Julian Green at SpVgg Greuther Fürth

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Chance, Aug 20, 2015.

1. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, I remeber that article and it definitely raises an eyebrow. I'm sure his stubbornness played a part in getting him to this point, but it can become a serious impediment to progression to the highest levels.

2. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    His whole Rebel Without a Cause shtick is likely to have rubbed most everybody in Germany the wrong way, too.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  3. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    i guess that proves he is American

4. icebreaker

icebreaker Member+

Mar 22, 2011
    Club:
    FC Nürnberg
    Nearly all of Bayerns second team players end up at lower levels or drop out of the game altogether. The difference is that they don't get called up to the World Cup and have the resulting public attention and pressure hanging over them. Klinsmann did Green no favours, imo.

schrutebuck repped this.
  5. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really? Do you think his inability to break into the Bayern first team and disappointing loan spells are the result of his World cup appearance (and i'm doubtful Green faced much expectations from it...he's probably pretty well insulated from US media pressures) and not deficiencies in his game?

Because unless you believe that his failures are a direct result of that appearance, then Klinsmann is responsible for what may be the peak of Green's career, an opportunity to take part in - and succeed at - soccer's greatest stage. I just don't see Julian in his old age saying "it was my greatest thrill, and I met the challenge, and for that I hate the motherf^$ker who brought me there."

FirstStar, ttrevett, freisland and 4 others repped this.
  6. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    or Dutch

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  7. DC_Dave

DC_Dave Member+

DC United
    United States
    May 16, 2017
    Starts for Furth in 2Liga v Dresden

8. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's playing wide left in a 451/433. It's a 451 usually because his team is getting out-played. Not displaying enough positional awareness on d in this spot. Stuck between pressuring and dropping off. When his team gets the ball he's not making runs to get in behind the d. Has shown for the ball out wide short of the last man, dribbled and laid off, or taken an ill-advised long-distance shot, from what I've seen. Performances like this reinforces so far in his career he's better used as a super-sub out wide if you need offense to break a bunker, or as a second striker where he needs less tactical awareness and decision-making on the ball like he was being utilized by Munich. Can more lean on dribbling, technique, and killer instinct in those spots.

9. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Julian passed his first test. He went the full 90 in a competitive first team match. He played on both sides of the ball including defensive clearances deep in his own 3rd. He was active and led both squads in times fouled (4). The other team was well aware of him and payed special attention to him. Greuther got their first point of the season with him playing 90.

He needs to build on that by doing the same thing on Sunday. He needs reps and needs to stay of the training table which has been a big problem.

He is only 22, still very technical, and has good pace. He needs to become stronger, continue to increase his work rate, and get into a play and grind every match routine.

A bottom dwelling BL2 squad may be the best thing to get him back on track.

appoo, HartwickFan, WrmBrnr and 15 others repped this.
  10. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    #2435 The Irish Rover, Sep 16, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2017
    In a difficult away game against fellow relegation-strugglers Dynamo Dresden, that's a good good performance.

Totally agree that a bottom-dwelling BL2 squad could be the thing to get him on track again. His problem is primarily mental, and a season with a club that's spent most of the last decade challenging for promotion before fading in the spring that suddenly finds itself fighting relegation will alert him to where the direction of his career is taking him.

The point they've picked up gets them off the mark, and they're only 5 points behind 13th, but the schedule is not doing them many favours: 8 of the first 10 games are against promotion chasers or other relegation strugglers. Life will certainly be interesting in Franconia for the next few weeks, and that could be good for Julian. IMO one part of his problem is that making it at Bayern was the focus of his life since he was 12-3 years old. Not making it there would have had a psychological impact on him, but the constant pressure (and the rewards that come from handling that pressure well) will get the adrenaline flowing like noting else.

HartwickFan repped this.
  11. Streaky Bacon

Streaky Bacon Member

Apr 11, 2015
  12. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    They're winning 2-0 at the end of the first half. Green not involved in the goals, doing ok though. This is their first win in six games (four losses, one tie before today) and with it they move up from the last place (18) to 16.

HartwickFan, TxEx, Winoman and 1 other person repped this.
  13. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Green got a yellow card before the half.

The Irish Rover and HartwickFan repped this.
  14. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    Fuerth won 3-1, Green went 90.

15. hype25

hype25 Member

Jul 17, 2016
    HartwickFan, TxEx, WrmBrnr and 3 others repped this.
  16. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    good sign.

... hopefully he's beginning to get stuck in. developing some steel in his game.

i'm reaching, i know.

HartwickFan, gunnerfan7, Winoman and 3 others repped this.
  17. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    I bet we'd all be happier if we forgot about the early hype and just considered Julian a developing player.

ussoccer97531, wixson7, DrakeSC and 8 others repped this.
  18. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Maybe you guys would, but I'm happiest rooting for guy after everyone else writes him off. Nothing was more fun than Bobby Wood rising from the ashes of 1860. If Green can eventually redeem himself from the Jurgenmeister hangover, it'll be a great yarn.

19. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic

Sadly, you are reaching. According to Transfermarkt the yellow was for diving. So it doesn't mean he's adding steel.

OTOH It was in the 45th minute, just 60 seconds after Furth had gone 2-0 up, so he may have been trying to kill the game until half time and let Furth regroup. This game was against the division leaders, a genuinely big club fallen on hard times that's far bigger than Furth. A bit of "being clever" is another aspect of winning games.

TheHoustonHoyaFan repped this.
  20. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Then he's adding playacting, an essential part of the modern game.

Ironbound and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  21. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Which is what I wrote. Last sentence & all that.

22. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    TBH, I tend not to read anything beyond the first line of your posts.

You often write what I'm already thinking.

23. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Starts:
    910531315572801536 is not a valid tweet id

24. dd601

dd601 Member