NSR: A gun on Every Corner: Discuss the NRA, Gun Ownership and All Those Non-Mass Shootings..

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by dapip, Feb 20, 2015.

Tags:
?

Do we need more strict gun laws?

1. Repeal the second baby!

54 vote(s)
    51.4%
  2. We need better mental healthcare..

38 vote(s)
    36.2%
  3. A discussion on the topic would be interesting..

29 vote(s)
    27.6%
  4. That's Liberul talk for them to take may gunz!

7 vote(s)
    6.7%
  5. You can pry my gun from my cold dead hands..

15 vote(s)
    14.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. ElasticNorseman

ElasticNorseman Member+

Apr 16, 2004
    Natick, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    By now they'd both be dust anyway. :p

2. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    That's your mischaracterization, not mine. If anything, dna sources them in Asia.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genetic_history_of_indigenous_peoples_of_the_Americas#/media/File:Haplogroup_Q_(Y-DNA).PNG
    Not most of those coming to the USA.
    At least one idiot on this board claims they're all descended from the indigenous population.
    Since they generally define themselves as latino, I will also.
    I'm not saying that. They are lumped in an ethnic minority category, for many reasons.
    Why do you think, that it does that?
    Of whose making? Blame those committing the violence, or someone else?
    Sooooooo much easier for you to simply blame "the whites"?

3. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    "Them?" Now you cite to a link about indigenous people in response to my post that as many as one-fifth of the Mexican population, 3/4 of the Puerto Rican population and 3/5 of the Cuban population are white. They are of European descent no different than you (I presume. I'm making a wild assumption that you are a white guy of Euro descent. My apologies if you are not).

"Those?" Exactly who are you talking about now? The brown Puerto Ricans? The dark skinned Cubans? Or are you limiting your screed to Mexicans. If that is the case (even though there are millions of other Hispanics in this country) then it would be nice if you cite to actual evidence instead of making a comment like this. Your credibility on this topic is kinda shot at the moment.

Oh, do "they?" Again, forgive me for not accepting you as a spokesperson for the Puerto Rican community.

The United States Census uses the ethnonym Hispanic or Latino to refer to "a person of Cuban, Mexican, Puerto Rican, South or Central American, or other Spanish culture or origin regardless of race."[13] The Census Bureau also explains that "[o]rigin can be viewed as the heritage, nationality group, lineage, or country of birth of the person or the person’s ancestors before their arrival in the United States. People who identify their origin as Hispanic, Latino, or Spanish may be of any race."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latino_(demonym)

They are identified in the census for many reasons, but racially identification is not one of them.

Because they keep all kinds of demographic information that can be used by marketers, political parties and any number of legitimate uses? The point is that "Hispanic" is not a designation of race. In a single census, you can be counted as White and Christian and college educated and a host of other things. A person can be both Hispanic and white, and in fact, millions of them in the US are exactly that. You were complaining that "Hispanics" were included in "white" in the statistics regarding whites killing blacks. One more time. With gusto. Are you suggesting that a Hispanic person cannot also be white?

I am for punishing those doing the violence. I'm also for studying why people commit violence and if there are common links. My guess is that killers who are white trend to poorer backgrounds and I would guess the same thing for blacks. I'm not concerned with their racial background as that doesn't make someone a killer. There are common threads when we look at people who commit violence. Race is a red herring. Do you have any facts that demonstrate that black families in Orange County or Westchester New York are more violent than white people in those same communities? Of course not. If you really gave a shit, you would look a lot deeper than skin.

Yes, that is exactly what I am doing. Blaming the whites again.

4. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    I stated, and repeat: not the ones coming to the USA.
    I clearly referred to Mexicans. You can't have missed that. Well, shouldn't have.
    If anything, you're the one whose panties are bunched.
    Yet, you reply. You're not enlightening much.
    I didn't claim that, but you seem to want to pick words. How many boricuas do you know?
    Ethnic certainly is.
    I'm simply noting that if 'hispanic' or 'latino' ethnics are separated from the 'white' category, the latter will have victim and offender rates closer to those of Canada & Europe.
    No. Are you suggesting that Mexicans or Puerto Ricans cannot be latino?
    What about gender? Age? Why have any categories at all?
    Well, you seem to not want to blame those committing the crimes.

5. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    You know, at some point, it would be a good idea to simply say something like, "wow. My world view has clearly been influenced from some biased and incorrect assumptions. I am glad to expand my knowledge of the unique tapestry of America." Instead, you just cling to ridiculous and racist assumptions. From the 2010 US Census:

White Hispanics by National Origin, 2010[10]
    Hispanic National Origin
    White population Percentage within group Inside its own population
    Mexican 16,794,111 63.0% 52.8%
    Puerto Rican 2,455,534 9.2% 53.1%
    Cuban 1,525,521 3.5% 86.2%
    Salvadoran 663,224 3.3% 40.2%
    Dominican 419,016 2.8% 29.6%
    Guatemalan 401,763 2.1% 38.5%
    South American 4,825,468 5.5% 65.9%
    All other Hispanics 2,018,397 6.8% 49.4%
    Total population 33,735,713 100% 53.0%

Okay, so the table didn't copy well, but the first number is the total number of white Hispanics in the US by country; the second number is the population percentage in the group (in other words 63% of all white Hispanics are Mexican) and the last number is the percentage of white respondents within the group. So, according to the US Census information from 2010, 52.8% of Mexican Americans are white. Go figure.

I assume you mean "white" panties. ;)

Because there are no Hispanics in Europe?

[​IMG]

6. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    You know, at some point, it would be a good idea for you to shut up, and stop trying to tell people what they should and should not believe. Somehow, I don't think that you will.
    I doubt that, in Chicago, your stated location, and it's certainly not the case in NJ. Must all be in TX & LA.
    On 9/11, I was attending a law enforcement conference, where some officious woman was pontificating that Portuguese & Spanish people are not latino, or hispanic, and shouldn't be identified as same. She was carrying on so much, that I got up & left, only to see news coverage of the World Trade center. So, I didn't give a ******** what she said then, and I don't give a ******** what you say now.

7. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    I'm not sure which is more notable here-- the irony of the first sentence or the non-sequitur of the last paragraph...:(

Jake-- you need help. Seriously.:cautious:

Auriaprottu and ElasticNorseman repped this.
  8. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    Think whatever you want cupcake. I have simply provided you with facts. Evidence. You are a lawyer, aren't you? This whole thing started when you suggested that the numbers look different if you remove "Hispanics" from the white category of some violence figures. I don't know if they were included or not. I don't know if they included white Hispanics with the white category or black Hispanics with the black category. I simply pointed out to you that it is incorrect, using the governments definition of "Hispanic" to remove them as if they are a different race. They are not. They are many races. At least that is the way that the US government sees it when they put together statistical analysis from the census. Again, since it seemed to escape you earlier when you tried in vain to make a distinction between Hispanic and Latino:
    People who identify their origin as Hispanic, Latino, or Spanish may be of any race."
    Of course, I very gently pointed out to you that there are many white Hispanics and used Argentina to make the point, simply because it has a huge white population after clearing out the native population in the 19th century. My friendly illustration was met with a snarky "google" comment, which is quite alright. That simply gives me carte blanche to turn up the snark as well. Your retort (apparently without looking at any facts, evidence, or "google") was to put me in my place by telling me that you are talking about Mexicans, as if there are no white Mexicans. I again responded with facts and evidence. Mexico has between 10-20% European white ancestry. They also have a large "mestiso" population with a subset of that group being from a mostly white ancestry. I also pointed out, using facts and evidence, that large Hispanic populations here in the US that are not Mexican come from countries that are a large majority white in Puerto Rico and Cuba. You respond with the unsupported, "not the Mexicans that come here." So, being the nice guy that I am, I did your homework for you and found US Census data that confirms that more than half of the Mexican Americans in the US identify as white. Despite your tantrum, I am absolutely not telling you or anyone else what to think. I'm providing you with actual facts and letting you fend for yourself.

Well, my guess is that you are wrong again, but I'm through doing your homework for you. I do know that a lot of Mexican Americans here in Chicago. There are over a million. Anecdotally, my friends and acquaintances fit the roughly 50% number from the US Census. I just looked at a team picture from my son's soccer team at a very recent tournament. There are six Mexican American kids on the team. Three are white and three are not. So, there you go. My experience is quite different from what you are suggesting. I do not hold myself out as having any knowledge about New Jersey. However, I doubt that all of the white Mexican Americans are clustered in Texas and Los Angeles.

Well, according to the US Census and the US Government, she would be wrong, and frankly, the whole discussion is centered on whether those US statistics should include Hispanic as "white." My point all along is that you should include white Hispanics with white and black Hispanics with black, since the US Government recognizes that neither Hispanic nor Latino is related to a person's race. As to not giving a ******** what I say, I'm cool with that as well. I'm not sure I believe you since your are responding to my posts with such venom at 2:18 a.m., but I'll accept you at your word for this since I don't really have facts and evidence to support a counter argument. ;)

9. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    #134 JBigjake, Jun 2, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2015
    Go ******** yourself. Seriously.
    That I will, princess.
    Your lengthy posts seem contrary to that. Who are you trying to convince? Yourself?
    Someone has to watch the U-20s. This is a soccer board, after all.
    http://www.fifa.com/u20worldcup/matches/round=271602/match=300269524/index.html#nosticky

10. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago

11. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
  12. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I work with a guy named Jose Lee? Anyone wants to venture his race and ethnicity?

13. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Hispasian?

dapip repped this.
  14. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I used to work with a woman named Tanisha Johnson. Anyone want to venture her race and ethnicity?

15. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
  16. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    College students carrying guns on campus? What could possibly go wrong with that?

cleansheetbsc, Kobranzilla and Chris M. repped this.
  17. Kobranzilla

Kobranzilla Member

Sep 6, 2001
    NY F'in City
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    this is such a horribly fûcked up idea, if it wasn't so sad, I would laugh...I will NEVER...NEVER Understand gun nuts (or truck nuts for that matter)

18. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You mean this, right?

[​IMG]

Kobranzilla repped this.
  19. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I suppose he did this because Texas does not have any history with shooting on college campuses.

Chris M., Dr. Wankler, dapip and 2 others repped this.
  20. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Black non-Hispanic American for both

21. Kobranzilla

Kobranzilla Member

Sep 6, 2001
    NY F'in City
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yup! odds that car has A. a gun rack and B. calvin peeing on another truck company logo?

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  22. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    and C: a driver who is several months late on alimony and child support payments

23. El Chuma

El Chuma BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 17, 2005
    San Diego
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    D: a driver who pays income tax

24. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For my co-worker, she was a white woman with straight, dark hair. I have a distant relative named Maynard Jones, and some people might think he's black based on his name. My brother had a friend in college named Tom Rockwell who spoke with a heavy Italian accent. I knew an Irish guy named Guiseppe who sounded like the Lucky Charms leprechaun.

Sometimes you just don't know based on someone's name.

Auriaprottu repped this.
  25. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    "Maynard" doesn't have any relation to Black folks other than the former mayor of ATL, AFAIK. But yeah, there are names you'd expect certain races of people to have, and you'd be wrong only a few times out of many. Seriously, what's the chance that your Tanisha was gonna be White? With your mortgage on the line, you'd have guessed Black, too.

And some names have been transferred/abandoned once a certain race started using them. I don't know any White Americans named Moses, Elton, Curtis, Leon, Reginald, Otis, Marcus, or Maurice, but I know plenty of Black guys with those names. Might be because I'm Black, dunno.