News: A Long, Strange Trip - 2018 DCU Season Thread

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by morrissey, Feb 21, 2018.

1. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    Last night truly exposed this defense. Of the 4 starters, only Fisher was slightly above average in his play. Birnbaum is just mediocre at this stage in his career. Opare still is a train wreck with the ball and at his age likely will be forever. (He did make a really good desperation save on Dwyer late in the game -- but then again a better defense might not have allowed that to happen in the first place.) Mora just lacks any pace whatsoever, so he backs off from players allowing them to line up crosses and passes because he's terrified he'll be turned. We'll probably see Vytas Wednesday, but really, who is on the bench? Brillant? We've seen what he can do. NDL? Out injured and no world beater when healthy. OA? Is he injured again? A player DCU waived last year who wasn't picked up by any other MLS team and got a roster spot on a tryout this seasons. Robinson? Is he injured or in witness protection? Now Hamid might make these guys a bit better than Ousted has, but I'm not sure DCU has a defender on its roster that any other team would pick up on a free.

Boloni86 and Winoman repped this.
  2. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    According to Alexi last night, Birnbaum is now prefers Steven rather than Steve. Maybe he'll try Stefan in V3.0. Regardless, Hamid isn't going to fix this mess and is at great risk of looking very foolish behind the maggot-knot line that would give a Marvel Comic hero pause before suiting up.

3. QuietSide

QuietSide Member

Oct 18, 2002
    Durkin?

Didn't he play center defender in the U17 World Cup.

Our passing out of the back would immediately improve about tenfold.

And I think he could organize things a lot better. He seemed pretty vocal and composed while at defensive midfield.

Eastern Bear repped this.
  4. silentbob

silentbob Member

Aug 17, 2003
    Maryland
    Club:
    DC United
    Cameron is older than Rooney. I vote for in-house option, unpalatable as they are.

fatbastard repped this.
  5. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    I can assure you that if United acquires Geoff Cameron, that will be the end of Ben Olsen's managerial career after Cameron breaks out the poison pen and airs all the perceived dirty laundry rolling around in his head. So maybe he's just the guy this crowd's been looking for.

During a relegation battle he was subbed on once in his teams final seven games, a win, three draws and three losses. Let me be the first to say it, he's washed up at both the international and top-tier European league level. Let someone else carry the water for US Soccer in this case.

Thx,

Jay!

6. UnitedBorn

UnitedBorn Member+

Dec 7, 2015
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Cameron apparently off to Germany.

Would like to see Durkin get a shot back there if he isn't going to play at hi normal position.

JayRockers! repped this.
  7. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    He's 18, I wouldn't put organizing our shitshow defense on him. It's Birnbaum or the 'keeper who must do that.

Winoman repped this.
  8. OldTownFan

OldTownFan Member

D.C. United
    United States
    Nov 17, 2017
    Let's talk again after we see what Cameron does at Werder Bremen (presuming the reports are correct). That's a top-tier European league, right? :whistling:

9. PSURoss

PSURoss Member+

Sep 30, 2002
    DC Burbs
    Cameron can do whatever he wants at Werder Bremen. He's not meant for DCU at his age, competency and price point. For a TAM deal? why not, but not the $3M number that been kicked around. You're a decent sized team in a European league flush with cash, $3M is a rounding error. Not the case anywhere on this side of the planet.

10. OldTownFan

OldTownFan Member

D.C. United
    United States
    Nov 17, 2017
    Two different complaints. Is he washed up or too expensive? I am doubtful re the first, more willing to listen re the second. But we don't really know what his number is at this point. Maybe the Werder Bremen deal will give us an idea.

GumbyG repped this.
  11. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mmmmmmmm, it can be a bit of both. But people who are willing to bring Cameron in as a DP have to consider this:

In the last 2 years, Geoff Cameron has only had 42 appearances for Stoke in competitive games. That includes cup competitions as well as the league. In addition to being planted on the bench while in a relegation fight for his club, he has been injured for a good chunk of time as well. And not with a single catastrophic type injury that couldn't be avoided … but several niggling things. So why would we want to risk picking up a player at a high DP price point, who is 33, has struggled to stay healthy, and wasn't seen to be good enough to help in a relegation fight? Price is inextricable linked to interest, because there is a high end of how much you could offer even for the greatest players. But to pay an exorbitant price for someone clearly in decline, who won't even put butts in seats, and who you can't count on being healthy for more than half the season if recent history is your guide, would be a huge mistake.

JayRockers! repped this.
  12. PSURoss

PSURoss Member+

Sep 30, 2002
    DC Burbs
    What I actually said was that you can make a $3M mistake or have a $3M squad player at place like Werder Bremen. You can't have that in MLS. Further, his age, injury history and the position he plays dictates that he's at best a TAM player in MLS.

13. Rick77

Rick77 Member

Apr 25, 2001
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thank goodness Rayo -- and DCU -- didn't sign him.

JayRockers! repped this.
  14. fairfax4dc

fairfax4dc Member+

Dec 5, 2008
    Fairfax, Va
    Whatever else happens at least we are back in the MLS conversation. On the MLS website are articles about Acosta's hat trick, Ronney's influence and Hamid's return.

We're stil a bad team that played a mostly bad game Sunday night, but the Rooney acquisition seems to have injected some fight into this squad. That and the fact the there are still couple of playoff spots up for grabs makes attending the next dozen or so games bearable..

Dizi, tallguy and Winoman repped this.
  15. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    I don't think I've ever been so wrong about anything as I was about Wayne Rooney.

SoccerEsq, PSURoss, DCUSA and 12 others repped this.
  16. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    So everyone is just going to ignore Bill Hamids error?

17. Dizi

Dizi Member

Feb 13, 2015
    Club:
    DC United
    I probably missed it. You mean the goal?

18. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Yes.

19. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wouldn't call it an error by him.
    The D, mostly Canouse, but also Birnbaum was bad. Hamid might get it when he's really on his game, but he hasn't started consistently in about 11 months. I don't expect him to save a shot from that close range.

sitruc, Winoman, Dizi and 1 other person repped this.
  20. UnitedBorn

UnitedBorn Member+

Dec 7, 2015
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bill has played like 3 competitive matches in the past 6-7 months. People aren't ignoring it but are understanding that some rust is to be expected.

Winoman and BassNFool repped this.
  21. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    I thought you meant his decision to go to Denmark.

Winoman, benni..., DecadeOfDCU26 and 2 others repped this.
  22. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    Leaving Denmark weather to come to this?

Winoman and fatbastard repped this.
  23. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    He was making mistakes before he left.

Dizi repped this.
  24. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Errors and risks are different things.

25. Dizi

Dizi Member

Feb 13, 2015
    Club:
    DC United
    I'm ok with most of his mistakes. I guess I might be hard on him if he costs us points but I expect a goal a game from this defense.

His mistake yesterday was tolerable. I'm far less forgiving at the other end of the pitch.