A NEW Challenge Cup

Discussion in 'AFC: Tournaments' started by druryfire, Apr 12, 2016.

1. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
  2. edrees

edrees Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Looks like the next qualifying phase for WC/AC will be the similar 40 teams into groups of 8, based on the above 2016 and 2020 competitions. Will the winner be given a direct entry into Asian Cup? I hope not, as these teams are quiet weak.

Personally, I would prefer to throw all 46 teams into the qualification grouping phase (maybe more groups, or lesser groups, whatever) but give all teams a chance to play. I know some scorelines will be just too big, but Asia need to bridge the gap

Md. Arefin Haider repped this.
  3. dinamo_zagreb

dinamo_zagreb Member+

Jun 27, 2010
    San Jose, CA / Zagreb, Croatia
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    It's easy to include all 46 teams to the format they used this time.

It would be six groups of six teams and two groups of five teams. 36+10=46. Number of groups (at the moment) is perfect. If it goes up to, let's say 12 groups, it ain't good as there would be less opportunity for minnows to play and to be in action.

They already have 10 matchdays and there would be no problems with schedules at all.

I don't like this new AFC Challenge Cup. Ridiculous. Those teams would be in action for only few weeks in four years time. Pathetic.

edrees and Md. Arefin Haider repped this.
  4. edrees

edrees Member

Nov 28, 2005
    That's a good point that there is already 10 match days so 6 groups 6 and 2 of 5.. To give all 46 teams a chance and playing time....

Question is, now that the big teams have played minnows and here were some big score lines, will the big nations want this qualifying method again...

5. stimory

stimory Member

May 13, 2008
    There were also surprises and close encounters as well.

Afghan-Juventus and edrees repped this.
  6. Angsa

Angsa Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    In UEFA they don't care about that. England and Germany have to play the likes of San Marino and Liechtenstein.

Minnows can surprise as well. Macau just drew 0-0 away to Malaysia earlier this year. They need more playing opportunities, not fewer.

Afghan-Juventus repped this.
  7. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
  8. Angsa

Angsa Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    So Brunei, Macau, Mongolia, Nepal, Pakistan and Sri Lanka are being isolated into solidarity.

Md. Arefin Haider repped this.
  9. thewitness

thewitness Member

Melbourne Victory, Derby County
    Australia
    Jul 10, 2013
    Club:
    Derby County FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    The article states
    Aren't there 3 teams eliminated in the Asian Cup playoffs? I guess it could be the 3 teams eliminated plus NMI, at the Solidarity Cup. Or are they worried Kuwait's suspension won't be lifted and they will need to include the best play-off loser in the Asian Cup Qualifying 3rd Round.