A NASL Discussion

Discussion in 'NASL' started by falvo, Oct 7, 2015.

1. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #1 falvo, Oct 7, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2015
    Who is to say that MLS, USL and the NASL won't eventually arrange to have some sort of working agreement or even some type of merger in place? I mean the NASL doesn't want to work with MLS now and maybe they have their own agenda at the present time but seriously, how long can it last and why can't that change? Some teams already have loan agreements in place between players (I.E. Khari to San Antonio) and there are only so many professional quality players and coaches to go around. Sooner or later, if the Bay Area does in fact get an NASL team , I don't see how they won't eventually not want to work with the MLS Quakes team. Its inevitable that they will be on the same page in some capacity and I don't see how it can not happen.

2. The One X

The One X Member+

Sep 9, 2014
    Indiana
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
    I think the NASL would be more than willing to work with the MLS as long as their teams are completely independent teams.

3. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Yeah well sooner or later, someone is going to have to relent. I don't see any reason how or why they can't or won't work together. for the good of the game and there players , for that matter.

4. FootySkeptic

FootySkeptic Member

Sep 24, 2015
    Club:
    Cardiff City FC
    The leagues have too different of philosophies when it comes to how a soccer league should be run. The push to make USL div2 is real especially with the reserve teams.

I can't see collaboration per se. I could see NASL just failing and folding up completely and some better run ownership groups get invited into the MLS. But then again I also could see the NASL maintaining relevance and keep div2 status if the independent ownerships groups work well together and play nice.

BUSA Bulldog repped this.
  5. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #5 falvo, Oct 7, 2015
    Sure you don't see it now and neither do I but that isn't written in stone and things in soccer can change rapidly. Ten years ago, when I moved back from living in Europe, I would never have imagined that MLS would be at the point they are at now with 20 teams and 3-4 on the way. Who would have thought in 2005 they would be at this point? Or for that matter that 14 teams have their own stadium? I'm sure there is room for improvement, especially in terms of quality of play but if the last 10 years are any indication of what soccer has become, there is no telling what will happen in the next 5-10 years. The NASL is nowhere near where MLS was was in 1996 and if they want to make some or any noise, they are going to have to learn to work with the D1 league whether the want to or not.

6. jspech

jspech Member

Dec 12, 2013
    #6 jspech, Oct 7, 2015
    Hahaha...

If you were correct you would not be on BS giving this advice away for free.

This post is a true testament to how MLS has convinced the masses that US Soccer is MLS and MLS is US Soccer, and any & all soccer played in these United States & Canada isn't soccer if it is not "MLS is Soccer", ie, Soccer is MLS.

oneeyedfool repped this.
  7. thesockerguy

thesockerguy Guest

Cool your jets, he was just offering his perspective. If you disagree, fine. No need to be disrespectful.

8. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Exactly. I've been an American soccer fan for 40 years and if history repeats itself.......

9. jspech

jspech Member

Dec 12, 2013
    #9 jspech, Oct 7, 2015
    who are you? He can give his opinion & I can give mine. If you disagree fine, but do not classify my words as disrespectful. I do not know the man nor do I want to cause him harm. You on the other hand, can Bug off or bite me clown. Now that is and was meant to be disrespectful to you, Internet guy

10. thesockerguy

thesockerguy Guest

You uttered "hahahaha" and used caps to convey tone. If that's not disrespect, I don't know what is. I'm not hindering you from giving your opinion but there is a respectful way to respond in conversation.

11. jspech

jspech Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Like I said Mr. Thought Police, bugg off or bite me or move along Internet guy. Tons of other tasteful comments are here just for you.

12. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Hooray! There's a bigger asshole than me in this thread. :rolleyes:

13. jspech

jspech Member

Dec 12, 2013
    #13 jspech, Oct 7, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2015
    I would say Thank you! Thank you very much, But I will decline. Not much value in anything coming from a person who classifies himself as an asshole.

You are all alone with that one, cuz. Or is that shave? Can't see well, I might be stoned or drunk or both. Anyway asshole, enjoy the title

14. jspech

jspech Member

Dec 12, 2013
    BTW, I see all of you bypassed the MLS part of my post. Instead take a morally upright correcting holier tone. I must be right on the MLS part.

Also sir, I say this w/ the most respectful of manners & tone, If 40 yrs of watching soccer makes one an expert, then their are billions of you.

15. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #15 falvo, Oct 8, 2015
    I don't know what any of this dialogue has to do with the thread or an NASL Bay Area team but I still don't see how the NASL and MLS can't eventually end up working together. It seems to me, all three leagues USL, NASL and MLS will have to start getting along sooner or later. I really don't see any other alternative. Even if NASL gets D1 status, what can possibly change? Unless they sign Messi and Ronaldo, they still will be a second tier outfit. Maldini & Nesta's Miami team as well as the NY Cosmos have world wide names and connections but that is still doesn't mean they will be a division one league , at least on the field.

Elninho repped this.
  16. DanGerman

DanGerman Member+

Aug 28, 2014
    New York City
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Falvo don't take anything Jspech says as personal. He's one of the more "reactionary" members of the Cosmos fandom. Everything not NASL is evil and wrong.

17. bnyc

bnyc Member

Jan 20, 2015
    New York
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Exactly right Falvo.
    The NASL might get D1; but then the league needs time to increase their revenues/profile, which are related. That means enduring years of spending and losses to increase revenues/profile to get to the point of profitability.
    Does anyone really wonder why $ is reluctant to own soccer teams?

18. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #18 falvo, Oct 8, 2015
    No big deal. I was a huge old NASL Cosmos fan as well when I was a kid.
    Exactly and Relegation/Promotion will almost spell the end of the game in this country as we know it. I on the other hand actually hope the league does well as I already saw the deaths of maybe 3-4 soccer leagues and I don't want to go through that again. When the original NASL and Cosmos folded, I remember seeing old Cosmos and Quakes player Mark Liveric in San Jose and it was like he was almost crying and I felt the same way. What I want to see is a merger and a working relationship between the leagues. I do foresee it , maybe not now but sometime down the line and its inevitable.

19. DanGerman

DanGerman Member+

Aug 28, 2014
    New York City
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would love a strong and healthy NASL eventually partner with MLS and bring something to the "table" as it were but I'm really pessimistic from everything I'm seeing right now from the NASL (Ownership issues with ATL, CAR and possibly SAS moving to the USL, I'm not high on PR and Miami and the increase apathy I see towards the Cosmos in NYC, etc...) In about 2 to 3 years I think we'll find out how things work out. I'm hoping for the best but from my experience I'm expecting the worst.

The One X repped this.
  20. bnyc

bnyc Member

Jan 20, 2015
    New York
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Hey Dan, not surprised that you're expecting the worse! That's OK.
    I also am not optimistic about PR and Miami; I actually think the Miami owner is exactly the kind of owner you need to in SF, I doubt he's interested.

Down the line will the leagues merge? It might be a long line but it's not unreasonable; the problem is reasoning people getting together.

21. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I didn't mean a merger where MLS assumes all the NASL teams but I do mean a working relationship. It can't hurt anyone to work together rather than apart. Again, I do see it someday and I hope it happens. As for Maldini & Company in Miami, he has a home there and is probably wanting to do something off his name. At least he got the team going before Beckham's MLS team will so that is a positive. A lot changes in 5 years time but I still have hard time envisioning Beck's club playing by 2020.

22. Baysider

Baysider Member+

Jul 16, 2004
    Santa Monica
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Why? USL and MLS get along fine. For the NASL, there could be a variety of ways it could go. Stay more or less as it is as a smaller league offering the opportunity for in-person soccer primarily in non-MLS cities or it could fall apart with some teams joining the USL.

Right now, all the pressure is on the NASL to get along. What could they offer to MLS?

23. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #23 falvo, Oct 8, 2015
    Right now, they may not offer much but in the future they can easily offer players across leagues. If they are supposedly a 2nd tier , most players playing in a lower level have every ambition to play at the highest tier. I know I would want to if I were playing. Whether they are good enough is another story but they need a chance to try. Why should a league prevent a player from playing wherever he pleases? Why would I as a player want to play for Nesta and Maldini in a second division NASL when I can play for Beckham's 1st tier Miami franchise? Therefore if that is the case, the two leagues have to in the end come to some sort of player agreement. I don't see how they can not. A few players are already being loaned across tiers therefore, there shouldn't be any reason on why there can't be more partnerships in place in other areas. I don't see how either league would suffer by working together rather than apart.

24. Baysider

Baysider Member+

Jul 16, 2004
    Santa Monica
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I guess I'm still not seeing it. Players can already switch leagues. Players can be loaned across leagues. I'm not sure what's being stopped.

25. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #25 falvo, Oct 8, 2015
    Nothing yet but they will never come to an agreement if there is a threat of a lawsuit in the works. Why is the NASL trying to sue the USSF or MLS? I'm not saying they will win but how can this be good for either league, the players or the game itself in this country for that matter?

NASL Set To Sue MLS,USSF Over Division 1 Sanctioning