Julian Green at SpVgg Greuther Fürth

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Chance, Aug 20, 2015.

1. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is exactly what I've hoped he'd improve on. He was all skill and no meat. Of course he was young and slight but to progress he needed to become a man. It seems he's advancing on that part. After that he needs to become the man at a small club and start taking over games. One step forward at at time.

mschofield and The Irish Rover repped this.
  2. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    His contract is with Stuttgart, not with GF. He's expected to return to Stuttgart in the summer, and is unlikely to be loaned to the same club again (that doesn't happen as often in Germany).

So anyone who thinks he's staying must be dreaming.

3. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    BTW, today he didn't look like Bundesliga material. I think he may get loaned to a better 2.BuLi club.

4. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #2704 TheHoustonHoyaFan, Apr 13, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2018
    Green's run-touch-shot starts at 1:34 of the following highlights video.

Did not see in real-time since I had to leave at half time but at 3:00 Green with a nice receive, turns and sends a through ball which puts Narvey through on goal.

http://ourmatch.net/videos/13-04-2018-greuther-furth-vs-jahn-regensburg/

Looks like Green will be unavailable next match due to YC accumulation!

Winoman and Jazzy Altidore repped this.
  5. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    So, because it's the Bund 2, Furth/Green lose yesterday to 4th place Regensberg, but move UP a spot since Dynamo got spanked 4-0 and dropped below them on GD! Heindenheim (which is really where Emo should be loaned because Hyndman and Heindenheim has a nice ring to it) take on #1 Fortuna. If they somehow win they could jump Furth. 5 - 15 still just 6 points separation...

Winoman and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  6. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. taylor

taylor Member+

Jun 9, 2000
    Fav team: FC CARL ZEISS JENA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    If Kiel make it to the Bundesliga my heart will hurt.

8. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    No Green today - team or bench. Dunno why. Probs injury, but just guessing.

9. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    See 4 posts above. He is out due to Yellow Card accumulation.

Winoman, edcrocker and freisland repped this.
  10. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Right. Read that the other day, promplty forgot it. Thx.

11. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    So Furth tie Bochum to move to 12. All teams below them yet to play. And none of the teams below them play each other except FCK and Dynamo. So, theoretically, Furth could drop back to 16th if Dynamo, Pauli Heidenheim and Duis all win. And Furth would only be 2 pts ahead of Darmstadt if they manage to win...

12. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    Julian Green went 90 minutes today as Furth lost 3-0 and fell back into the relegation zone. Two matches remain in the 2. Bundesliga season.

Green has to be thrilled with the amount of playing time he's earned this season - 22 starts; but the lack of production - 2 goals and 1 assist - at the 2. Bundesliga level has to be disappointing.

13. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Green starting in RM in a 4 according to some graphic I saw.

0-0 early goings.

Win and they're 100% safe. Tie and they could be as well.

Be a nice game to get the winner...

14. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Furth again trots out their defensive 4-1-4-1 with JG37 as a CAM in the -4- line. A scrappy safety first long ball ping affair with very little rhythm on either side. Green did not get on the ball much but there did not seem to be any plan or purpose to Furth's scheme.

Furth was up 1-0 when Duisburg scores 2 at '61 and '63. Green is taken off at '65, replaced with a 6' 3" forward who is better suited to this affair and I don't have to watch anymore.

I think that Philly, San Jose, or even DC could compete with Furth based on their showing today.

OK, maybe not DC United.

scholes181818 and Winoman repped this.
  15. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Furth tie 2-2 but all other results go against them, leaving it to a must-get-points final game. (Darmstadt winning 3-0 was particularly damaging.)

Because #14 Darmstadt (40 pts) plays #15 Erzgibirge (40 pts) if Furth can somehow beat Heidenheim they will end up at worst #16 and get a playoff. Even a tie could move them to #14 (and safety) if other results help them out, but they have to get at least a point or they are 100% done due to GD.

16. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Like you say, it ain't looking good for Furth, but then the BL2 relegation situation is insanely complicated: Kaiserslautern are already relegated, but everyone from Furth (in 17th position on 39 points with a -11 GD) on up to Sandhausen (in 11th position on 42 points with a +2 GD) could lose and go down on the final day.

17. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Shouldn't matter much, he's going back to Stuttgart & they'll loan him somewhere else.

18. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    to loan him again, they might have to renew his contract, his contract expires Summer 2019.

19. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    He's going to have his shot during the summer friendlies. Green did well in those when he was with Bayern, so he may get that extension after all.

20. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Yeah, Furth's problem is they must get 1 pt. A win is pretty likely to keep them up. A tie needs help. A loss they're stuck where they are, obviously.

21. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Why? Is there some BL requirement that a player whose contract is up at the end of the season can't go on loan? If there is, it's the first I've heard of it and it'd be unique to the BL.

If they've written him off, but he's too stubborn to accept that (and he's famously stubborn), they'll send him on loan to someone who's prepared to eat 50% of his salary while he runs down his contract and signs on a free next summer.

Personally, I doubt it'll come to that. He'll go on loan and if he does well, the new team will offer him a 2.5-3 year deal in January. With his contract expiring in the summer and the risk of an injury leaving him as a free agent with a long-term injury, he'll accept a payoff from Stuttgart and make the move then.

deuteronomy and TheHoustonHoyaFan repped this.
  22. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I'm not 100% sure about the logistics of loanings in Germany but I've read more than once in different sites, talking about this player or that player's contract is up the following Summer so if his parent club wants to loan him out they have to renew his contract.

23. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm pretty sure I've read here on these boards that BL doesn't allow loans in the final year of a player's contract.

Ger90 repped this.
  24. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    it makes sense, a player is likely to be sold instead of dragging the inevitable that some players won't make it.

If Green thinks he can't make it at Stuttgart, then he could leave this Summer to a more permanent place.

The Irish Rover repped this.
  25. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    True, but he's famously stubborn, even pig-headed. He kept hanging on at Bayern when it was blindingly obvious that he was never going to get PT, let alone be a factor in their plans. He may be stupid enough to do the same at Stuttgart, only this time it could be really damaging because of the loan ban.

Right now, he's been one of the few bright spots on an historic promotion-challenger which has had real problems adjusting to the realities of a relegation struggle. That's bound to attract offers from the better clubs (or even Furth if they stay up), and VFB will surely be willing to offer a contract settlement that'll eat most or even all of his salary losses. Memories are short, and doubly so in football: if he hangs on at VFB when they make it clear that he's surplus to requirements, he'll be stuck playing for the second team until Christmas and be in a much weaker negotiating position then.

The good thing is that VFB's second team plays in the 3Liga, so he won't be playing RL ball, but unless he delivers standout performances every game, his stock could fall further. As for getting injured while playing for the second team . . .