Julian Green at SpVgg Greuther Fürth

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Chance, Aug 20, 2015.

1. chrome_vapors

chrome_vapors Member+

Oct 15, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the general tendency is to overvalue the impact of money and fame on players fundamental character traits as they pertain to the competitive game.

Adu is an entirely different case. The psychological differences between a 14 year old child and an 19/20 year old young adult are staggering.

I'd be far more inclined to believe that the fame and status Adu achieved at 14 negatively affected his psychological ability to play in adulthood relative to Green's experiences as a young adult.

freisland repped this.
  2. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    He is an example of why you have to be careful capping kids and should try bringing them in slowly if possible.

If Klinsmann brought him to the WC training camp and gave him his first cap or two in the warm up games a la Arena and Michael Bradley, it probably would have been better.

It might have helped with the alleged ego in Hamburg, it might have made him a little more willing to leave Bayern. He went from scoring a goal in the world cup to being sent to the reserves/2nd team of the team he was sent on loan to in the span of 6 months. That is rough. Just being on a World Cup squad and going to the reserve team is tough unless you grew up and played for a country like New Zealand where the expectation is not the same. He trained with World Cup winners on a daily basis and to an extent, did what they were doing on the World Cup stage. They were playing Bundesliga games, he was on the pine for the reserve team. It's tough at 18-19.

It's still the beginning of the season, so maybe there is time.

deuteronomy and schrutebuck repped this.
  3. beerslinger23

beerslinger23 Member+

Jun 26, 2010
    From what I have seen he is already better than Lynden Gooch as a winger on the attack. Don't know about his defensive workrate but his first touch, ability to beat defenders and movement are all very advanced. If effectiveness in Germany is the problem his skillset should find success in a kick and run league like MLS but he will have to allow his ego to accept that MLS is his level.

4. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. TxEx

TxEx Member+

Tottenham Hotspur, Crystal Palace, FC Dallas
    Aug 19, 2016
    DFW
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    If Stuttgart isn't going to play him then yeah, I'd just prefer they sell him. Green has ability. He just needs to get playing time to unlock it. If that's the B.2 level or the Eredivisie then that's okay. Both are acceptable at this stage of his career.

6. largegarlic

largegarlic Member+

Jul 2, 2007
    I'm not really sure about his ability at this point. I think he has good technical ability, but there was always a question for me if he could physically and mentally adjust to playing at the highest level. The physical part is self-explanatory, but I thought his ability to read the game quickly has been inconsistent. He's had some great moments where he's made the right run at the right time (e.g., Belgium and last year's hat trick against Inter), but other games where I've seen him, he's seemed very static, like he's unsure of where he should be and what run to make. If he gets the ball, he's be active in taking people on, but doesn't get on the ball nearly enough because he's not moving to get open.

The Irish Rover repped this.
  7. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    I like this kid's technique in attack. He could become a BuLi player, but the mentality is just not there. His interviews while at Bayern were all about how happy he was being in the club. Other kids his age were talking about storming the fort, basically, climbing into the main team. Julian wasn't like that, he was just happy to be there.

After he left Bayern, he gave an interview where he sounded far too pleased with his past. That was strange for a 21 year old.

The Irish Rover repped this.
  8. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    #2283 The Irish Rover, Aug 19, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2017
    I saw two of his cameo appearances for HSV, and it was precisely that lack of fight and physicality that stood out. He had his idea of what was required, and when that didn't work . . . he'd turn around and do it again and then stand looking around him like a kid who's had his lunch money stolen in the playground. Again. By the same guy - and doesn't understand why. The journeymen RBs at 2015's Hertha and Augsburg had realized that he could be bullied off they ball, and not just physically.

At this stage he's what Graeme Souness, the hardman who bossed Liverpool's midfield in the late 70s and early 80's would call a son-in-law; very nice, and you'd be happy to see your daughter settling down with him but "there's no rascal there." Of medium height for a player and rather slender, Souness became a tough nut who sometimes (often, actually) crossed over into dirty bastard territory to show that could definitely play a bit.

Green, well, doesn't do that. At. All.

9. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    #2284 The Irish Rover, Aug 19, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2017
    I was exaggerating a bit, but not exactly "making it up," as it were. That goal was 3 years ago. Since then, his record reads:
    * 28 RLB games for 2,190 minutes, 10 goals and 5 assists. 79 mins a game, 2.3 games a goal
    * 1 RLN game for 90 minutes. 0 Goals or assists.
    * 2 Cup games for 113 minutes. 1 goal, 0 assists. 54 mins a game, 2 games a goal.
    * 2 ECL games for 68 minutes, 0 goals or assists. 35 mins a game
    * 5 BL1 games for 109 minutes, 0 goals or assists. 23 mins a game
    * 10 BL2 games for 483 minutes, 1 goal, 0 assists. 49 mins a game, 10 games a goal
    * (in half-a-season)​

That's not a starter or even a rotator at BL2 level, let alone BL1. That's a squad depth player, and one who's likely to be cut rather soon.

He delivers this season and he's got a future in the upper-reaches of the German game. He doesn't, and even bottom-half BL2 sides will go "nice skills and real football IQ - as long as the opposition let him play. Pass." Then it really will be BL3 or, more likely, the equivalent (bottom end of the Juipler League or Eredivisie).

MLS? It's a pretty physical league, and he hasn't shown that he can handle the less physical German game. Meanwhile, MLS keeps getting better all the time. A guy who couldn't impose himself in 2016-17's BL2 and is shaping up for squad/garbage minutes for a 2017-18 BL1 relegation battler, getting an MLS deal based on one goal in the last World Cup-but-one isn't real in this season's MLS.

He's unlikely to move the needle on the pitch, and 2014-with-nothing-since isn't likely to move the needle in the stands for very long either.

Dirt McGirt repped this.
  10. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Definitely not a kampfschwein.

deuteronomy, Deeneaus and Gorky repped this.
  11. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed.

In any case, Green hasn't gotten 1/10 the hype that Adu received in his day.

12. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And yet he's perhaps the most mentally balanced, psychologically healthy kid in the entire pool. I'm sorry for his career, but I'm really happy to see that he appears to have great perspective on life and and wise ( way beyond his years) perception of the position he's been in and how truly blessed he has already been. Sounds like he is really a good kid- I wish him the very best.

13. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    It's hard to read someone else's mind, let alone someone neither of us has actually met, but these data points are interesting:
    2015-16 season: 28 RLB games; 2,190 minutes, 10 goals, 5 assists. 79 mins a game, 2.3 games a goal
    2013-14 season: 23 RLB games; 1,747 minutes, 15 goals, 8 assists. 75 mins a game, 1.5 games a goal.
    The 2015-16 RL Bayern wasn't any better than two seasons before, yet he made less impact . People had learnt more about his game in the intervening two seasons, but he was two years older, had been at least training at a much higher level, and had developed the Soccer IQ side of the game.

14. ShaftBrewer

ShaftBrewer Member+

Jul 18, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not on the bench.

16. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He and Timo Werner were left behind. They are both available for sale, per the Stuttgarter Zeitung.

jnielsen and TheHoustonHoyaFan repped this.
  17. ShaftBrewer

ShaftBrewer Member+

Jul 18, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    timo werner from leipzig?

18. Winoman

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry, meant to say Tobias Werner.

19. GiallorossiYank

GiallorossiYank Member+

Jan 20, 2011
    NJ/Roma/Napoli
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was like waaat da f?

20. Winoman

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    T
    Timo grew up in the Stuttgart academy, and played for the senior team, but jumped ship when they were demoted.

21. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    sorry for the digression but whenever I see Timo, I think of this headline about the Columbus Crew from the MLS first season-"Timo, what has happened to your Teamo?'

Winoman repped this.
  22. Andy_B

Andy_B Member+

Feb 2, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    It might have something to do with the retired 50 year old boxer look he's been sporting.

In one match, the japanese kid on his team passed it to Green and he was so uninterested, the japanese kid went and took the ball back.

Bad case of Aduism. Aduietis? Adutism? Adupes Simplex 1?

Eighteen Alpha repped this.
  24. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    that's very disturbing. I'm sure his salary probably doesn't help his ego in this case.

25. DisgustinJustin

Sep 26, 2013
    MLS is probably readying their $3M a year offer.