A new Copa Intercontinental?

Discussion in 'Copa Libertadores / Sudamericana' started by Argentine Futbol, Sep 9, 2010.

1. Argentine Futbol

Argentine Futbol Red Card

Feb 21, 2003
    Old Greenwich, CT
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Last night they mentioned that possibly the Winner of the Recopa Suadmericana might play the UEFA Super Cup winner. Just that a Date was possibly being set. It would be interesting. Let's see how f@cking FIFA takes it.

2. The_Expert

The_Expert New Member

Aug 30, 2010
    They have been saying that since 2006. Thank god the IC is gone. I don't want to see that copa de leche never again.

3. atomicbloke

atomicbloke Member+

Dec 7, 2009
    Berkeley, CA
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    So a pre-season one-off game with little more prestige than a friendly, and neither the fans nor the players caring too much.

What's the point?

4. efernandez9

efernandez9 Member

Jun 6, 1999
    Joe Pool Lake
    Re: A new Copa Intercontinental? WAS GREAT IN JAPAN

nahhhhh

those 2 winners should get direct placement in the 'mundialito de clubes'
    no more....money making cups in a busy calendar already.

5. Andrés_

Andrés_ Member

Nov 16, 2007
    Argentina.
    Club:
    CA Independiente
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Last time there were talks of that it resulted on the Suruga Cup two years later. Tsk.

6. guri

guri Member+

Apr 10, 2002

are you talking about the Intercontinental Cup?

I rather have that back instead of the Fifa Club World Cup or whatever it is called - in the end it's the South American against the European champions anyways
    and we would be saving the players some extra work by playing just one game

7. Andrés_

Andrés_ Member

Nov 16, 2007
    Argentina.
    Club:
    CA Independiente
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Then again any rumour about this could've been pretty much made up by FOX Sports fellows, on the very same match they mentioned this, during the match they listed the previous Recopa winners but only up to 2003, then Benedetto mentioned about Independiente winning it in 1995, and Niembro questioned "how's that if the Sudamericana didn't exist?", then they cleared it up that it was the winner of Libertadores vs. the winner of Supercopa, Niembro mistakingly suggested it was the winner of Mercosur. Note how they treated tournaments which FOX Sports didn't have the rights to like they didn't exist... Because i'll never believe it that they didn't remember the Supercopa.

8. The_Expert

The_Expert New Member

Aug 30, 2010
    I was very surprised, too, when they seem to forget the Supercopa (which, if I remember correctly, was a highly regarded 2nd tier tournament).

It is a shame people like you and me know more about CONMEBOL then those who present it (and own it).

Have you checked out wiki's Copa Libertadores article? It is rated as a Good Article in wiki and it is the best football article on wiki, on par with the FIFA World Cup, and WAY ahead of the UEFA Champions League. It gives a complete history, information on prize money, trophy, sponsors, etc.

It is a shame that an English article has far more info on the tournament then CONMEBOL themselves. That's how backwards we are.

9. Andrés_

Andrés_ Member

Nov 16, 2007
    Argentina.
    Club:
    CA Independiente
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    It's hard to determine what the Supercopa was in reality because most of its history it co-existed with the Copa CONMEBOL, the true 2nd tier tournament, i believe that Supercopa is what killed Copa CONMEBOL ultimately.

I doubt they know anything about anything, because if you have their cell number or their twitter you can text them the data...

Some federations and leagues seem to be doing a good work with that, contrary to CONMEBOL... The problem in reality i guess that in South America compared to other places, not just Europe, is that they're aware of what's their domestic federation domain(as in responsability and obligations) but in South America it doesn't happen, right or wrong everything falls on the country's federations.