Julian Green at SpVgg Greuther Fürth

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Chance, Aug 20, 2015.

1. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Illnesses would be announced in some way. Furth are a small club and all, but you's expect something

2. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    #2477 Suyuntuy, Oct 29, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2017
    Julian went from starter to not even on the bench in one go. And nowhere there is any info on injury or illness. Did he have a fight with the coaching staff? Who knows.

I just wanted to post this article from a couple of weeks back:

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2017/10/1...-ace-julian-green-to-be-first-ever-tottenham/

Pochettino wanted £5m ace Julian Green to be first ever Tottenham signing, had lucky escape

Green, 18 at the time, had already earned a call up to the USA national team and was tipped as a star of the future. But his career since has been a tale of unfulfilled potential. Green did not managed[sic] to crack the Bayern first team, or look close to doing so, and made just five Bundesliga appearances in a poor loan spell at Hamburg.
    [...]
    ...Stuttgart left him behind in the second tier, loaning him out to Greuther Furth. Green, now 22, looks a long way off the promising player Tottenham wanted to sign.

----

PS: Julian already starting with the social media "I'll be back soon" posts & pictures from when he was actually playing:

https://www.facebook.com/Julian-Green-207204029414697/

Let's hope he doesn't start talking of God, periods and commas.

wixson7 repped this.
  3. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What is the most popular vacuum cleaner in Germany?

deuteronomy, onefineesq, wixson7 and 2 others repped this.
  4. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    Feels like an NASL signing in a few years. Provided that league is still around.

Rahbiefowlah and russ repped this.
  5. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How real are their egg sandwiches?

taylor, Bob Morocco, dwsmith1972 and 5 others repped this.
  6. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    Solid.

7. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought more likely Miele.

8. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    Given that they have 16 different categories of trash cans, I’d anticipate they would have a healthy opinion on vacuums.

#sponsored

9. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    I’ll quote his Instagram:

Good morning! I made myself a moderately real egg sandwich!! #breakfast #Früstück #goodmorning #believinyourdreams #thatvolleywasoffmyshinguard

I jut realized that by the time November 2022 comes, it will have been 8 years and 5 months since Julian Green scored our last World Cup goal.

10. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
  11. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    I don't know about their vacuum cleaners, but their Rowenta iron is top notch.

Tactical Hipster and russ repped this.
  12. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    I find it strange that the club has not shared details of his injury though.

14. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Not too much news. Seems to see himself as a winger as he credits Ribery and Robben as the two who most influenced him at BM. Talks a bit about the Hamburg issues. Says he left Stuttgart 'cause he didn't think he'd get enough 90 min games, etc. etc. Didn't see anything too noteworth. Seems pretty mature and "prepped" for these kinds of things. Thankful to Jurgen, expects more US play at some point but concentrating on Furth. How is relegation battle different between Hamburg and Furth - Hamburg bigger, more media but a battle is a battle. Thinks Furth is playing well but give up too many easy goals... yada

Winoman repped this.
  16. autobus39

autobus39 Member+

Jun 28, 2006
    Scranton, PA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On the bench this morning

neems, matabala, Winoman and 1 other person repped this.
  17. autobus39

autobus39 Member+

Jun 28, 2006
    Scranton, PA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Stayed their in a 1-1 road draw with Bochum.

neems and wixson7 repped this.
  18. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Fürth loan, Cons: The team sucks, likely to be in 3.Liga next season. They don't really need another winger, they often use no wingers at all in their Xmas tree formation. They use a target man (6'+) as their lone forward, a guy like Dursun (6'3") or Steninger (6'2"), so Julian can't be used up front. It all means little, if any, playing time.

Fürth loan, Pros: Still within driving distance of his mom's cooking.

19. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This loan was made at a time when Fürth had NO COACH. Therefore there was no thought into acquiring him for some system or believing he’d be a fit for what the team was trying to do because no system or direction existed. That’s never a good sign and you’d hope Green would have been reluctant to even go on this loan

You don’t have to be an expert to see that it was doomed from the start or that Furth just agreed to take him as a favor (probably cheap too with Stuttgart taking on his wages)

20. taylor

taylor Member+

Jun 9, 2000
    Fav team: FC CARL ZEISS JENA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I believe it is "realist" for the record.

21. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    So why did he take it??

How badly do you have to piss off your coach/sporting director to be willing to even consider this move? And if Stuttgart are picking up all of his wages, which the last sentence implies, that's a devastating assessment of your value to a BL1 side.

22. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    He's clear in that interview that he moved to get some PT - so obviously he knew it was not in the cards at Stuttgart. But a change of coach would not be a big deal if he could help the team. Green seems to be the kind of player who is good without being helpful - or at least day-to-day helpful. Zelalem seems to be that kind of player as well - and perhaps it's a bad side effect of "top academy" development - you become all about the skills and not enough about the game? I dunno and it's a vast generalization, but Green obviously has skills, that this number of teams have trouble finding ways to use his speed and ability is disconcerting.

neems and TheHoustonHoyaFan repped this.
  23. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    The choice of teams close to home is nice but not huge for JG. It's Bayern, Stuttgart and Augsburg in the BuLi; and Nuremberg, Regensburg, Ingolstadt, Heidenheim & Fürth in the 2.BuLi.

Next season he can add the three 3.Liga clubs in the area (and forget about any BuLi chance).

Green is a homer. Read interviews with him and you'll notice. I bet going to Fürth was, at least partially, his choice.

24. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  25. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    how soon until he ends up in MLS??

at this point, might be his best option.