Julian Green at SpVgg Greuther Fürth

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Chance, Aug 20, 2015.

1. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    sheeeit if arriola can get one then why not green?

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  2. DisgustinJustin

Sep 26, 2013
    I assume the transfer fee couldn't be any more than $500K. He couldn't have increased his value sitting the bench. It should be less, unless MLS is doing the bidding.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  3. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    Yep. I agree that the special treatment unfortunately did severe damage to Green's career.

Unless Stuttgart releases Green from his contract, MLS is out of the question until January. IMO, he could get a 500K contract in MLS, even with the wasted last 3 seasons. I'm hoping a 2nd division club in Germany catches interest in the meantime.

4. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    I'm pretty sceptical of the "Klinsi broke him" theory. If the other events in his career are not enough to motivate him, it's a Green problem. If anyone "broke him" it would be BM who perhaps led him on longer than his skill set warranted since he is a relatively unimportant asset for them.

But he would not be the first player to not live up to their hype and it's probably due his mere mortaldom.

largegarlic repped this.
  5. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why would anyone assume he would garner a fee? He seems as useless to VfB than teets on a bull. They would probably be happy if someone would stump up his wages to get rid of him and his salary.

Suyuntuy and The Irish Rover repped this.
  6. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    I choked on my beer :speechless:

7. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Not probably. Definitely.

They might even be willing to give him/the signing club 1/3rd of his wages to get him out of the club

Suyuntuy and ttrevett repped this.
  8. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I don't think Klinsi broke him. I don't think he was ready for the transition.

This is a kid who largely grew up in Germany, where the World Cup means something. He played and scored in a World Cup and then was put back to the reserve team. That's a struggle for a 26 year old, let alone a 18-19 year old.

9. ShaftBrewer

ShaftBrewer Member+

Jul 18, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The world cup means something to everyone everywhere, I think his problem was he was too indecisive in leaving Bayern earlier. Didn't help that Ancelotti hyped him up so much as well.

(TxT) and freisland repped this.
  10. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Disappointing for him, for the USMNT as well. I feel for the kid as I'm not sure he was ever going to be the player BM or Klinsi thought he was going to be, and he's battling the inability to live up to high expectations more than being a not so great footballer. If he had joined a 3BL club as a kid and worked his way up he may be in a very different situation than he is now. Sucks.

11. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Well, he's still young enough to reinvent/invent himself. Whether he's got the fire and the talent is another story.

Winoman repped this.
  12. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This kid's (he ain't a kid no more) career is going to be worse than Freddy's.

13. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In his jargon, unwahrscheinlich. Freddy's was and still is legendarily bad. I just wish he would have made that transfer to the team in Romania, or wherever that was, recently, if only for the comedic value.

14. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Green's will be legendary, too. Don't underestimate him.

ttrevett repped this.
  15. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Has his issue ever been a lack of work ethic? I think the difference in mentality between the two will allow Green to find his level and do OK there. I just don't think he's an outstanding soccer player like he would need to be to thrive even at a lower 1BL club like VfB or even likely in the 2BL. He needs to go to Joe Gyau's club and form a partnerschaft mit ihm. Lovely place to earn a living playing soccer that.

16. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Uh, Hamburg.

The Irish Rover and ttrevett repped this.
  17. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I suspect his comfort zone is wafer thin and doesn't fare very well outside of it.

chad repped this.
  18. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fair point. He does like himself some Twitter as well, so he may rival Fredua.

19. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I could see them overpaying for him, but Arriola has a clear case over Green from a merit standpoint. Arriola proved more for club and country. Green's claim to fame is one strike in the WC in desperation mode when he didn't even deserve to be there, an association w/ Bayern, and a few preseason performances there. Competitively, he hasn't proven himself above the Regionaliga.

At this point he should look for the right fit in MLS or 2. BL, to finally prove himself at any respectable level, and money shouldn't be much of a factor, before he can start chasing the bigger bucks and stardom. This is the crossroads for him whether he goes on the Adu path or Lletget's (pre-injury).

Incidentally, the freaking out over his preseason performances a year ago was ignominious. Not only could he not translate them to play a part for Bayern as some believed he would, he didn't even do it for a top 2. BL squad.

schrutebuck and The Irish Rover repped this.
  20. Deeneaus

Deeneaus Member+

Aug 29, 2007
    America/Deutschland
    Club:
    Arminia Bielefeld
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I knew you were secretly German and Google translating all of your posts!

ttrevett repped this.
  21. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    disagree. arriola hasnt proven anything with USMNT. is everyone ready anoint him? yes. has he shown more than green has? not really. personally, i think green has shown better for USMNT - especially considering he is basically doing everything without any pro experience. to me, green's performance versus his level of experience is actually a big positive in his favor when comparing him to his USMNT peers.

arriola has 2 goals in 11 games...against T & T and puerto rico. meanwhile, green has scored against new zealnd, cuba and belgium...3 goals in 8 games, with a WC goal included.

i realize goals arent everything....arriola has shown to be a better defender and overall better physical presence...but that doesnt have signifcant weight in my mind when evaluating attackers....at least not enough to take a worse offensive attacker just because he is better at defending.

KicksNgiggles repped this.
  22. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think he was talking about an offer from MLS, not a shot at the national team roster. In any case, national team discussion belongs in USA Men and US Men News and Analysis.

ttrevett and ChuckMe92 repped this.
  23. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    1. I agree that there are MLS clubs that would consider overpaying Green. I could see him getting up to 500K a year in MLS based on his World Cup goal, which is astonishingly high considering his career so far.

2. Yep. Astute Bigsoccer members realized by the beginning of last season that Ancelotti would use Green like a 3rd GK.

24. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ich wünsche. Leider bin ich Amerikaner.

25. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Don't see him coming to MLS. After all, he wanted to stay close to his home, to his mom's cooking. Pressreader has a bunch of articles from back when he got called to the USMNT and became a small celebrity in Miesbach (his mom's hometown, also his at this point). Example:

https://www.pressreader.com/germany/muenchner-merkur/20140625/282587376062944

He didn't have an easy childhood, their parents separated when he was two and from that point on for several years he had to cross the ocean to see his dad, at best twice a year. At some point even that stopped. Anyway, it's the sort of bio that makes you think that person is going to have abandonment issues and what not.

Be as it may, Julian chose to always stay close to his mother's place. Basically, his entire career has happened within two hours (by car) from her place. Miesbach, Hausham, München, now Stuttgart. It's possible his sense of discomfort in Hamburg was based on the fact that he was on the other side of Germany --even if crossing the country top-to-bottom doesn't take even nine hours thanks to their excellent highways.

He could have chosen a club where he was needed. But he chose VfB to stay as close home as possible. No way I see him crossing the ocean.