News: A Long, Strange Trip - 2018 DCU Season Thread

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by morrissey, Feb 21, 2018.

1. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    I think this has been addressed and debunked...

So, essentially three players who Ben "got rid of" Salihi, Hernandez who blossomed unexpectedly overseas, and Ruiz piled it on in front of the home town fans.

Boskovic, who played one more season, Najar/Kitchen who wanted out and Wallace who was traded for Dax who was traded for DeRo.

DC United has been the stop of last resort for many a deckchair.

Thx,

Jay!

shawn12011 repped this.
  2. UnitedBorn

UnitedBorn Member+

Dec 7, 2015
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The point is that their BS is Reddit and that the theory shouldn’t be limited to one website. My apologies if it was not as easy to grasp as intended.

3. BassNFool

BassNFool Member

Jun 29, 2005
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was attempting humor.

4. DCUSA

DCUSA Member+

Jan 14, 2006
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Theory? It was a response to a specific comment about how no game thread on this website equals poor turnout at the opener. Reddit doesn't enter into it. Don't double down on dumb.

5. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Speaking of only one, Boskovic, Ben admitted to me that he failed to see his quality.

JayRockers! repped this.
  6. UnitedBorn

UnitedBorn Member+

Dec 7, 2015
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sorry you aren't capable of disagreeing without the use of insults.

If you don't agree or see the viewpoint that is fine but no need for the extra stuff.

DecadeOfDCU26 repped this.
  7. DCUSA

DCUSA Member+

Jan 14, 2006
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Look, it's not a matter of agreement, you're talking about something else entirely. And no insult would have been given if you didn't go with the sarcastic 'sorry you can't grasp it' bull shit to begin with. So don't go playing the victim.

8. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Okay, so has Olsen mentioned wether Rooney will start or not?

I assume he will come off the bench for Acosta, and Acosta will be pissed.

Is it me or did the ticket prices surprise you? I didnt expected them to be 10-20 for good seats like in RFK, but I saw 80 sitting behind the goal? Thats laughable.

NicktheGreek repped this.
  9. PSURoss

PSURoss Member+

Sep 30, 2002
    DC Burbs
    He's played with the starters the last couple days in practice. I think you start him until he can't go, in say the 60th minute or so.

benni... repped this.
  10. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which previous starter did he replace?

11. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    In Etchy's first 2-3 games, he lasted only 60-65 minutes

If Acosta starts, then he's in for Stieber. When Stieber comes on, the dynamic changes considerably.

12. Eastern Bear

Eastern Bear Member+

Feb 27, 1999
    Great Falls, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Longer term You could go with 5-3-2 if Stieber could play as a wingback (and I think he could). Maybe the next acquisition is a center back with good passing skills. This puts additional defensive pressure on Asad and Stieber. I think a stopper role in a 3 man back line is perfect for Durkin — who I really like — but doesn’t really fit Stieber. Asad could do it if he were more consistent in his defense.

For tomorrow I’m sure Rooney takes the field at minute 60. Either Mattocks or Acosta.

——————Ousted
    —— Brilliant—Durkin—Birnbaum
    Stieber———————————Asad
    ———Canouse—Acosta—Arriola
    ————Rooney—Mattocks

13. PSURoss

PSURoss Member+

Sep 30, 2002
    DC Burbs
    Don’t know but one of the reporters tweeted about him playing with the starters early in the week.

14. Eastern Bear

Eastern Bear Member+

Feb 27, 1999
    Great Falls, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Quoting myself to clarify that Stieber and Asad aren’t perfect wingbacks but play like Brazilian wingbacks in this model where offense is first but defense is still important. It could read that they are considered in the stopper spot of a 5-3-2. This is differant from Novak’s 3-5-2 in that the wingbacks sit much further back on defense and launch forward aggressively in the attack. Lots of running.

15. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    I hope he's not passing too fast or hard for them.

16. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    Who gets more screwed by the presence of Wayne Rooney rolling his walker around the field and taking occasional penalty kicks? Steiber, Mattocks, or Acosta?

17. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    If you don't think Rooney can do something in MLS, you have a really over inflated perception of the level in MLS. Especially MLS defending. They said the same thing about Schweinsteiger who hadn't played in over a year, and he walked right into an MLS starting lineup and looked like one of the most competent players on his team. I mean even Lampard, when he did show up eventually, scored like 8 goals in 8 games at 38.

And, I say this as someone who doesn't like the Rooney signing. My problem with Rooney is more big picture. He doesn't move the needle for me at all as a sustainable solution to our problems. But in the near future, I'd be shocked if he doesn't get a bunch of goals and assists in the next 18 months or so. As long as he stays relatively healthy, which of course is always a gamble with any player. But as far as 32 year old players go, Rooney is probably as safe of a bet as you're going to find. He has yet to have a serious long term injury (your move Northeast ... )

Tywin Lannister and ImNumberTen repped this.
  18. shammypants

shammypants Member+

Oct 9, 2013
    Club:
    DC United
    Yea, MLS is straight mediocre. The intelligence of defenders in particular is very low, and quick passing sequences like we saw tonight just stun them like deer in headlights. Rooney isn't that fast but his mind and ability to just one tap a received pass to an outlet are vastly superior to his opponents in this league.

Boloni86 repped this.
  19. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    One or 2 of his longer passes looked like Metro on strike, they need to talk to the grounds crew about cutting the turf so the ball will play more suitably to take advantage of his skills. I'm impressed but he's a truffle amid a can of walmart mushrooms so he should look way better. He did seem to inspire the usual suspects when he stepped on.

20. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Field was fine, but over watered near the sprinklers. I see that at a lot of new venues.

Tywin Lannister, asitis and Heist repped this.
  21. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    Ball was making a rooster tail as it moved across the pitch at times.

Winoman repped this.
  22. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    I must say I did have a feeling that the offense overachieved on the long road trip. I had to ask myself, if they can do that on the road, surely they could do even better at home. If you would have told me in January what kind of numbers our attackers would have at this point, I wouldn't have believed you.

Arriola 4 goals - 6 assists
    Acosta 1 goal - 8 assists
    Stieber 3 goals - 6 assists
    Asad 8 goals - 3 assists
    Mattocks 8 goals - 0 assists

Not bad. And now you add Rooney to the mix. Normally in soccer you're happy to have 4 threats who can score/assist consistently. We may actually have 5.

Now if we can just make one more mid season move to shore up the defense. And I still worry a lot about our coaching. Lots more talent than previous seasons, but I still see a problem with the team executing the mental basics. Hopefully Rooney can fill in the void and be sort of an assistant coach on the field.

23. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You could see that on TV.

NicktheGreek repped this.
  24. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    No it wasn't fine it played slow and TV shots showed a very uneven surface cut rather high, Similar shots of the turf at wc venues looked like billiard tables.

Winoman, benni..., Dizi and 1 other person repped this.
  25. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    Sigh

Thx,

Jay!