News: A Long, Strange Trip - 2018 DCU Season Thread

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by morrissey, Feb 21, 2018.

1. yabo

yabo Member+

Jun 1, 2000
    Poolesville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rooney understands the adage, let the game come to you. Not sure Acosta does. We'll be more dangerous if Senor Rooney brings in more players.

2. fairfax4dc

fairfax4dc Member+

Dec 5, 2008
    Fairfax, Va
    Maybe we're over-reacting a little to one game, playing a makeshift lineup, against one of the best defensive clubs in the league.

Losing Fisher has hurt us a lot on offense. The team is adjusting but can't completely compensate.

Steiber's talented but at times seems a little soft. A handful of times he had the ball taken from him with little struggle. If he gets the start on Wednesday it will be a big (and maybe last) opportunity for him to show he's a potential starter for us next year.

Early in the seaon I foolishly predicted Asad would be in USL next year. I regret that because he's got real talent. He seems to be a little emotional though. When he makes a bad play or two he literally hangs his head, and it seems to take him a while to get back in the game. He's still young, though, and has a huge upside. Senior Wayne won't forget those great moves Asad made, and will be looking for him.

song219 and Winoman repped this.
  3. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    Missing Arriola was huge because Stieber simply isn't as dynamic a player. Arriola has leather lungs and continually moves and makes darting runs into the 18. Stieber is more methodical and just doesn't appear to want to get stuck in the way Arriola does. Stieber also wasn't helped by having a stiff like Robinson behind him because I'm sure he wasn't sure when or if Robinson would overlap and my guess is that Ben told Stieber "defense first" when Robinson was paired with him. If NDL can start tomorow, I think Stieber will be more active offensively.

As for Asad, he's fine. Don't worry about him.

Boloni86, Eastern Bear and ejs1111 repped this.
  4. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    Exactly. Robinson brought out the worst in Stieber. One hopes Deleon would bring out the best.

5. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Asad was great on the ball, but he isn't as well integrated into the new Rooney attack in terms of the passing and movement. He is important to our attack though.
    Steiber hasn't improved his game with Rooney's arrival particularly. I haven't looked at exact stats before and after, but maybe he just didn't react as well to spot starting and coming off the bench?

PSURoss repped this.
  6. UnitedBorn

UnitedBorn Member+

Dec 7, 2015
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Boloni86, GumbyG, sitruc and 3 others repped this.
  7. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    Winoman repped this.
  8. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    sitruc and Winoman repped this.
  9. PSURoss

PSURoss Member+

Sep 30, 2002
    DC Burbs
    I think with Rooney coming in and have to play & produce right away, he might not have had as much time to work into a whole team perspective, so picking Lucho was the best choice of who to focus on building understanding with. That said, I would expect by now that Rooney's relationships with the rest of the midfield and attack should be more developed.

10. Q*bert Jones III

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    I'm completely fine if Greg Berhalter gets the job as the USA coach except that it means Trapp and Steffens are going to be the #6 and #1 for the next generation, when it's patently obvious that Canouse and Hamid are each far better at those positions. (And Tyler Adams is better than either at #6.)

GumbyG and Winoman repped this.
  11. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was anyone criticizing Asad?

12. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    I think someone was criticizing his defense.
    The crisis is that with the team getting better it is harder to find a legitimate reason to criticize players. :) It was much easier in the past. Now we have to stretch for reasons to criticize players like Asad.

Real Mobile and asitis repped this.
  13. yabo

yabo Member+

Jun 1, 2000
    Poolesville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Canouse I agree with, but Hamid had to many mental blunders to be the starting national team goalie.

Heist repped this.
  14. Q*bert Jones III

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    For the national team or at the club level? Hamid has been the best goalie in the league, hands down, since his re-arrival. The only competition right now IMO is Stefan Frei.

Would you trade Hamid for Steffens? I wouldn't, unless there was *A LOT* of TAM. I don't really get the fascination with Steffens who seems like an adequate but not extraordinary keeper.

GumbyG repped this.
  15. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't watch enough of other teams to really know, but all the people who do watch seem to prefer Steffen... maybe he gets the nod cause he's as good as Hamid, but younger and with more upside?
    I think Hamid has been instrumental to our resurgence along with Rooney and Canouse, but It's hard for me to say that he's hands down better than Steffen. Some might take him over Steffen, but my guess is that almost all of those people wouldn't be feel that strongly that Hamid is better. I wouldn't trade Hamid (not that we even can if we have him on loan, can we?) for Steffen, but that's more for emotional reasons than him being clearly better.

16. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    Hamid's main problem all along is that he picks up a nagging injury frequently. At least once a season. Thats barely acceptable for a club striving to be at the top. But you can't have that as your Number One National Team GK. Maybe if he's been healthy for 2-3 months and you need designate a back-up. But not as a starter.

fatbastard, TowsonDad and GumbyG repped this.
  17. GumbyG

GumbyG Member+

DC United
    Mar 22, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think this is true, but it's also a shame. The national team is a really different animal, IMO. You can't count on continuity and familiarity, so you have to fall back on chemistry, communication, and the ability to work fluidly in whatever system you're in. There should be no #1 anything, unless you have a Messi or Ronaldo on your team. I can't think of a single situation where that's true for the US, with the borderline exception of Pulisic.

Whenever the keeper with the best save percentage in MLS is healthy and available, I would hope we would strongly consider bringing him into camp for meaningful games, and let the chips fall where they may.

18. yabo

yabo Member+

Jun 1, 2000
    Poolesville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So team I'd take Hamid. National team, no. It's a different animal. US has to have a stout goalie that doesn't screw up to be competitive. Maybe he's different now, but previously on the US he looked too jittery.

19. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd give Steffen the edge with distribution, as well.

asitis, Eastern Bear, yabo and 1 other person repped this.
  20. Q*bert Jones III

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    I think the argument you're making is that Hamid makes more spectacular saves but Steffens is less likely to screw up. I don't really buy this line of thinking. For one thing, Hamid isn't 18 anymore and I can't think of any significant brainfarts since his return. He's a mature goalie at this point with good fundamentals, who's also a world class shot stopper. The one flaw in his game is that he's too often injured, something he can't control. Perhaps you could argue that he's too aggressive but I think that's a feature, not a bug.

Furthermore, I reject the argument that you need a steady GK, rather than a extraordinary keeper who might screw up once in a blue moon. France won a world cup with Fabian Barthez FFS!

It's such a small part of the job. I want goalies that stop goals. Everything else is secondary. At any rate, Hamid's distribution isn't that poor; this isn't the 18 year old version of Hamid anymore.

21. yabo

yabo Member+

Jun 1, 2000
    Poolesville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Stout is not the same as steady. Too me it's a combo of impenetrable and unflustered [emoji16] It's opinion but since your buying I got more. Let me know...

22. mattjo

mattjo Member+

Feb 3, 2001
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Love Bill but his distribution is also very suspect.

Winoman repped this.
  23. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bill is indeed "often injured". Like right now.

ejs1111 repped this.
  24. fairfax4dc

fairfax4dc Member+

Dec 5, 2008
    Fairfax, Va
    Twenty good distributions might not lead to one goal, but one great shot stop prevents a goal. It's not an accident that w're now rarely conceding more tha one goal a game, with the same defense that leaked goals throufh the first half of the season.

Q*bert Jones III repped this.
  25. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not to discredit Bill, but Canouse was hurt. His return is also major.

fatbastard and griffin1108 repped this.