NSR: A gun on Every Corner: Discuss the NRA, Gun Ownership and All Those Non-Mass Shootings..

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by dapip, Feb 20, 2015.

Tags:
?

Do we need more strict gun laws?

1. Repeal the second baby!

54 vote(s)
    51.4%
  2. We need better mental healthcare..

38 vote(s)
    36.2%
  3. A discussion on the topic would be interesting..

29 vote(s)
    27.6%
  4. That's Liberul talk for them to take may gunz!

7 vote(s)
    6.7%
  5. You can pry my gun from my cold dead hands..

15 vote(s)
    14.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Of course. Just as I said.
    This is exactly the sort of perk a cop can expect to be granted to him.

No, that's the last thing they need to be allowed to do. What that does is allow the boys who are either bigger or trained in violence to triumph, and essentially make the big dumb kid the arbiter of justice.

fatbastard, dapip and taosjohn repped this.
  2. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    The Trump of the Tricycle Set if you will

3. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Obviously "good" guy with a gun does not apply to black people.

I am sure that after a long "independent" investigation it will turn out that Roberson (Robinson?) had a gram of weed in his apartment back in 2001 so the DA will call the shooting perfectly appropriate.

fatbastard, xtomx and dapip repped this.
  4. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For sure, is a bias that we all have, there have been studies on it, we all react differently depending on the race of the person.

A black young male holding a gun is immediately seen as a bad guy regardless of facts on the ground.

dapip repped this.
  5. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
  6. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
  7. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
  8. raza_rebel

raza_rebel Member+

Dec 11, 2000
    Club:
    Univ de Chile
    Mike03, Auriaprottu and xtomx repped this.
  9. Khan

Khan Member+

Mar 16, 2000
    On the road
    Based on the town in which this shooting occurred [Robbins, IL], the deceased security guard was almost certainly restraining a POC.

10. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Guns and Nazis go together like White Anxiety and Red Hats..

https://www.foxla.com/news/local-ne...pers-nazi-memorabilia-found-in-home-of-oc-man

Detectives obtained a search warrant and arrested Todd on Tuesday. A search of his home would reveal a stockpile of weapons and ammo, including assault rifles and snipers.

“Definitely an arsenal, we’re trying to figure out why one person would have in excess of 50 guns, at least in my career it’s stands up there with the top 5 in terms of firepower,” Sgt. Cota said. “This is definitely an amount of weaponry that is not for personal use.”

Sgt. Cota told FOX 11 detectives also found a confederate flag and Nazi memorabilia in Todd’s home.

“We also found some memorabilia that was a reference to the Third Reich and Nazi paraphernalia that were gonna look into just to see if there’s any ties to any hate groups or anything like that,” he said.

Neighbors told FOX 11 off camera that Todd is known as the “crazy guy” in the neighborhood, and that Nazi memorabilia had been seen in his windows before.

Sgt. Cota told FOX 11 that only 12 of the recovered weapons are registered to Todd, and the DOJ and ATF will likely have to be brought in to investigate.
    I wonder who this guy voted for...

fatbastard repped this.
  11. diablodelsol

diablodelsol Member+

Jan 10, 2001
    New Jersey
    fatbastard repped this.
  12. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can you expand on that?

What qualifies as a retail buyer?

I think is a good start, but IMO still would leave a big hole of people working as a middleman to buy and sell weapons to people with no background checks.

13. diablodelsol

diablodelsol Member+

Jan 10, 2001
    New Jersey
    Sure. I described it in one of the iterations of this topic.

Firearm supply chains go from manufacturer to a licensed firearms dealer (FFL) to the individual buyer. FFL dealers are required to run background checks on sales to individuals. The results of the background check are recorded on an form called the 4473. When an FFL sells to a private individual, they record the serial number of the firearm as well as the Id of the person that is purchasing it.

The issue is that once that person buys it, he can sell it with no record of the sale.

What I had proposed is that private sellers be required to show proof that they sold it to someone with a 4473.

Someone wants to buy a gun from a non FFL. They go to an FFL and have a background check run. They present the 4473 to the other private seller (who is on record of purchasing the gun on the first retail sale). The seller confirms the ID matches the form, fills in the serial number of the firearm, and turns that sales record into an FFL. Now the name on that 4473 is tied to that firearm.

There are a million FFL dealers in this country.(no idea if that’s true...:but they’re all over the place)

Make it a crime to fail to register a sale.
    Make it a crim to fail to report a firearm stolen.

This cuts off the supply of firearms that enter circulation through straw buyers, or people who sell to others without having them go through a background check. Right now...there is no real way to do this. I can sell to anyone. I’m not supposed to sell to someone I know is not allowed. But it’s easy to not know if I don’t ask. The above requires me to ask and show proof.

This will not be overly burdensome on either private buyers or private sellers. FFL dealers are everywhere.

Not exactly sure how to address firearms already in circulation that have already gone past the first registered 4473 buyer. But again it will drastically cut off the supply of firearms to those that cannot pass a background check.

soccernutter, sitruc and ToMhIlL repped this.
  14. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    Attrition.

The notion that an existing firearm will exist forever is illusion. They wear and rust and corrode and break and go obsolete and get lost just like anything else. Slower than cars but faster than ships, but they do. And worst cases, they will wind up in evidence ,lockers or on the bottom of lakes, or become incredibly expensive as the number of untraceables dwindles...

The need is to stop the flood, not to scorch the earth. Give the cops another tool, not make them all powerful.

I'd also be in favor of a registry of lands and groves of all new firearms, too, so that eventually cops will not have to find the gun to identify its owner...

spejic, sitruc and dapip repped this.
  15. diablodelsol

diablodelsol Member+

Jan 10, 2001
    New Jersey
    This was the word I was looking for.

Which leads to the other place I believe shoulf be the target of political capital....the semi finished lower receiver market.

16. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In some states this is how it works for private cars sales right, then if you have to change the title of the car you have to register it (with in some amount of time).

I think that it is a reasonable law (to see what the S.C. rules).

17. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    NRA TV is laying off people..

https://www.thetrace.org/rounds/nratv-layoffs-employees-ackerman-mcqueen/

Several staffers at NRATV, the National Rifle Association’s video streaming operation, have been laid off, according to a former staffer.

Longtime NRATV producer and correspondent Cameron Gray tweeted Wednesdaythat he and “several colleagues” had been terminated this morning. Gray said he had been an employee at the gun group’s video arm for almost 10 years. He had worked as a producer for Cam & Company, a news and talk show hosted by NRATV personality Cam Edwards that covered a wide range of political topics beyond just guns.

Gray and Edwards did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

The dismissals come on the back of a string of evidence that suggests the NRA is in poor financial health. According to tax filings, the gun group’s revenue fell by $55 million from 2016 to 2017, leaving the organization with an $18 million deficit. According to a lawsuit filed against insurance broker Lockton Affinity earlier this year, the NRA has not been able to renew umbrella liability coverage essential to running a media operation or putting on public events.

18. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I am still confused as to how their revenue fell by that much. It makes it sound like their revenue model was basically grifting.

19. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    It's a possibility. I think that they work more like so many "charities", that collect millions and millions in donations, but only a little amount goes actually to the intended work. In this case, yes, they're vocal and they probably contribute a lot of money to the GOP, but most of their expenses are due to lavish offices and salaries and life style. So if they were a well run organization, a 20 or 30% drop in their income would be manageable in terms of their main objective, but since they are built to spend money, they have to drastically cut other expenses in order to keep the political contributions on level and the executives salaries up there.

20. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    Plus their Russian funding may have dried up, since their ability to sway elections seems to be dropping.

dapip repped this.
  21. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Even though much is being made of the NRA losing some revenue ($55M-ish), the total still only went from $300M+ down to $300M+ :)

They still have way too much money and the gun manufacturers (their largest contributors to my knowledge) probably aren't paying them any less.

I did see (above) that some NRA TV folks got fired to help offset costs, so maybe two or three fewer terror-inducing shows/videos in the next few months.

sitruc and dapip repped this.
  22. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #2847 ceezmad, Nov 30, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2018
    Don't they get 70% or so of their revenue from gun manufacturers?

It looks like I was way off, they get about half from membership fees.

https://thehill.com/business-a-lobbying/business-a-lobbying/354317-the-nras-power-by-the-numbers

If the numbers reported by the Hill above are correct, 5 million or so members at $40 a pop per year membership gets you around half of the revenue they reported in 2015.

fatbastard repped this.
  23. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Thoughts and Prayers. I suggest a #gofundme page on facebook so they can at least get some coffee

24. phedre44

phedre44 Member

SKC
    Apr 1, 2008
    Kansas
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Apparently there is an active shooter situation at my work right now. Yay...

25. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hopefully you are safe and not at work right now?