NSR: A gun on Every Corner: Discuss the NRA, Gun Ownership and All Those Non-Mass Shootings..

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by dapip, Feb 20, 2015.

Tags:
?

Do we need more strict gun laws?

1. Repeal the second baby!

54 vote(s)
    51.4%
  2. We need better mental healthcare..

38 vote(s)
    36.2%
  3. A discussion on the topic would be interesting..

29 vote(s)
    27.6%
  4. That's Liberul talk for them to take may gunz!

7 vote(s)
    6.7%
  5. You can pry my gun from my cold dead hands..

15 vote(s)
    14.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. roby

roby Member+

SIRLOIN SALOON FC, PITTSFIELD MA
    Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    I'm sure there are a lot of posters here wondering why it took you so long! :whistling:

dapip repped this.
  2. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I own a Yeti cooler. They market themselves to the serious outdoorsman (outdoorsperson?) - the people who stalk elk in remote parts of Alaska and shoot them with a bow and then need to keep the meat cold for days, or something like that. So of course, a sedentary suburbanite like myself got one. I've mainly brought it on my kid's Boy Scout weekend camping trips. It's great for cred with the other suburban dads.

3. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Talking ‘bout the interns running the asylum, aren’t ya?

roby repped this.
  4. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    I don't think anyone will notice me boycotting the $500 coolers, since I would never buy such a thing anyway. But count me in!

Dr. Wankler and dapip repped this.
  5. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You are damned if you do and damned if you don't.

You try to keep your suburbian liberal customer happy by not giving NRA discounts and your hunter customers get pissed, you try to walk it back by saying you support constitutional rights and the lefties get pissed.

Corporations are people my friend, all they want is to make a nice profit and shower their shareholders with low tax rate money. Why can't we just let them be.

6. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think most hunters are hardcore NRA 2nd amendment absolutists. For the most part, they're not using AR-15s to hunt, and they're not buying dozens of guns just in case a Democrat gets elected and gets gun-grabby. There's a fair number of hunters who have come out in favor of more gun laws. A couple of examples from last fall:

https://www.hcn.org/articles/opinion-hunters-its-long-past-time-we-stood-up-for-gun-control

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/07/opinion/sunday/responsible-gun-ownership.html <- note, from the failing NY Times, might be fake news

From 2015: https://www.npr.org/2015/10/03/445590572/a-hunter-on-gun-control-we-want-something-to-change

From 2013: https://www.theatlantic.com/nationa...o-stop-letting-the-nra-speak-for-them/267097/

soccernutter and raza_rebel repped this.
  7. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sure and not all NRA members are AR15 owners, my cousins love to hunt, they do not own any "Semi-Automatic" rifle, they are members, I don't know if they own a Yeti cooler, I may ask one of them next time I see him.

8. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    I thought more guns made places safer?

9. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am pretty sure there will be a lot of guns in that place, carried by the Secret Service and other police officers. It will not be a safe zone for sure.

10. roby

roby Member+

Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    Have the members of the Secret Service and other police officers been vetted? :cautious:

dapip repped this.
  11. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not that this is a representative sample of "gun owners," but I grew up in a rural area and I know more than a few people who hunt and own guns. I would say that the one common theme for all of them is that they despise the "idiot" factor of gun owners. In other words, they are not toys, they are serious business and need to be respected, stored and handled properly. Gun safety is the #1 thing among those people. So yes, more regulations to make sure people know how to safely use guns and don't accidentally do something tragic and stupid because they were careless.

In other words, they would cringe at the sight of Sarah Palin casually mis-handling a gun on that stupid TV show where they goaded an elderly moose out of the woods so she could shoot him in an open field.

raza_rebel repped this.
  12. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    A golden shower, so to speak.

13. raza_rebel

raza_rebel Member+

Dec 11, 2000
    Club:
    Univ de Chile
    I have one friend who works at the Heritage Foundation and lives less than 10 miles away from the NRA HQ. Even he thinks the NRA is too much. And this is a guy who used to take part in Civil War Reenactments.

IMHO, there are 2 disparate groups that keep getting lumped in together. Hunters and ....the NRA guys.

Hunters have little use for an AR-15 unless they are going after feral pigs. They want to use something to bag a deer or elk without having to use a spoon to pick up the pieces. Heck, I have a friend from high school that uses a bow and arrow for turkey to give himself a challenge. The 2A guys are the ones you hear the most about who the NRA are sending their message to.

Sometimes they overlap. In my personal experience, the outdoorsman and the NRA group are more the exception than the norm.

Smurfquake, soccernutter and Dr. Wankler repped this.
  14. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Most of the hunters I'm related to used to be in the NRA, but they've been leaving for the past couple of decades, starting with the younger generation and pretty much culminating with the guys in their 70s.

raza_rebel repped this.
  15. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Once again, she manages to corral the gun owners' anger. If you don't know her yet, read up.

16. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This has been what @Moishe has been saying for the last couple of years (at least) on these boards.

To me, the NRA is about power and influence. Hunters are about exercising their right to hunt, and don't want to get caught in this fight between the NRA and anti-2nd Amendment groups.

raza_rebel repped this.
  17. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    There's a right to hunt?? Which amendment is that?

xtomx repped this.
  18. roby

roby Member+

Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    There was a book written about that.

upload_2018-4-30_13-32-27.jpeg

19. raza_rebel

raza_rebel Member+

Dec 11, 2000
    Club:
    Univ de Chile
    I have been hearing about this Yeti cooler kerfuffle (along with Alfie Evans) on the right. Say what you must about the NRA but they know their audience and how to motivate them.

If I had a Yeti cooler, I wouldn't destroy it. Of course, this is coming from someone who still hasn't bought an Alexis Sanchez club jersey because I haven't been on a team I would feel comfortable wearing.

Fcuking ManU....seriously o_Oo_O

soccernutter repped this.
  20. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When he comes to Spurs, buy early, and buy often. :D

21. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The bold was the key. Hunters seem to view gun ownership more about having a tool where as NRA members seem to view gun ownership more about having a toy (or a weapon, depends on context).

22. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    The NRA doesn't give a damn about gun ownership or gun owners for that matter. They are interested in gun sales and nothing else. They are simply a propaganda tool for the firearm industry.

23. Moishe

Moishe Moderator
    Staff Member

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Mar 6, 2005
    Here there and everywhere.
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    You are right, there is no right to hunt but I'm sure you are smart enough to not deny it is a necessity for many in this country.

24. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    Coupla pounds of elk in my freezer right now, gift from a gracious neighbor.

But I'm sure you are smart enough to figger out what the point of my post was...

25. Moishe

Moishe Moderator
    Staff Member

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Mar 6, 2005
    Here there and everywhere.
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Absolutely John and if you’d like to overnight me some elk I wouldn’t say no

roby repped this.