News: A Long, Strange Trip - 2018 DCU Season Thread

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by morrissey, Feb 21, 2018.

1. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Starting this a bit early as those that have plans to travel for this match over the holiday weekend will likely be effected

News: Match day changed for LAFC away match.

The Los Angeles Football Club (LAFC) announced today that the regular season contest against D.C. United has been rescheduled from Monday, May 28 to Tuesday, May 29.

Originally slated for a 5:00 p.m. PT kickoff, the match against United is now scheduled to start at 8:00 p.m. PT at Banc of California Stadium, with coverage beginning at 7:30 p.m. PT on YouTube TV and ESPN2.

All tickets for the original date will be honored on Tuesday, May 29.

James

Winoman repped this.
  2. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Geez, now I would have to take an extra day off from work to go to this.

And its "affected" as opposed to "effected" ... I am not a grammar nazi, but for some reason that particular mistake always grates on me.

[emoji16]

3. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    ******** the Chivas USA wannabes.

Boloni86 and Winoman repped this.
  4. DCUSKINS

DCUSKINS Member

May 26, 2008
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I honestly don't know what to expect from the team on the field this season. With another coach I would be much more optimistic but with Olsen I am sort of reserved. What I am excited about is the youth of this team and the speed at almost every attacking position. I truly believe that Mattocks is going to turn some heads this year and reach double digit goals.

What I'm most excited about though is that first game at Audi Field. Regardless of the drama between the FO and the supporters, it's going to be surreal watching the team play a home at a stadium of their own.

5. Eastern Bear

Eastern Bear Member+

Feb 27, 1999
    Great Falls, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Same

6. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    Just the opposite. Olsen is probably the only person who could have kept the locker room alive and even half-way interested in playing hard and trying to win over the past three years. We all know the FO does not care about trying to put a decent product on the field. Well so do the players. Under anybody else, this team would be dead. Its going to be more of the same for this season, and on into next.

I"m not saying Olsen doesn't have any deficiencies, or that he couldn't improve his tactics and choices of lineups. BUT. Its a lousy hand. And if you have nothing but lousy hands nearly all the time, you aren't going to win much.

7. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    The long road trip is a double edged sword. The positive is that it takes pressure off the team early on. Nobody will criticize too much if they have a few losses. The first bloc of road games is going to be super tough ... Orlando, Atlanta, Columbus, SKC and Toronto. All very losable games. But then at some point they have to grab 3 points in a few places ... on paper there's a few opportunities in early summer like Philly, RSL, San Jose, LAG, LAFC and New England. All teams that weren't in last year's playoffs.

The other side of the coin is that the road trip will be simply too much. The team will be incapable of stealing road wins. Then they go into Audi Field debut at or near last place. By then the team confidence is destroyed and they'll basically punt to 2019.

One thing we can hope for is that the bottom half of the East has a weak year. That would keep that 6th spot within reach late into the season. This scenario is not totally unlikely. I see a very weak offseason for Revs, Chicago and Philly. Montreal is almost completely rebuilt so who knows how long that takes to gel. And the Crew is playing under a relocation shadow.

Q*bert Jones III repped this.
  8. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    It's never wise to disparage an opponent until the final whistle blows and you have won

Winoman repped this.
  9. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    This is starting to sound like the guys in jail numbering the jokes because everyone has heard them incessantly.
    You say the positives are excuses for losing.
    Time to just assign numbers to: too hot , too cold, too far, too close, to wet, too dry. not enough rest, too much rest, grass too long, grass too short, etc.
    Otherwise a nice summary

10. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Isn't that what sports fandom is all about???

shawn12011, fatbastard and sitruc repped this.
  11. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    Word.

12. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    and this is why this year the script is flipped. We don't have a lousy hand. We have quality across the pitch and waiting for the coach to chant "Rudy" in the locker room isn't going to cut it.

We either have the coaching and tactics to play well or we will be a middling to hot mess in the midfield.

Ben would be much better off with a decent tactician as an assistant. I've never believed that he had those skills but I sure as shit don't believe in Ashton.

So - either we perform well and it was the hand or we perform poorly and now we actually have consensus in blaming the coaching staff.

I still don't think we have the tactics to finish high in the table. We will likely have to squeak into the playoffs via a play in.

We shall see.

james

grumpydcu, GlennAA11, John L and 2 others repped this.
  13. Q*bert Jones III

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    No, we don't at all. On the contrary, Alex Ferguson couldn't get a team with this schedule into the playoffs.

roadkit and fatbastard repped this.
  14. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Already making excuses for the coaching and the season hasn’t started?

We have a good 13-14 players so with decent tactics we should be able to be mid table.

James

15. Q*bert Jones III

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    Having the first 14 games in a row away from "home" isn't an excuse. It's an explanation.

Also, totally avoidable.

sitruc, BassNFool and fatbastard repped this.
  16. DecadeOfDCU26

DecadeOfDCU26 Member+

May 2, 2007
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really don't think the away trip is going to be the death blow that you think it is. This team appears talented enough to get some results. I'm not saying we'll be in a playoff spot by the time Audi opens, but the season certainly won't be over by then either.

I've posted this before, but look at Sporting KC. 2010, they finished 3rd in the East, but didn't make the playoffs due to wildcard rules at that time (2 from the East and 6 from the West made it). They were 9th overall.

2011 - They started the season with a 10 game road trip before Sporting Park opened. We have 12 away games and 2 "home" games before Audi opens. Net of 10, same as SKC. They got 6 points out of those 10 games. They also went ahead to finish First in the East after Sporting Park opened.

I don't think Peter Vermes is a tactical genius.

Just saying, it's already proven that this kind of start isn't a deathblow, even for a non-playoff team the year prior. And they finished in first place in the conference. You're saying they'll already be eliminated from playoff contention.

17. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    and how is it that I am on the positive side of this conversation?

come on now?

Dogs and cats living together? Mass hysteria!

Winoman and DecadeOfDCU26 repped this.
  18. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    If you act the fool, yes. There is a required degree of dignity in sportsmanship

19. DecadeOfDCU26

DecadeOfDCU26 Member+

May 2, 2007
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you're done with the team as you've stated, why do you still come here just to insult us and post riddles?

sitruc and Q*bert Jones III repped this.
  20. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    No it's preemptive excuse making and whining before the fact

21. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So talking friendly smack about the quality (or lack thereof) of an opponent on a message board is now the equivalent of acting the fool? Ooooooooooooook.

song219, sitruc, Winoman and 2 others repped this.
  22. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    I'm done buying tickets. I did say I'd watch if the games were on cable or did you run out of steam before you got that far?
    There's no us, just you.
    Every post here is a personal shot or an attempt to hurt your feelings unless they agree with your party line? This is a discussion board not your paid infomercial

23. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    t
    Is there a difference between smack and BS?

24. DecadeOfDCU26

DecadeOfDCU26 Member+

May 2, 2007
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And to you everyone who doesn't agree with your party line is a fool. This is a discussion board after all, and not your paid infomercial.

I'm not sure what you even mean about personal shots or hurting my feelings; I wasn't even involved in this discussion until I asked you this question. I'm not offended, it was a genuine question about your presence. I don't even know how you'd get to that conclusion from my posts here.

sitruc repped this.
  25. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA

Oh-Em-Gee !! MLS has allowed a game to be re-scheduled for the next day? Mass hysteria! Dogs and cats living together!

JayRockers! repped this.