NSR: A gun on Every Corner: Discuss the NRA, Gun Ownership and All Those Non-Mass Shootings..

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by dapip, Feb 20, 2015.

Tags:
?

Do we need more strict gun laws?

1. Repeal the second baby!

54 vote(s)
    51.4%
  2. We need better mental healthcare..

38 vote(s)
    36.2%
  3. A discussion on the topic would be interesting..

29 vote(s)
    27.6%
  4. That's Liberul talk for them to take may gunz!

7 vote(s)
    6.7%
  5. You can pry my gun from my cold dead hands..

15 vote(s)
    14.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. VincitOmniaVeritas

Jul 18, 2015
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    According to the FBI's UCR, in 2012 Maryland had 398 total murders, 272 were by firearm, 75 were knives or cutting tools and 34 by "other" weapons. Only two were by rifle, and it doesn't make clear whether or not it is a "assault rifle".

In 2014 there were 309 total homicides, 208 by firearm, 67 with a knife or cutting tool and 20 by "other" weapons. Only one of the firearm deaths was linked to a rifle.

I doubt this legislation will have much of an impact on gun violence in Maryland. Time spent improving background checks and mental healthcare options will be more effective in limiting gun violence than banning weapons based on aesthetic features. A folding stock, a flash hider, mag release or a mount for grenade launcher does not make the weapon an assault rifle. Limiting and/or banning high capacity magazine would make more sense (they have already done that).

ceezmad and rslfanboy repped this.
  2. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Xenofobia, ignorance, guns and entitlement mix. Care to guess the results?

http://bzfd.it/2mfjPHd

The two men initially shot were not Middle Eastern. Srinivas Kuchibhotla, who was killed, was originally from India and had received a master's degree at the University of Texas. He and Alok Madasani, who was injured, worked in the aviation systems division at GPS-navigation maker Garmin, which has a facility in Olathe.

/quote

3. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Muslim, Indian, Mexicans to Trump fans we are all the same.

4. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    To paraphrase a tweet I read last week, the HS drop out Kansas native was upset that Masters of Engineering Kuchibotla took his job.

soccernutter and American Brummie repped this.
  5. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    Largely agreed. But banning those assault rifles is easy and relatively cheap, and makes for a good headline. Improving and enforcing background checks (and wait times) as well as improving mental healthcare are vastly more difficult, and the pay-off is not as immediate.

It's pretty clear, at least to me, that more-easily-concealable hand guns are the most-used firearm for homicide/suicide/attempted murder, etc... They are a holy grail in this country, but any serious policy to curb gun violence should primarily focus on hand guns and not rifles/shot guns.

ceezmad, dapip and diablodelsol repped this.
  6. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Doncha just love the irony in all this?
    Arkansas votes for open gun carry in public places. So for " safeties sake", to protect the public... From themselves... It just seems like a great idea to deploy shooters in the crowds at football games.
    Has the world gone totally f*cking crazy...???!!!

Sniper teams should be deployed at University of Arkansas football games, says lawmker

Arkansas Republic Charlie Collins said: 'count on it' when asked about the possibility of snipers at the University of Arkansas's Razorback Stadium.

Full Story:
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4372216/Arkansas-Republican-comments-Razorbacks.html

7. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Count on it. Because, you know, in the 150 years of college football, snipers at games has been an ongoing problem.

You gotta wonder about these people. Is this their fear ... or fantasy?

8. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    To these people, the possibility of being killed by a muslim terrorist feels very very real. Being killed by (or kill a) relative it is something "unlikely" and totally worth the risk of exercising their freedoms.

9. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Perhaps. To me, the possibility that they are fantasizing about having that shooter's power is equally real. They imagine the story. They buy the gun magazines. They buy the guns, and admire them, and touch them. It doesn't take much work to connect those dots.

Well, no worries. Those sorts have been around a long while now, and they haven't sniped at any more football games than have the Muslims that they fear. Now, I would bet on them to be the first to break that streak, but happily that is still an unlikely possibility.

dapip and russ repped this.
  10. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I don't think they're mutually exclusive. I mean, if the possibly feels real, some of them will fantasize about it, about their gunz, their moves, the carnage and being the hero and being able to show sissy liberuls what real 'muricans are made off. But we already know that...

11. raza_rebel

raza_rebel Member+

Dec 11, 2000
    Club:
    Univ de Chile
  12. VincitOmniaVeritas

Jul 18, 2015
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    raza_rebel and Dr. Wankler repped this.
  13. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's possibly a five year old child 's definition of an accident.
    SOURCE : Parent of a five year old.

Dr. Wankler, dapip and taosjohn repped this.
  14. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Time out in Chicago. Take the dog for a walk son. No way.....Bam!!!

Dad kills son in gunfight over dog-walk
    A Chicago man fatally shot his 22-year-old son after an argument over who would walk the dog erupted into a gunfight between them, say police.

The two suffered multiple gunshot wounds in a shootout over exercising the family pet, police said.

Read more:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-39556824

15. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Looks like people have given up trying to sort this mess out. It's never ending as more and more guns are being sold and laws are "relaxed" to let almost anyone buy weapons.
    This guy didn't want to go through the slight paperwork hassle or to spend his hard earned money to get his. But he does appreciate the constitution.

FBI most wanted gun store robber is on the run with M-16 - and wrote to owner he stole arsenal from to THANK him for upholding the second amendment

A newly filed police complaint seen by DailyMail.com documents the extraordinary act and lays bare the full horror of Jakubowski’s arsenal.

Full Story:
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4403784/FBI-wanted-gun-store-robber-run-M-16.html

soccernutter repped this.
  16. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And lets not forget:

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-san-bernardino-gunman-20170410-story.html

Police say Anderson, 53, had previous domestic violence allegations against him, but it’s unclear what Smith experienced. Her mother said it was enough to break up with him and pursue divorce.

On Monday, the tumult of their brief marriage burst into a San Bernardino elementary school. Anderson walked into Smith’s special-needs classroom and opened fire, fatally wounding her before turning the gun on himself, police said. One of Smith’s students, an 8-year-old boy, was also struck by the gunfire and died. A second child was injured.

The violence has devastated Smith’s friends, family and colleagues. It has also exposed a troubled relationship between Anderson and Smith — two people with very different pasts who had once seemed so in love.

“She thought she had a wonderful husband, but she found out he was not wonderful at all,” said Smith’s mother, Irma Sykes. “He had other motives. She left him and that’s where the trouble began."

17. phedre44

phedre44 Member

SKC
    Apr 1, 2008
    Kansas
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To anyone who's ever asked why a woman didn't leave her abusive partner....this. This is why. We are never more at risk of being murdered than when ending a relationship with a man.

My roommate is having the this-isn't-going-anywhere talk tonight with a guy she's been seeing for a couple of months now. He owns a gun, and I'm definitely more nervous for her than I have been for any of the other guys she's parted ways with. I'm also glad she's never brought him to my house, so he doesn't know where we live...

soccernutter, russ, Belgian guy and 4 others repped this.
  18. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Per Wiki, the neighborhood this occurred in, Burnside, is one of 77 official community neighborhoods. It allegedly has only 2,900 people. Strange math, that.

19. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    2,899 now.

20. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sure not the most un-bias source, but lets assume their stats are correct (if someone has different stats please post).

http://nationalinterest.org/blog/th...dcs-handgun-ban-had-no-effect-homicides-20265

VincitOmniaVeritas repped this.
  21. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    Nonsense-- if people don't have a gun they'll use a knife. Suicide by box cutter went down is all...

23. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why would anyone do that shit when you have the sweet oblivion of death by Oxy?

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  24. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So here we have an American citizen defending and bragging about his 2nd amendment rights and how he will defend himself if he needs to, and the right wing media goes crazy.

http://dakotafreepress.com/tag/ehab-jaber/

Obviously the NY post will take his Facebook live video and edit the video out of context to make him sound scary.

But hate or like gun laws in the USA, if a white person can do it, so can this dude (his facebook is public).

[​IMG]