-minded person.

UdineseFan98 repped this.
  10. indestructible

indestructible Member+

SSC Napoli
    Jan 14, 2007
    Mercato Professor
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    take the L and walk bro

[​IMG]

Pietro Calcio repped this.
  11. Stamos

Stamos Member

Apr 6, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    How could I take the L if you already took it?..
    If you didnt realize you already took it, ask your mother. She knows a thing or two about taking it.

Rosay and UdineseFan98 repped this.
  12. indestructible

indestructible Member+

SSC Napoli
    Jan 14, 2007
    Mercato Professor
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Impressive rebuttal!

13. 'Uaglio

'Uaglio Member+

Jun 8, 2004
    NYC
    Look, it doesn't hurt at all that SES, Florenzi, and Pellegrini have gotten key playing time for Roma on their CL run. They aren't exactly old. Juve, on the other hand, has Bernardeschi, Rugani, and De Sciglio as young guys getting experience. However, they clearly have not contributed as much as the Roma Italian youth players have.

I agree the CL experience is good for Serie A, but having 2/11th of teams being foreign does not help Gli Azzurri very much. Milan is certainly doing their part to promote Italian youth and that will greatly help Gli Azzurri. Atalanta, Fiorentina, and others are doing their part as well. But, in the end, we do need the Romas, Napolis, and Juves to do more to get our young talent in there.

For example, Gonzalo Higuain is an overrated choking dog who only shows up strong against the likes of Crotone. There is no reason a healthy Belotti can't be purchased by Juve and be given a chance. Cristante has been a STUD this year. Will a big club give him a shot to run their midfield? They should. There is no logical reason they wouldn't. Barella has been one of the best midfielders in Serie A this year bar none. Will a big club give him a shot?

We all know the talent and speed Chiesa has...who will buy him this summer? Or, will he just be a bandiera on Fiorentina and never have a real shot at European glory?

The talent is there. It is up to the big clubs to invest in it.

14. Deleted User x

Deleted User x Member+

Mar 21, 2006
    There should be quotas where you have x number of domestic players in the starting 11. There are leagues outside of UEFA that do that.

totti fan and Pietro Calcio repped this.
  15. 'Uaglio

'Uaglio Member+

Jun 8, 2004
    NYC
    It's gotta suck being a Lazio fan right now. They tanked a 5-2 lead to an Austrian team? Che vergogna. That reminds me though...wtf is Lotito doing fielding only 2 Italians out of 11? You mean there are no Italian defenders better than those stiffs on Lazio's back line?

calabrese8 repped this.
  16. UdineseFan98

UdineseFan98 Member

Mar 12, 2017
    St. Catherines, ON
    Club:
    Udinese Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    And Roma wen't through too

17. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Well to be honest Roma has a better chance of winning UCL than Lazio winning Europa League (before they got knocked out). Lazio were doing good, but I never thought they would be able to overcome Atletico or Arsenal.

Roma on the other hand I feel can beat any team left in UCL with a good performance. Liverpool would be the easiest, but they are capable of upsetting Bayern if they knocked out Barcelona.

Real Madrid will be a lot harder, so I am hoping they face them in the final. In one off game, anything can happen, but I don't see Roma beating Real Madrid over 2 legs.

18. UdineseFan98

UdineseFan98 Member

Mar 12, 2017
    St. Catherines, ON
    Club:
    Udinese Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    According to Football Italia, Italy will play the USA next November. The venue has not been decided

19. calabrese8

calabrese8 Member+

Feb 9, 2008
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    i know it has exactly a 0.000001% chance...but please be seattle or somewhere close to me :thumbsup:

20. UdineseFan98

UdineseFan98 Member

Mar 12, 2017
    St. Catherines, ON
    Club:
    Udinese Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I am praying it is in the US. I would 100% fly anywhere to see La Nazionale play in NA.

21. calabrese8

calabrese8 Member+

Feb 9, 2008
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    would be nice...but i doubt it... in the middle of the season they're probably not going to leave europe...

if it was a june friendly then i would say 100% NA

22. UdineseFan98

UdineseFan98 Member

Mar 12, 2017
    St. Catherines, ON
    Club:
    Udinese Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    You are probably right, but that doesn't stop anyone from dreaming!

23. johnny6

johnny6 Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    Jun 29, 2011
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    If they play here in the U.S i'm taking a quick vacation.

24. TheAnswer1313

TheAnswer1313 Member+

Dec 12, 2007
    Charleston, WV
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    based on the time of the game......2:45 EST I highly doubt this game is in the US

25. totti fan

totti fan Red Card

Jun 24, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    this is a no-brainer for me.

If young Italians are not allowed the opportunity to play at a high level and develop to their full potential then for the most part they will remain unfulfilled talent.

Francesco Totti would not have become as good as he eventually became if he did not have the opportunity to play Serie A as a 16 year old. F.Totti would not get that chance today. So the argument that Italy does not produce young quality players does not fly with me.

Had this discussion on the Roma boards and I made the point that Italy youth frequently outperforms the German youth team. Difference at the senior level is that Germans get more playing time in the Bundesliga. The counter-argument they offered me was that Germans don't really try at youth level. It was like I was arguing with a 5 year old.

Rosay, calabrese8 and Deleted User x repped this.