NSR: A gun on Every Corner: Discuss the NRA, Gun Ownership and All Those Non-Mass Shootings..

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by dapip, Feb 20, 2015.

Tags:
?

Do we need more strict gun laws?

1. Repeal the second baby!

54 vote(s)
    51.4%
  2. We need better mental healthcare..

38 vote(s)
    36.2%
  3. A discussion on the topic would be interesting..

29 vote(s)
    27.6%
  4. That's Liberul talk for them to take may gunz!

7 vote(s)
    6.7%
  5. You can pry my gun from my cold dead hands..

15 vote(s)
    14.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    It's almost like he's a troll or something.

fatbastard repped this.
  2. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    Easy... reduce the pay of teachers who don't carry.

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  3. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Put that cell phone away and pay attention.

No!

POW!!!

POW!!!

Cascarino's Pizzeria repped this.
  4. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Why anyone would be a teacher in this day and age is beyond me.
    No respect from the community or the kids. And lousy pay.
    I do have to say that those kids in Florida
    Have a lot going for them

Having said that my daughter is one of those dedicated professionals!
    Her and her husband had to go overseas to get a job that paid and a community that supported them. As well as kids who want to learn.

5. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Higher property taxes I assume, local governments are who pay teachers.

This arming teachers will happen at state levels, not likely at Federal level.

6. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    In the blue states, at least, the wealthiest school districts are the unlikeliest to arm teachers. There isn't much gun culture in the white-collar burbs, and even less in the gentrified sections of the cities.

Cascarino's Pizzeria repped this.
  7. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That’s kinda my point.. local property taxes already don’t raise enough funds to properly pay for schools..

8. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well for a school shootout to make the news, it needs to happen in white suburbia America, 17 children shot dead in the south side of Chicago would not interest CNN. It would not even make this thread.

9. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    At one time? It certainly would. In 17 different schools, over a month? Not a peep.

ceezmad repped this.
  10. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nonsense. 17 children getting shot AT SCHOOL in one sitting would make news anywhere in the US. You can argue how much some segments of the population would care if it were to happen in southside Chicago, but saying that it would not interest CNN is talking point #1 for the fake news screamers on the right.

11. roby

roby Member+

SIRLOIN SALOON FC, PITTSFIELD MA
    Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    HOW U.S. STUDENTS COMPARE INTERNATIONALLY:

According to the Program for International Student Assessment (PISA), out of 34 countries, the U.S. ranks:

• 27th in math
    • 17th in reading
    • 20th in science
    The U.S. spends more per student than other countries on education, but that spending does not translate into better performance [2012] :eek:

usscouse repped this.
  12. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    And as I post on local mssg boards to counteract the 2A mouthbreathers "when's the last time we've had a school massacre in NJ?" Stricter gun laws generally means less of this bullshit. Even in Newtown IIRC, the mother was a gunnut import from NH.

13. diablodelsol

diablodelsol Member+

Jan 10, 2001
    New Jersey
    I don’t own a high powered semi automatic rifle, unless we want to count my 10/22. I do own several semi automatic shot guns. All can hold 5 shells.

Were any of these to suddenly become illegal to own, I’d have two options.

1)immediately turn them in (the option I would choose...as would 99% of all gun owners....even those that wouldn’t admit to it right now)

2). Keep them. Hide them. And never use them.

If I chose option 2....I would be risking going to jail, and losing the ability to own any of my other firearms....for something that is of zero use to me. I would risk going to jail if my house burned down and they were found in the wreckage. I’d risk going to jail if my house was broken into and the police came to fill out a report. I’d risk going to jail if anyone I know, that happens to also know I owned those firearms....reported me to the police.

The cold dead hands crowd are 99% bluster. When they the potential consequences become realistic, they’d comply.

But the criminals would still have them!

Let’s get serious....what percentage of armed robberies do you really think an AR is the weapon of choice. They use something small and concealable.

I’ve had this discussion with friends I know own sa rifles. Not one of them, when I lay out the above, has ever said they’d risk going to jail over keeping one. They would fight like hell to avoid having them made illegal....but they’d give them up when it comes to it.

Most self defensers, 2nd snowflakes as my wife likesto call them,are....at their heart...paranoid little pussies with delusions of grandeur. That’s why they’re armed in the first place. Like most pussies....they’d fold immediately when rhetoric turns into reality.

14. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    The 10/22 was never designed as the M16/M4 and the "civilian version" AR15s were. Strictly as people killing machines.
    There was no other thought on their minds when it was developed.

diablodelsol repped this.
  15. Sudžuka

Sudžuka Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Teachers have to buy their own school supplies, meanwhile here is a government used glock. Very normal country.

Auriaprottu, onefineesq and Dr. Wankler repped this.
  16. Sudžuka

Sudžuka Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Better educated people tend to vote left, its all part of their grand scheme.

17. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    It was interesting to see the NRA and Rubio deliberately mislead on this point.

For instance back home our family has several "semi-auto rifles" - they are .22s for hunting rabbits!

Of course it is possible for hunting rilfes to be more powerful than guns like the AR15 - or less powerful, depending on what you are using them for.

But this is really all BS once you look at solutions that have worked in other countries

In NZ we didn't ban anything - for precisely these kind of reasons. Instead weapons like this are highly regulated and licensing is super strict. Net result, the only people who will be bothered to own them will be enthusiastic hunters, range shooters or collectors. You get a higher class of owner and a better industry culture - just like with any form of licensing and regulation.

There really is no need to try to delineate between sporting and consumerised "assault rifles" - it's a straw man

Exactly

This is precisely why my dad supported tight regulation - because the net result is it restricts these weapons only to people like him and all the muppets don't have them.

taosjohn and fatbastard repped this.
  18. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Agreed

If you watch any of those NRA TV shows, they are actually inciting civil unrest

19. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    One could say a Stable Genius country.

20. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    So Trump was just trolling those shooting survivors, right?

21. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    This is absurd

Is it really a deputys job to go up against an unknown shooter or shooters without backup? Even the police themselves don't do that.

It's a man with a job. Yes a job with danger - but it can't be the expectation that you risk getting yourself killed?

Q*bert Jones III repped this.
  22. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that mounting public pressure for full divestment makes a ton on sense:

https://www.wnyc.org/story/should-c...-68686757&mc_cid=b84fe33641&mc_eid=e2272c3c24

Feb 23, 2018
    In the aftermath of the deadly Parkland, Florida, school shooting last week, the question is being asked again: What can be done to prevent these attacks from happening? Students have been lobbying lawmakers in Tallahassee and meeting with the president to push for gun control, especially for the assault weapons used in so many recent mass shootings. But is there another route to change in gun laws, not through legislators, but through CEOs and shareholders?

24. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe current training for active shooters is that police do not wait for backup. Obviously training does not always represent reality, but the answer to your question is yes..

25. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Interesting

Yet the deputy's actions are not unusual if you look at previous incidents. Hell look at vegas.

Whatever the duties, i think it is highly unrealistic to think state employees are going to go full rambo