A message to Miami FC front office

Discussion in 'Fort Lauderdale Strikers' started by KWorld, Apr 9, 2007.

1. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LOL. Something like the RSL fans do in Salt Lake maybe. Its called Carnival Real there, and for the Blues, it would probably mean using the area behind the west side stands (where the vendors are) and having a small area where fans can sign up on the email list or something and you could pass out flyers on future gatherings (perhaps the new Brazillian restuarant).

Just a thought.

2. river

river Member

Aug 12, 2001
    Cooper City
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We definitely need members to step up. I think a meeting between all of us that are doing separate things for the team should get together and form an alliance for the better good of MiamiFC and its supporters. A guy by the name of Steven H??? a while back attempted at forming such a group after the demise of the Fusion, he dropped out and I've been carrying that torch ever since 2002. We need to have a better entity, president, vp, press, controller, etc. There are so many avenues that I can't travel on my own. Stuart, Geo and you helped tremendously in the past. We need people with vision to join the supporters group, we need to have regualr meetings to discuss our objectives and plan our goals and execute accordingly.

Get involved!

3. The Fox

The Fox Member

Jul 10, 2006
    Gainesville, Florida
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can Traffic Sports begin by putting some hard news on their website, opening an on-line store, getting friendly with the Miami Herald and Sun Sentinel sports beat writers, etc. It speaks volumes that I'm able to keep up with QPR in the English 2nd division 3,000 miles away.

I understand that this is the beginning of MFC's 2nd season but it just seems to me that this was all thrown together without much thought, preparation or planning. I hope it does work but they got to let people know that they are around otherwise it's just word of mouth which will result in MFC's failure and the continued bashing of Florida as a lousy market for soccer.

I believe whole heartedly that soccer can thrive not just in south Florida but in Tampa, Orlando and Jacksonville. It needs to be actively marketed by committed owners. I don't see commitment in Traffic Sports.

4. river

river Member

Aug 12, 2001
    Cooper City
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've been seeing all kinds of positive news on their website almost daily of what they are doing. Additionaly, through the MiamiFC supporters Group (join the group, if you haven't done so already) we have been forwarding the almost daily press releases to all the members. Go to MiamiFC2.com and become an active member.

5. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Sun Sentinel and Herald cover almost every game and major event of the team.

Sounds like a lot of whining in here. Just go to the games ppl.

Considering that Traffic most likely lost a lot of money last year with Ramiro and all, the fact that they are still here for the 2nd year probably means they are committed.

6. river

river Member

Aug 12, 2001
    Cooper City
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Based on my conversations with the folks at Traffic There is no doubt that they are commited for the long term. Hence the reason they have chosen to target schools, youth soccer clubs and the like. I believe that Traffic understands very well that they need to build a grass roots organization. I also believe that they have the paitience needed to acomplish the goal in the long haul. They are here to stay! You ppl need to start coming out to the games and become believers. Once you do this and the crowds build I am sure more good things will come of it and you and your family will be part of the history making. Heck! many of the players on the team are the pride and joy of local talents which many of you may have seen if you grew up with Youth Soccer here in South Florida.

Let's learn from our past: The cost of planting that big beutiful tree is very costly and it may not take. Instead let's plant a little tree and with everyone's help we can feed and nuture the tree so that it one day will become a big beatiful tree.

Sorry for the crude analogy. But that's just what it is.

7. ButlerBob

ButlerBob Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2001
    Evanston, IL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I think that was a very good analogy. You don't grow something the size of a 100 year old redwood in two years. And you don't develop a club the size of Boca or Santos over night. I was out on the team's site and encoraged that they have expanded their front office and actually have a dedicated person to sell tickets. I think the fans have to also do their part in developing the club like you suggested. I'm looking forward to going to a game while visiting the area this spring.

8. river

river Member

Aug 12, 2001
    Cooper City
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A message from the front office.

Miami FC will honor Daniel Townsend, winner of

the contest to choose the team’s mascot

This will be the first opportunity to see the “Hotshot” in person

MIAMI, April 25, 2007 - Miami FC will be honoring the Miami FC Mascot Contest winning student, Daniel

Townsend from Robert Morgan Educational Center, tomorrow, April 26th, 2007 from 11:30am-1pm at Robert

Morgan Educational Center’s courtyard. Daniel Townsend was the student who created the mascot, “Hotshot”

and he and his school will be the first ones to see the mascot in person.

Miami FC will provide interactive activities with the school such as: mini-goal shootout, autograph and

photograph session with Miami FC players and Miami FC mascot, and Miami FC giveaways such as pins

with the mascot logo, pocket calendars, and bumper stickers.

Miami FC will also announce its promotions for the upcoming games and for the rest of the season. All children

up to 18 years old that attend a Miami FC game at Tropical Park Stadium with their youth team’s jersey will be

admitted free of charge to all remaining 2007 Miami FC games. This promotion will be in effect for the upcoming

game this Friday, April 27th, 2007 between Seattle Sounders and Miami FC at 8pm at Tropical Park Stadium

and for the remainder of the regular season.

In addition, Miami FC and the American Red Cross will have a promotion for the next two games. The “Mochila

Project”

is a campaign that Miami FC and The American Red Cross are involved in to get school materials for an

underprivileged

school in Honduras. Every person who donates school supplies will get 40% off their ticket for that game (for more

description of the school supplies and the campaign, please visit www.miamifc.com).

9. The Fox

The Fox Member

Jul 10, 2006
    Gainesville, Florida
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess we can agree to disagree.

10. river

river Member

Aug 12, 2001
    Cooper City
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. assistman

assistman New Member

Feb 10, 2005
    Boynton Beach, FL
    I've emailed Miami FC twice in the past week asking if they are doing any sort of promotion for Summer Camps. I am running a youth camp, just 26 kids, and would love to take them to a game. Of course, we would need a game with a kickoff time of around noon. The Marlins, and the Jupiter minor league teams do this over the summer.

So, those of you who actually get responses from the front office, can you tell them to respond to my email? I sent the email to a person once, and the general address a few days ago.

12. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Although I didn't really see any matches last year, I've read a lot about having Romario & Zihno in the same team. When all else fails, 2 WC players does not a team make. If the defenders, midfielders or GK's on the team aren't doing their job, the team will eventually suffer. Having said that, Miami was in their first year so I'm sure they can build from it.

13. Fiorentina lives!

May 5, 2004
  14. KWorld

KWorld Red Card

Mar 15, 2006
    At Home
    The club is a waste of time. Traffic Sport doing this whole thing to promote their company in the American soccer market. The can care less to make something out of this club. They are just marketing their company by adding a USL team. Trust me on that, I'm not trying to waste my time here.

The club is just SO freaking plain and boring. There's no excitement around this whole thing. I talk to soccer folks around the South Florida area and nobody cares or know anything about this club. How do you expect a bunch of Brazilians who don't speak English to run a pro soccer team in the U.S.A.? It's not going to work, take my word on that.

As much as I would love to see soccer in SF, I'm not excited and I don't believe Miami FC is going to bring any excitement to our world.

BTW, I read a message written by a person on this thread that they didn't reply back to his email regarding his youth team. Do you see my point?

15. The Fox

The Fox Member

Jul 10, 2006
    Gainesville, Florida
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No I don't think the apologists in this forum care to see your point. We are "whining" after all.

16. river

river Member

Aug 12, 2001
    Cooper City
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow! and Whatever.
    You are too negative for me and ill informed.
    Positive is a better track and causes less stress in life.
    I love soccer and I welcome anyone that supports and promotes soccer.

Traffic is HUGE and they are here to stay. Obviously you don't think they should be here! That's your opinion and you are entitled to it. I just hope that no one else follows you negativity parade.

17. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    853 is horrible and Traffic needs to improve ASAP in the marketing department.

So besides whining, what can fans do to help? I mean besides actually going to games. ;)

18. river

river Member

Aug 12, 2001
    Cooper City
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes the crowd wasn't there and the band wasn't there to play and although I could list many reasons why they didn't go to the game I won't.

But I will say that most of them went to see the Bulls top the Heat in game 3 of the NBA playoffs. Even the media was scarce at Tropical lat night.

I agree they need to market the games and create festive atmospheres where people want to come to a game without making it look like a fair or carnival. The vendors too look dark a bleak. It would be nice to have a game at a real stadium like Lockhart.

19. KWorld

KWorld Red Card

Mar 15, 2006
    At Home
    Dude, wake up and smell the coffee. I'm not too negative for the sake of being negative. I'm being realistic, that's all. They only drew more than 1000 fans a game once all season last year and that was Romario's first game because people were eager to see him. That tells you what a job they're doing.

If you want to be an excited kid just because you have soccer in SF, then that's your problem. I won't be pleased until I see a decent, passionate American soccer club trying to reach all the people for the sake of the team (not the company) the sport, and the city. Remember Ray Hudson from the Fusion? That was a passionate, South Floridian soccer man who wanted the best for soccer in SF and nothing else.

20. river

river Member

Aug 12, 2001
    Cooper City
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah right dude!

Bottom line:
    Did you go to the game last night?

If not, then stop preaching about what you want unless you have the money to make it happen. Actions are louder then words. You want a team down hear come on out and support it and bring your friends too.

You dare bring Ray (GOD himself) into this negative campaign of yours! Ray Hudson? Yes Ray is very passionate about the beautiful game and he'll be the first one to tell to go out and support your team. We don't have another pro team down here, the last I looked this was it. So if you have nothing positive to contribute. Why not just keep you negative comments to yourself. YOU ARE DEFINITELY NEGATIVE despite the fact that you think your being realistic. From my vantage you are doing nothing positive to promote soccer in South Florida.

If you are, point me to it.

21. assistman

assistman New Member

Feb 10, 2005
    Boynton Beach, FL
    River, you need to calm down a bit. Everyone on this little Miami FC side of the message board loves the game of soccer/futbol/futebol and wants it to thrive in this region. I don't see why anyone would want them to fail. A successful soccer team would be great for the area.

And a person does not need to attend the games to support the team. I live in PBC, at this point in time it is not worth the drive for me to head all the way down to Tropical Park to watch a game. However, if I were to hear that they were getting a few thousand people, and the atmosphere was great, then I would be more likely to make the drive. To be honest, even if I still lived in North Miami, I'm not sure the drive would be worth it yet. Tropical Park isn't exactly a fun place to get to. It is up to the Miami F.C. organization to make the trip worth it. That is their job. They have a marketing and sales staff that is responsible for getting people into the stadium.

Now, I also realize that is a very difficult job. I used to work for a minor league hockey team in Miami. It is a very tough sell. They have their work cut out for them, and, if my memory is correct, they know this and mentioned it in their first ever press conference. I also will say that I am impressed lately that they have been forming a lot of community partnerships lately.

You need to understand where people's feelings are coming from. We all want the team to do well, that is why we have been frustrated with what appears to be a lack of effort by the organization. The more we see them in the community, and in the press, the more fans will start to see the organization in a positive light. And will in turn support the team, either by talking about them, watching games on the internet, spreading the word, or yes, going to the games.

22. Newtbomb

Newtbomb Member

Mar 24, 2001
    South Florida
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Amen. It is unfortunate that Kworld feels the need to be that negative about our ONLY local team. If he thinks that neither the players nor the management are worth supporting, then he should focus his attention somewhere else. I think we are all aware of the issues this team has to work through. However, I don't expect them to have a top-notch organization at this stage in their development.

Even bad soccer is better than no soccer !

23. river

river Member

Aug 12, 2001
    Cooper City
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Assitman

I'm not upset but thank you!

If a person does not need to be in attendance to support the team then why are some of you whining (not you personally) about the attendance?

Do some of the people that post on this forum really know what they are talking about or are they just here to antagonize and paint things in a negative manner with no productive comments?

Is the team marketing, yes! Can they do more? Yes! Do they need fans to support the team? Obviously, yes. Do they have an unlimited budget? I can only wish! But I doubt it.

Get involved if you want this team to succeed and even if it doesn’t succeed you will have been a part of a bit of history down here.

Someone pointed at the Charleston Battery the other day as a great example of what a team should do to increase attendance and make it a more fun environment. Well, I agree and I think that it’s fantastic. I welcome you to go to the Charleston Team Supporters website and do half of what they do for their team.

I for one would prefer to discuss plans of setting up a VIP tent that becomes a private club with full bar, similar to what was up at Lockhart. Call it the "hotshot lounge" or whatever. I want to create an interest in this project and have those that want to be part of it get involved to make it happen. I don't want to hear noise about what isn't with no substance or recourse.

If there is one thing we need to learn in life is that it's not enough to say I want. You need to think of what you want and place those thoughts into action by visualizing and taking positive steps towards your goals. Only then will your dreams be realized. One needs to be thankful for what you do have. Traffic brought us a team down here and that is more then anyone else has done in the past 5 years. I am thankful for that. I'm also very thankful that Ray Hudson is on Gol TV and is able promote the sport in his very special way and for the passion he has for the sport.

KWORLD- I'm not upset with you or anyone on this forum. I can go down the street and watch my kids play soccer in the local park. But that's not what we're aiming for here. Building a grass roots system similar to many South Americans and European countries is what we should be seeking. That takes patience and years to accomplish. So if we win a few titles on the way. That's cake!

In the meantime let's go out there and support the team!

24. IceFunk

IceFunk Member

Oct 22, 2005
    Beaverton, Oregon
    Stay positive Miami! It obviously seems like Traffic is having difficulty finding their fanbase. The first year polish has worn off, and now the real setting is in for them. During the rough times, this is what seperates the customers from the fans. The ones who strive it out no matter what are the true fans. KWorld, you're definitely a customer. Instead of being negative and shit, why don't you actually do something to help the club? Or do you really care about local football, and would rather just be part of the fad.

Anyways I know it can be hard, that is why I watch this once and a while to remind me why I truly am a fan.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vzqGB4WLkY&eurl=

25. Fusion Logix

Fusion Logix New Member

Jun 23, 2005
    Miami,Fl
    Simple question, why support a team that shows no interest in reaching out to you?

Ive gone to the games and look forward to catching a couple this season, but thats doesnt deter from the fact that this organization is run terribly.