News: A Long, Strange Trip - 2018 DCU Season Thread

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by morrissey, Feb 21, 2018.

1. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    Just a guess, but I'd wager there that the preponderance of comments concerning Ben's skill in substitution personnel, position and timing have been negative. (someone sitting at work is already counting) Doesn't mean they were posted by folks with the coaching skills of an Arsene Wenger and are correct, just that it sure seems that many disagree with his choices.
    I think he's been running at flank speed through the icebergs for too long and has plenty of excuses banked up for when he hits one with a loss of ship and crew. So yeah, there's going to be a day when he's held accountable, hopefully it won't be this year. But I think he's close to having the issues you describe right now.

2. fairfax4dc

fairfax4dc Member+

Dec 5, 2008
    Fairfax, Va
    Sounders fans sure stuffed the ballot bix for goal of the week. A Seattle goal that could at best be called "nifty" beat out Rooney's free kick, which should be in competition for goal of the year.

3. asitis

asitis Member+

Mar 30, 2005
    Charlottesville
    You expecting objectivity, discernment or even a little class?
    :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

asitis

Winoman repped this.
  4. fairfax4dc

fairfax4dc Member+

Dec 5, 2008
    Fairfax, Va
    None of those things I guess. But it makes me want to pick a random Seattle thread and type "artificial turf." They go ape shit for days.

dadman, Winoman and asitis repped this.
  5. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    DCU webbies were always doin' a Putin on the MLS Goal of the Week ballots back in the day. As an old football coach used to say, "Organization is the key to success". We were shameless.

6. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No online poll can be trusted or should be paid attention to. I've helped stuff a digital-ballot-box or two in my time for either DCU or Dale Jr :D

sitruc, dadman and Winoman repped this.
  7. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Rooney's free kick was nice but not that great, as I have said.

fatbastard repped this.
  8. asitis

asitis Member+

Mar 30, 2005
    Charlottesville
    Goff reporting that Kofi Opare had foot surgery. He'll be out 3-5 months. I was hoping he'd be available for our playoff run.

asitis

sitruc and Winoman repped this.
  9. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's a good thing Brillant has really turned it on the past couple of months, then.

Winoman repped this.
  10. fairfax4dc

fairfax4dc Member+

Dec 5, 2008
    Fairfax, Va
    Opare's injury is bad news. Brilliant's been playing pretty good, but Villa's goal in the last game was an illustration of his limitations. Of course Villa is (still) a great player who has beaten many a defender, but I think Opare would have found a way to block that shot. I sure hope he makes a full recovery for next season. With our defensive midfield looking real solid I think we can live with a central defender who's a defense first type of player.

sitruc, dadman and Winoman repped this.
  11. asitis

asitis Member+

Mar 30, 2005
    Charlottesville
    Thinking about center backs, if I remember correctly, at the last USMNT's last match there was some discussion that Cameron Carter-Vickers is not getting much playing time at Swansea. I'm not that familiar with his game and I know he's young, but could we take him on loan from Tottenham, his parent club. Would we want him? Would he want to come to MLS? Is there someone at Swansea who might be willing to help such a move along?

asitis

Winoman repped this.
  12. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    I think the word on Carter-Vickers is good ability but brain farts. That is a career killer for a CB.

asitis repped this.
  13. DCUSA

DCUSA Member+

Jan 14, 2006
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He'll turn 21 new years, he just needs to play. I watched him a couple times with the u17s, he looked dominant to me. Reminded me of Nemanja Vidic, constantly moving, leading the team, head on a swivel, winning every challenge that came his way.
    I'd take him in a second. It wouldn't necessarily work out, but he has the potential to be a best eleven center back.

asitis repped this.
  14. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    CCV is good enough for MLS, but is MLS good enough for him? If Spurs loan him out, it will be to a quality league (even Swansea is still EPL).

Winoman, UnitedBorn and benni... repped this.
  15. asitis

asitis Member+

Mar 30, 2005
    Charlottesville
    Swansea are not in the EPL; they're in the Championship. If he's not playing for a mid table (currently 8th) Championship club, how much of a step down would be regular playing time at DCU?

asitis

sitruc repped this.
  16. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    interesting that the pasted link above indicates they tied at 17 but the article it links to says the other guy won the title 18 to 17.

17. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The article was originally posted with them as tied, but has been updated. Dockal assisted on Philly's lone goal yesterday to take the title.

Winoman repped this.
  18. JRHokie

JRHokie Member+

Aug 23, 2001
    Fairfax, VA
    Is there anywhere to find the standings at any given week during the season? I have not been able to find it.

Was wondering what would standings look like if season started Aug 11

19. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The best I can find is 538's MLS predictions page: https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/soccer-predictions/mls/

If you pick August 4 (the next day they have is August 14), DC United are at 18 points. They picked up 33 points the rest of the way, though they also had games in hand.

Here's how everyone else did:

NYRB: 30
    Atlanta: 21
    NYCFC: 12 (their schedule was pretty heavily front loaded, but ew)
    Columbus: 15
    Philly: 23
    Montreal: 17
    NE: 12
    Toronto: 13
    Chicago: 9
    Orlando: 5 (OMG they were so bad)

SKC: 26
    Seattle: 30
    LAFC: 21
    Dallas: 15
    Portland: 17
    RSL: 15
    Galaxy: 13
    Vancouver: 17
    Houston: 11
    Minnesota: 8
    Colorado: 11
    San Jose: 5 (OMG they were worse than Orlando)

John L, Winoman, UnitedBorn and 2 others repped this.
  20. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My guess would have been us followed by Seattle and NYRB just based on what I remember from the season. Turns out I was spot on. I would not have had SKC as 4th place. I would have said I had no idea who was in 4th.
    I wonder if we were ahead on PPG or just on total points. I'm assuming we played more than 2 games more than NYRB and Seattle so the answer would be that we were just a hair worse on PPG than those two teams.

21. JRHokie

JRHokie Member+

Aug 23, 2001
    Fairfax, VA
    Excellent! Thanks for that.

pr0ner repped this.
  22. fairfax4dc

fairfax4dc Member+

Dec 5, 2008
    Fairfax, Va
    Hmmm... I checked the Philly box score last night and he wasn't then credited with an assist. These decisions can be made later?

23. fairfax4dc

fairfax4dc Member+

Dec 5, 2008
    Fairfax, Va
    For the second half of the season, (game 18 for each team and beyond) Atlanta had 35 points, we had 37, RBNY 39 and Seattle 43. So objectively speaking our seond half was probably fourth best (our schedule was home loaded), but still extremely impressive considering that the club was dead line the water in every way before that.

But of course Atlanta and Seattle don't count because they play on ARTIFICIAL TURF.

JRHokie and shawn12011 repped this.
  24. Eastern Bear

Eastern Bear Member+

Feb 27, 1999
    Great Falls, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    It's also hard to count us in the 2nd half because most of our games were at home.