NSR: A gun on Every Corner: Discuss the NRA, Gun Ownership and All Those Non-Mass Shootings..

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by dapip, Feb 20, 2015.

Tags:
?

Do we need more strict gun laws?

1. Repeal the second baby!

54 vote(s)
    51.4%
  2. We need better mental healthcare..

38 vote(s)
    36.2%
  3. A discussion on the topic would be interesting..

29 vote(s)
    27.6%
  4. That's Liberul talk for them to take may gunz!

7 vote(s)
    6.7%
  5. You can pry my gun from my cold dead hands..

15 vote(s)
    14.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    I'd argue that one does have a right to hunt. It is just not an enumerated right.

They way our constitution works is that you have a right to do anything not prohibited by the constitution or prohibited by law.
    If the Feds or a State does pass a law prohibiting or infringing upon a right, it has to do so with due process and equal protection.

Example: The constitution does not give a right to vote. It simply lists reasons (race, gender) that states cannot use to infringe upon your inherent right to vote.

ceezmad and Moishe repped this.
  2. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    I think you sorta got my point: it isn't enumerated, Congress could just go ahead and outlaw it and a court would actually have to be pretty activist to block them.

The second actually guarantees a right to keep and bear arms, and it really needs to be amended to limit that or at least to limit it very much. Realizing that that has become necessary and that we do have the power to do that is maybe the first step.

The second maybe should be a discussion of "where and how much" as in "how to reshape it" rather than "how to get rid of it entirely." We'd rather only do this once in every couple-three centuries, if that.

And I'll throw out into the hopper that one of the things to recognize in here is that Prohibition was repealed-- but it wasn't really a failure. It certainly eroded our respect for law some, but we were much much less a nation of drunks after. I know "Mad Men" shocked people with its portrayal of how much my parents' generation drank-- but trust me, it was nowhere near as much as pre-prohibition generations. Prohibition worked, it just sundowned is all.

dapip and crazypete13 repped this.
  3. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    I think a court would block this.
    Many Alaskans, for example, actually need to hunt in order to survive.

Since the 2A is a fundamental constitutional right, the legislation would face strict scrutiny. This means the government would have to show a compelling government interest; that the legislation is narrowly tailored to protect that interest, and does so by the least restrictive means.
    Certainly, protecting the citizenry from gun violence is a compelling governmental interest. However, I do not see any court accepting that banning hunting is narrowly tailored to that interest or protects that interest by the least restrictive means.

I do not see any way to effective ban hunting.

I agree entirely and think that it can be done in a manner that passes strict scrutiny.

My first steps would be:
    1. Increasing the penalties for anyone assisting someone in violating current gun laws.
    2. Making it more difficult for the mentally impaired to buy firearms.
    3. Make it a felony for anyone to knowingly allow access to firearms to anyone who you know or should know is mentally impaired.
    4. Remove the 2A rights entirely for anyone convicted of gun-related violence or of threatening gun-related violence.
    5. Ban all products that increase the fire-rate of semi-automatic weapons.
    6. Increase the penalties for anyone who increases or attempts to increase the fire-rate of semi-automatic weapons.

4. roby

roby Member+

SIRLOIN SALOON FC, PITTSFIELD MA
    Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    Was on a job in Fla and one of the project mgrs. gave me an elk roast. Had never had any and all I had to cook it in was an electric fry pan w/a high cover. I put in a bit of water along w/a couple onions and hoped for the best. It was one of the tastiest and tenderest piece of meat I've ever had. Received many compliments from the moochers I shared it with. :thumbsup:

dapip repped this.
  5. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    That's not only bad for (NRA) business, it's flaunting liberalism in the face of a nation that doesn't want any regulation at all.
    They're conservative, not stupid- well, not in the sense that you can sneak up on them from behind with legislation calculated to limit their fun.

6. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    A lot of good candidates in the dem primary where I live. I think this guy might get my vote.

soccernutter repped this.
  7. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why do people with mental health problems automatically lose a constitutional right?

Why not the first or the 5th?

Just playing devils advocate for those that do not think that the 2nd is a little different than say the 1st.

8. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    Obviously, we both understand the reason, but it does make for very good discussion and is a great lesson in the importance strict scrutiny vs other standards of review for fundamental constitutional rights.

Thankfully, our courts make it far more difficult to remove fundamental constitutional rights than it does other rights.

You can have a great discussion on the similarities and differences of the government removing a mental unstable person's 2A rights compared to removing a physically unstable person's privilege to drive.

9. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I see it more like people that have been convicted of fraud not being able to sell goods on TV or such.

Driving is not a constitutional right.

Also should people convicted of hate crimes, should they lose their right to free speech, for example they could get arrested if they put up a YouTube video talking about racial hatred.

We also have libel and slander laws that "limit" free speech in civil courts, we should also have laws as you say that punish people that sell guns to people with out licenses and people that lose guns.

If I have a pit-bull and it bites a neighbor, I can face liabilities, it should be the same if my gun is used in a crime or in some accident because I was careless with the gun.

10. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry to be pedantic, but I don't believe the highlighted phrase above is a settled question of law. Neither Heller nor McDonald gave any definitive guidance as to what level of Carolene Products scrutiny applies to Second Amendment questions. Recently, the Sixth Circuit has said strict scrutiny applies, but the opinion was sharply divided, and the majority's view only prevailed by one or two votes IIRC. I'm not sure if the losers have sought cert in this case or not (couldn't find anything with a real quick check).

http://www.scotusblog.com/2014/12/appeals-court-gun-control-must-meet-toughest-test/

11. raza_rebel

raza_rebel Member+

Dec 11, 2000
    Club:
    Univ de Chile
    Then you have something on the equal but opposite end of the spectrum.

2 Things:
    • He obviously never took a course on how to handle fire firearms. The first thing they teach you is to treat all firearms as if they're loaded and NEVER ever point one at a person unless your going to have to possibly use it.
    • I know it is supposed to come off as an overprotective father stereotype but it's just comical. And not in a "laughing with you" way. More of a "laughing at you" way. It reminds me of a house I go by in the Hampton Roads area where they have a "This House Protected By God & Guns" in the window. The ad and the sign are supposed to portray toughness and strength but is comical.

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  12. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I was procrastinating, which is the only time the phrase "hey let's read Youtube comments" sounds good, but... well, this one was pretty funny.

His poor daughter is probably dying of embarrassment. Will he get more than 2 goats in trade for her?​

raza_rebel repped this.
  13. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was talking about the members, not the board. Yes, the board is an extension of the firearm industry. The card carrying members just want their toys.

14. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
  15. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #2715 ceezmad, May 4, 2018
    Last edited: May 4, 2018
    Any excuse to walk out of school is a good excuse.

BTW Impressive crowd, and token all the way in front.

upload_2018-5-4_10-12-57.png

dapip repped this.
  16. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    True. They did a way better job than these other guys:

[​IMG]

There was so much material in that piece... Like the 22 that walked out of X high school, or the map with all the supposed participants, or the help from the Tea Party patriots...

17. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Take a close look at that Black student. Y'all never watched El Cid?

18. Dolemite

Dolemite Member+

Apr 2, 2001
    East Bay, Ca
    M, Auriaprottu, rslfanboy and 1 other person repped this.
  19. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Slavery and the Second Amendment...

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/24/...mailed&version=Full&src=me&WT.nav=MostEmailed

{George} Mason and {Virginia Governor} Patrick Henry raised many arguments against ratification {of the Bill of Rights}. One concerned the militia. To appreciate their arguments, we must bear three things in mind about the time and place of the debate.

First, the majority population in eastern Virginia were enslaved blacks. Whites lived in constant fear of slave insurrection. Everyone knew about the 1739 slave rebellion in Stono, S.C., when blacks broke into a store, decapitated the shopkeepers, seized guns and powder, and marched with flying banners, beating drums and cries of “Liberty!” Up to 100 joined the rebellion before being engaged by a contingent of armed, mounted militiamen. Scores died in the ensuing battle.

Second, the principal instrument for slave control was the militia. In the main, the South had refused to commit her militias to the war against the British during the American Revolution out of fear that, if the militias departed, slaves would revolt. But while the militias were effective at slave control, they had proved themselves unequal to the task of fighting a professional army. Bunker Hill was the last militia victory during the Revolution. The Continental Army (aided by the French Navy) won the war.

Third, previously the militias were creatures of state governments. The new Constitution changed that. It divided authority over militias between the national and state governments, but gave the lion’s share of authority — including the power to organize, arm and discipline the militias — to Congress.

During the debate in Richmond, Mason and Henry suggested that the new Constitution gave Congress the power to subvert the slave system by disarming the militias. “Slavery is detested,” Henry reminded the audience. “The majority of Congress is to the North, and the slaves are to the South,” he said.​

Interesting if true.

superdave and crazypete13 repped this.
  20. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm

21. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    It isn't or at least a lot of it isn't;

Bunker Hill wasn't a militia victory; they ran out of ammo and skedaddled leaving the field to the British. A pyrrhic victory for them, but a victory by any meaningful standard; they achieved their objective.

The militia did however achieve or participate with honor in several later victories, and King's Mountain, the true turning point of the war was entirely a militia victory-- no regulars were on the scene. The Cowpens involved regulars in a key role; but it was a militia charge that settled the day's issue.

And I find the notion that southern militia sat out the war to suppress the slaves a bit peculiar and dubious. For sure there were large numbers of southerners who had no dog in the fight but were concerned with the possibility of a slave revolt-- especially as the British were, off and on, trying to foment one. Probably those folks stayed home as it wasn't their war. But there was never any difficulty raising militia when there was a call-- whether Camden or King's Mountain or Eutaw Springs there were always more than a few hundred available, and the area wasn't very heavily populated.

And remember, slavery wasn't outlawed most places in the North until after the revolution. And there's a matter of definition here too. Any group of men engaged in hunting runaway slaves was ipso facto a militia-- it was part of what the word meant, along with resisting pirates, fighting fires, hunting outlaws and resisting invasion; the word meant something halfway between "posse" and "army."

russ, crazypete13 and Dr. Wankler repped this.
  22. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You also needed militias to kill off the Amerindians.

23. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
  24. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    https://www.al.com/news/index.ssf/2018/05/gov_kay_ivey_state_officials_t.html

Gov. Kay Ivey, state Superintendent Eric Mackey and Alabama Law Enforcement Secretary Hal Taylor announced today a program to authorize certain administrators to undergo training and have firearms stored on school campuses.

Ivey said the Alabama Sentry Program will begin immediately with the goal of being in place to start the 2018-2019 school year.

Ivey said it is the best way to protect schools now until the Legislature can reach consensus on a plan to put a school resource officer in every school.

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  25. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    [​IMG]

Auriaprottu repped this.