A Little Help for a transplant - US vs. GHANA VIEWING

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by Calexico77, Jun 24, 2010.

1. Calexico77

Calexico77 Member

Sep 19, 2003
    Mid-City LA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hi Everyone,

Like the fabled Green Sea Turtles, I am following my instincts back to the place of my birth this weekend - West Warwick, RI. It's my Grandpa's 90th and my whole family is throwing a party this weekend.

Is there a preferred destination for the Ghana game this weekend anywhere in RI? Any help would be appreciated.

2. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Member+

Apr 25, 2000
    SE Mass
    You could try:
    1) Campino's Restaurant & Sports Bar. 218 Warren Avenue
    2) Ri Ra 50 Exchange Ter Providence, RI 02903 (401) 272-1953

If Campino's is the place I'm thinking of, it's comfortable, the Portuguese food is good, but the TV is small (for a sports bar.)

I went to Ri Ra for USA-Czech Republic 4 years ago. It was OK. Maybe they've upgraded the TVs since then. They'll certainly have the game on.

There's a place more local to you:
    Henry's Sports Bar in West Warwick, RI 02893 - (401) 615-3477
    but I've never been there.

3. shanary

shanary Member

Aug 18, 2008
    BOSTON
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Search out AO Rhode Island I am sure they have something in the works.

4. bwidell

bwidell Member+

Apr 19, 2005
    Manchester, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. DanishDuke

DanishDuke Member

Apr 5, 2006
    Cumberland RI
  6. Joeyfitzclick

Joeyfitzclick Member

Jun 9, 2008
    Newport RI
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    There will be 15-20 of us in Mudville Pub, in Newport RI, about 25 minutes drive.

7. Calexico77

Calexico77 Member

Sep 19, 2003
    Mid-City LA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks to all of you. You've been great helps. Once I get situated, I'll see if my cousins have any opinions (I don't think any of them have been following, but their friends are largely Portuguese and Italian, so I don't know if they've jumped ship to the US yet).

Thanks to you all!

-Adam

8. tpd89

tpd89 New Member

Jul 16, 2008
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Come to Spats on the East Side, great location in the heart of the trendy yet historic Thayer Street, as well as home to tons of passionate and knowledgeable fans. If you head to a Portuguese or Italian club they'll probably give you funny looks and possibly have dubious skills in English (or pretend they do as they refuse to watch the US game). Spats is the place to be.

9. BrianLBI

BrianLBI BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 7, 2002
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Speaking of Ghana, I assume the usual suspects will gather at the Nashua Garden?

10. RevRider

RevRider Member

May 12, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Speaking of viewings, I was able to get to CBS Scene for the Algeria match. It was a good time but far from a raucus crowd but I just couldn't get into Boston that early which is where I wanted to view it. Anyway I want to try to catch the Ghana match at the Banshee, what time should I get there. Prime seating isn't really an issue for me but for the England game me and a buddy ended up getting left outside due to the large crowd there (probably our fault but because of work we were only able to make it there 15 mins before kickoff). So basically what time should I get there to ensure I at least get a spot at The Banshee?

11. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Probably a couple hours early to be safe, especially on a Saturday. The line will be out the door and down the street.

12. GOREVS3000

GOREVS3000 Moderator
    Staff Member

New England Revolution
    United States
    Sep 18, 2006
    Boston
    Club:
    2 de Mayo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    RSVP for the AO Boston viewing parties at the Phoenix Landing and Banshee Boston. These places have been good to us since the early qualifiers

REMEMBER TO GET TO THE BARS EARLY BECAUSE THESE VENUES WILL FILL UP VERY EARLY.

We're hosting viewing parties for all the USA World Cup games at both of our bars for the duration of our World cup run.

We encourage you to go to these two bars specifically because they have been amazing to us throughout the World Cup qualifying process when nobody else would.

Banshee Pub
    934 Dorchester Ave
    Dorchester, MA
    (617) 436-9747
    www.bansheeboston.com
    (They will have some of the games in 3-D so stay tuned for details and plenty of on street parking. Short walk from the JFK/UMASS Stop on the Red Line)

Phoenix Landing
    512 Massachusetts Ave
    Cambridge, MA 02139-4029
    (617) 576-6260
    (Easy access to the T in Central Square, plenty of metered parking and public lots.)

Bring flags, red, white, and blue streamers, and of course your USA Gear. We'll have new AO Boston shirts available at both bars too.

Taylor Twellman will be at The Banshee bar signing autographs for all supporters during the game

REMEMBER TO GET TO THE BARS EARLY BECAUSE THESE VENUES WILL FILL UP VERY EARLY.

13. Soc4Us

Soc4Us Member

Jun 11, 2004
    Dunstable, MA
    I haven't gone there yet, but will probably be going today. Has it been a pretty good atmospheres?

14. BrianLBI

BrianLBI BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 7, 2002
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh yeah. Good crowd if not exactly overflowing.

15. ngower

ngower foolish grin

May 24, 2006
    Nashua, NH
    I'll be heading down to the Garden as well and I spread the word (albeit late) through the AONH outlets.