A-League Salary Cap

Discussion in 'Australian A-League' started by el-capitano, Dec 19, 2016.

?

Should the A-League retain the salary cap?

1. Yes

71.4%
  2. No

28.6%
  1. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Should we retain it, or is the league at a stage now where we can afford to drop it?

http://www.news.com.au/sport/footba...8/news-story/9f582067bd4499e016e3e3396d031b2c

2. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    For me, I love the fact that it makes it an even playing field. You just won't have those big 2-3 clubs playing for most of the honours every year. We've had 6 out of the 10 teams become champions, and that is down to the cap, and getting the most out of your teams, rather than buying your way to a title.

Yoshou repped this.
  3. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm a little leery of lifting the cap in A-league, if only because the disparity between what a team like the Victory can afford and what a smaller club like the Phoenix can afford is pretty large. I'd be concerned that the smaller clubs would be relegated to second tier status in fairly short order and those clubs are already on fairly shaky ground. I get that the cap is just notional with the exceptions, but overall, the middle of the rosters are being kept relatively close together in pay and quality. Remove the cap and the big clubs will start to suck away the better players in the league and they'll have a pretty clear advantage over the rest of the league.

TheJoeGreene and el-capitano repped this.
  4. TheJoeGreene

TheJoeGreene Member+

Aug 19, 2012
    The Lubbock Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    They're nowhere near dropping the salary cap. Give it a few more decades, at least, for the league to mean enough overall that it doesn't have to rely on keeping things equal.

5. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    If you want regional teams then you need a cap.

6. theFOOTBALLlover

FC Porto, SC Freamunde & Fraser Park FC
    Jan 17, 2015
    Sydney
    It would make things a lot easier if there was no cap and clubs were allowed to spend what they want. I'd personally prefer a cap but relevant to what each club earns so instead of punishing the Victory, they should be rewarded for being successful and making a profit.

7. La Trucha

La Trucha Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 16, 2009
    42 Wallaby Way, Sydney
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
  8. theFOOTBALLlover

Jan 17, 2015
    Sydney
    La Trucha repped this.
  9. La Trucha

La Trucha Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 16, 2009
    42 Wallaby Way, Sydney
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Ironic, indeed, but I quite like Fornaroli.

10. TheSelectFew

TheSelectFew Member

Dec 21, 2016
    Rid of it. Also fornorolli can do himself the arrogant prick.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

11. TheSelectFew

TheSelectFew Member

Dec 21, 2016
    We need promotion relegation bad. It is clear the FFA cant be bothered even expanding.

theFOOTBALLlover repped this.
  12. TheJoeGreene

TheJoeGreene Member+

Aug 19, 2012
    The Lubbock Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Looks like the A-league has finally really made it on BigSoccer. You've finally got a clueless, delusional type pushing traditional nonsense like pro/rel in a league that doesn't need it/can't support it right now and likely never will.

artml and La Trucha repped this.
  13. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not sure about never.. Doesn't AFC include it in the point totals they use to determine the number of teams a country gets in the AFC CL? If my memory isn't faulty, that could become a driver to implement pro/rel if A-League teams start to take more interest in the competition.

14. theFOOTBALLlover

Jan 17, 2015
    Sydney
    The thing with promotional and relegation is that if a club goes bankrupt cause of mismanagement, it isn't a big deal because they can get replaced by a team below. We should be giving teams an opportunity to prove themselves in the top flight. It is called survival of the fittest.

This sort of reminds me of politics. Western countries have fought against communism for decades but our league is a football equivalent of communism. What happened to democracy and an open market?

15. theFOOTBALLlover

Jan 17, 2015
    Sydney
    Don't worry, I've been looking for a Fornaroli jersey to buy for a while. Huge fan.

La Trucha repped this.
  16. La Trucha

La Trucha Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 16, 2009
    42 Wallaby Way, Sydney
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    How on earth would pro/rel work if the NPL clubs not named South Melbourne don't have the money, fans and infrastructure to play in the A-League?

Besides, talk of pro/rel is impossible until 2034 when the HAL club licences expire. That doesn't mean NPL clubs and new bids can't start working now to build up their teams, mind you.

You're kidding. Expansion will happen in 2018/19. In February, they will release a criteria a bid will need to satisfy in order to join HAL. On the top of my head I can think of 14 bids proposed since the 2016/17 season began; two of them being serious bids.

TheJoeGreene repped this.
  17. theFOOTBALLlover

Jan 17, 2015
    Sydney
    Why would NPL clubs have a big supporter base when they don't have an opportunity to play at the highest level in Australia?

Every A-league club started from zero and have all built a supporter base. Why? Because people want to see the best.

Look at the crowd figures of RB Leipzig in Germany as the progressed up the football period. A club that didn't exist 5-6 years ago.

[​IMG]

How do you explain the crowds for NPL finals? I think Sydney United vs Blacktown had over 4000 people in the final hosted in the inner west despite both teams being from the west.

The NPL final in Victoria pulled a bigger crowd.

I would rather go watch my local team play then travel an hour to go watch Sydney FC. The problem is that my local team doesn't have the opportunity to play at a higher level.

18. La Trucha

La Trucha Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 16, 2009
    42 Wallaby Way, Sydney
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Not just supporters, but money and a up-to-standard stadium are also imperative. Can't really compare to German clubs. Football is a lot more popular in Germany than here.

Btw which region of Sydney do you live in (if you don't mind me asking)?

19. theFOOTBALLlover

Jan 17, 2015
    Sydney
    No A-league club owns their own stadium so to me that is an irrelevant argument. What's stopping APIA from winning promotion to the A-league and playing out at Leichhardt Oval instead of Lambert Park? There are stadiums all over the place in Australia.

I've lived my whole life in the Inner West (Marrickville, Dulwich Hill, Canterbury, Campsie and a short period in Bankstown) but I've just moved out to Parramatta. I'm about 5-10 minutes drive from Pirtek Stadium.

el-capitano repped this.
  20. La Trucha

La Trucha Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 16, 2009
    42 Wallaby Way, Sydney
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    They each have their own individual stadiums to play in, aside from MVFC and MCFC who share AAMI Park.

APIA could play at Leichhardt Oval but ugh at playing in oval stadiums. What would stop them from playing in the HAL is money. If they don't have the money then they can't play. There was a Belgian club (I forgot the name) a few years ago who got promoted but did not want to join the first division because they didn't have the money to afford being able to do so.

21. TheSelectFew

TheSelectFew Member

Dec 21, 2016
    Does your franchise need a safe space to stop it going under?

Thats a bit pathetic.

22. TheSelectFew

TheSelectFew Member

Dec 21, 2016
    They get relegated.

23. theFOOTBALLlover

Jan 17, 2015
    Sydney
    Leichhardt Oval isn't actually an oval.
    [​IMG]

A-league clubs don't have money either.. most clubs bar Victory (and now City) are running at a loss.

What you've suggested about a Belgian team could apply here.. if clubs don't meet a criteria or financial criteria, they can say no to being promoted. Having a criteria (and nations like Germany have a criteria) will ensure that the club facilities and finances are appropriate to the A-league level. For me stadiums is an easy issue to solve. As I've said, clubs can always hire out stadiums if there's doesn't meet the criteria and they don't want to fix it.

24. TheSelectFew

TheSelectFew Member

Dec 21, 2016
    So maybe thats red light flashing if 80-90% of the clubs are running a loss. Clubs like South Melbourne, Melbourne Knights, Sydney United all survived the big bad days of the scary NSL with and without promotion relegation. How about we analyse our set up and cost analysis and our hiting of ridiculously oversized venues.

25. TheJoeGreene

TheJoeGreene Member+

Aug 19, 2012
    The Lubbock Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    You couldn't possibly pick a worse example. You do know what the RB stands for, right?