Julian Green at SpVgg Greuther Fürth

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Chance, Aug 20, 2015.

1. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    yikes. terminated for that? It's typical behavior in England

The Irish Rover repped this.
  2. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Probably that's why he got terminated.

The Irish Rover and Dr.Phil repped this.
  3. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He has a history of getting drunk and doing stupid shit. To go out with 17 yrs Olds makes things worse. Obviously he wasn't worth keeping (baggage)

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  4. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof

Please provide examples of professional players, in England, being beaten in a bar.

Should be fairly simple, considering you claim it is typical behaviour.

Thanks.

superdave repped this.
  5. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
  7. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
  8. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    You called me out and I was wrong. Just exaggerating a tad on my part.

9. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Have we forgotten already about Stu Holden beaten up outside a Newcastle bar because he was a Sunderland player?
    But, I wouldn't call it typical.

KicksNgiggles repped this.
  10. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    Which is my point.

3 examples provided from the last 10 years.

But typical ? No.

11. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    It's a lot more than three. Names that appear in a simple search for "premier league players in bar brawls" include Steven Gerrard, Rolando Aarons, Ledley King, Anton Ferdinand, Glen Johnson, Barry Ferguson, etc. All of those in the last seven years, about.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=premier league players in bar brawls

There's even a quiz where they get you to match the Premier League player with the reason for his arrest:

https://www.sporcle.com/games/QWERTY19/arrested_players/results

So yeah, at what point it goes from "occasional" to "typical"?

12. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Duncan Ferguson was nicknamed "Duncan Disorderly"for the number of times he got into brawls in bars. Roy Keane also had to be hauled ouit of jail on a few occasions, at least once by Alex Ferguson in person.

Then there was Livepool's infamous "team-building" trip to Portugal when John Arne Riise attacked Craig Ballamy with a golf club in the hotel bar. The main reason they weren't charged was because the local police weren't interested in the hassle a cross-border prosecution would have involved. That, and the fact that he did it to Craig Bellamy :D

Yanks abroad fans will remember Sunderland's Tuesday club, lead organizer Adam Johnson, who got up to a lot worse than bar room brawls. And who can forget Ched Evans?

Those are just the cases we hear about. Clubs are very ready to distribute the, erm, "readies" to policemen who are ready to [just stop it!! ed.] to keep their mouths shut and misspell the player's name when filling out the files or simply leave him in the cells until he cools off/sobers up and offers the other guy a few quid "for his trouble," torn clothes etc. It's hell of a lot more than a few quid if there's a girl involved

13. Streaky Bacon

Streaky Bacon Member

Apr 11, 2015
    It would be amiss to fail to mention Joey Barton, whose escapades are summarized in this Glasgow article before joining Rangers last year.

http://www.glasgowlive.co.uk/sport/...joey-barton-colourful-history-fights-11335627

Among the article are these lovely section headlines:
    Assaulting team-mate Ousmane Dabo on the training ground (Dabo was left with a detached retina)
    Stubbing out a cigar in the eye of Jamie Tandy
    Getting arrested for assault and criminal damage after argument with Liverpool cab driver
    Going to jail for common assault and affray
    Punching Morten Gamst Pedersen in the stomach
    Sparking a ten-man brawl during a 'friendly' against Doncaster
    Getting sent home from a pre-season our of Thailand for assaulting a 15-year-old Everton fan

14. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've just deleted a personal attack on another poster, so it's time for another reminder to play the ball and not the man.

Thanks.

Alexisonfire repped this.
  15. Midas Mulligan

Midas Mulligan Member+

Jul 24, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Isn't it always best if you can play the ball and take a little piece of the man, too? At least that's what I learned watching the Premier League.

Btw, has Julian had a match lately?

16. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They play on Monday.

Midas Mulligan repped this.
  17. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    @Placid Casual asked for examples of players getting beaten, not giving the beating.

18. Streaky Bacon

Streaky Bacon Member

Apr 11, 2015
    Right, so there were examples of a few players getting beaten - Dabo, Pedersen, Tandy - at the hands of Barton.

19. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Placid Casual has been going around multiple threads on multiple forums generally stirring up trivial shit. Do your job better, @bungadiri.

The Irish Rover repped this.
  20. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    No. Not trivial.

My only question was that it apparently is "Typical in England" and asked for evidence. My mistake was making calling that person a clown.

Some of the instances that were quoted, I had actually forgotten about- However, typical is maybe more how you are defining it. YMMV.

21. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    Right, so I didn't quote and comment on those.

22. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #2072 bungadiri, Mar 5, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2017
    Here's what happened. We had Poster A respond to Poster B by calling them a name. I deleted that and the afters, because:
    1. Poster B shouldn't have to look at that (neither the thing itself nor the afters) every time they come into the thread.
    2. Removal prevents the small incident from [hyperbole alert] metastasizing [/hyperbole] into something bigger.

I also tapped at least one poster on the shoulder and asked for a different approach, to which I got a very polite and reasonable response. And let me take this moment to shout out to Poster B, who was typically polite and reasonable from the get-go. And now we have a conversation that is focusing on the issues at hand, which is kinda the point of the whole thing. There's nothing inherently wrong with somebody suggesting that there's a problematic element to player culture in (in this case) England.* Nor is there anything inherently wrong with someone asking them to back the claim up with evidence. Discussions like that are solidly among the reasons boards like this exist.

*This should come as no surprise and is almost certainly true of player culture in any major sport (and please note that I said "problematic element" in order to avoid implying that all athletes everywhere are involved). You've got a bunch of young people earning gobs of money by being very competitive and who get enough attention to make their head spin in the process, all of which adds up to lots of opportunities to make, uh, questionable choices. And they get to do it publicly, which never helps (speaking as someone who did his share of stupid shit on a much lower budget when he was their age, but who is grateful nobody had a camera shoved in his face while he was doing it).

dwsmith1972 and Winoman repped this.
  23. Streaky Bacon

Streaky Bacon Member

Apr 11, 2015
    Half right. You quoted my entire post with the injured players. But you didn't comment on them.

24. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Speaking of getting suspended for gambling, there was the keeper and the Pie... oh you said beaten by a pro footie player, I thought you said eaten...

I haven't even checked the links and I can recall a half dozen or more off the top of my head, so let's say "not that unusual" and call it a night.

25. naopon

naopon Member+

Jan 2, 2007
    California
    Club:
    Kawasaki Frontale
    Nat'l Team:
    United States