News: A Long, Strange Trip - 2018 DCU Season Thread

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by morrissey, Feb 21, 2018.

1. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Expand on this, please.

2. Adler

Adler Member+

Aug 20, 2003
    das Schloss Adler
    Club:
    DC United
    Landicakes vis-a-vis the Mexican National Team, perhaps?

PSURoss repped this.
  3. Murrdcu

Murrdcu Member

DC United
    United States
    Apr 25, 2017
    I agree the Brilliant & Birnbaum pairing is suboptimal and the rest of the back line could improve, but if Mattocks goes down, there are no current options signed that have produced this year. Signing Rooney and that rumored young South American DP provide us options and weapons off the bench.

If we want to win MLS Cup, blow up the defense and rebuild that portion of the roster like we did last summer.

DCUSA repped this.
  4. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    Except obviously Retirement Rooney will start every game and fade by the 5th minute of warmups and Mattocks will be sitting on the bench until the 60th. Mattocks' untimely success this season will make the Rooney signing look even more catastrophic.

PSURoss repped this.
  5. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Wasn't Brilliant supposed to be a calming veteran presence in the back. So far he has been pretty much a shit show, same as this FO.

fatbastard and big spaniel repped this.
  6. big spaniel

big spaniel Member

Nov 18, 1999
    Arlington, Virginia
    Brilliant seems very unsure of himself, and sometimes has a deer-in-the-headlights look to him.

Boloni86 repped this.
  7. dcchelseafc

dcchelseafc Moderator
    Staff Member

DC United
    Sep 2, 2005
    Naptown
    Club:
    DC United
    anyone see anything about Rooney lately? it is way way too quiet. If he was still thinking about signing, or is going to, there would be way more discussions over in Europe and they have pretty much died....

8. asitis

asitis Member+

Mar 30, 2005
    Charlottesville
    Is there anything else going on that could distract the European journos from the big Rooney to DCU story?;)

asitis

ElApacheTevez, sitruc, Winoman and 4 others repped this.
  9. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Watching Mattocks run his ass off at the 'Plex last night made me wonder (again) about the wisdom of the Rooney deal. Rooney would be puking on the sideline by minute 30. If we get him, he should be slotted behind the designated rabbit, such as Mattocks.

Winoman repped this.
  10. PSURoss

PSURoss Member+

Sep 30, 2002
    DC Burbs
    Goff tweeted the other day that it was still moving along and was gonna happen. My guess is that we can't get that lucky. The real shame is that he's not with the team now, training, getting familiar, getting his fitness level back up. Instead he'll show up after July 4th, a couple pounds over weight and wilt like a daisy in the DC summer heat.

sitruc and dcchelseafc repped this.
  11. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    The world cup may be a distraction that bumps transfer news of washed up Brits to last place teams to the bottom of the que.
    It's vacation time why show up early to your paid retirement gig?
    Like the guy on death row he might be waiting for that 11th hour reprieve from the Chinese league.

Winoman and griffin1108 repped this.
  12. Q*bert Jones III

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    Well, surely if Rooney is worth so much money, he's starring for a mediocre England team at the World Cup, right?

greatscott, Winoman and John L repped this.
  13. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe they'd be more than mediocre if he was ;)

Winoman and Funkfoot repped this.
  14. DCUSA

DCUSA Member+

Jan 14, 2006
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Goff reported 6 days ago he has agreed to a contract, now it's down to a transfer fee agreement. Rooney was recently in Belfast, securing his US work visa. Goff said he should be expected to show around July 1.
    Can't wait to see the back tracking on all these dopey Rooney takes, not meaning you. He's 32, not 80, his fitness level will surely be comparable if not better than anyone on this team, once he shakes off the summer break.

15. ejs1111

ejs1111 Member

Aston Villa | DC United
    Mar 1, 2018
    Maryland, USA
    Agreed. Even a 'mediocre' Rooney is still 2x the footy player than anyone on this DCU roster. This coming from a Villa fan who despised Rooney. But when he puts on the B&R I'll root for him.

Winoman and John L repped this.
  16. PSURoss

PSURoss Member+

Sep 30, 2002
    DC Burbs
    That was the point of my post. If he's going to show up here a week before the first game, he's going to be in no place to contribute heavily. He'll be 2 months removed from a competitive game, 2 months removed from any kind of organized team training. Not that real pro doesn't stay in shape, but there's a reason teams have a preseason schedule and training regimen. And even then, guys take a couple weeks to really achieve match fitness. Even if you think Rooney is a spectacular idea for DCU, you have to agree that not getting him signed and over here training with the team ASAP is a mistake. While the transfer window doesn't open for a couple weeks, he could still be training with the team.

17. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    can he? What are the labor rules? I thought there was still a window where you couldn't train too early before a window opened, maybe that was an older rule. How would the team's insurer deal with an injury during said time?
    I mean, it sounds all good and rah-rah, but how realistic is your wish? Might all be legit, but I doubt it.

18. PSURoss

PSURoss Member+

Sep 30, 2002
    DC Burbs
    I've heard multiple times through various media channels that he can workout with the team before the transfer window opens, but only becomes eligible to play after it opens.

sitruc, Winoman and fatbastard repped this.
  19. shammypants

shammypants Member+

Oct 9, 2013
    Club:
    DC United
    I hope Rooney never trains with the team, ever, and I mean that very seriously.

20. ejs1111

ejs1111 Member

Aston Villa | DC United
    Mar 1, 2018
    Maryland, USA
    so... tell us how you really feel then. ;)

21. shammypants

shammypants Member+

Oct 9, 2013
    Club:
    DC United
    I mean I hope he plays for the club but we should just let him go out and do whatever, he won’t gain a single thing of value by practicing with the team.

DCUSA repped this.
  22. Q*bert Jones III

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    That's the kind of expert commentary we all come here for.

23. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    If you grade on a curve Argentina made everyone else look stellar today so yeah, could be

24. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Horta is training with LAFC. I think training is allowed but registration after 7/1.

fatbastard, sitruc and Winoman repped this.