A Dassler By Any Other Name - Kit Thread Mark XV

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by Darth Norteño, Jan 2, 2014.

1. Tonerl

Tonerl Member+

Arsenal
    May 10, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How do you know that for certain? It’s one photo with pretty harsh contrast crushing the shadows. That could very well be blue.

cooper7d7 and AEAAFC96 repped this.
  2. Super Llama

Super Llama Member+

May 21, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    To be clear I love both of these jerseys especially compared to anything we've had over the past ten years. I think they'll probably be big sellers. One thing that gives me pause is neckline and hems look different on each one, not really sure why you'd do that. Stoked to get the away jersey though.

3. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Uh, Mebe, meet Adidas.
    Adidas, meet Mebe.
    ;)

4. MilesW

MilesW Member+

Aug 26, 2010
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "

BIGHMW, AEAAFC96 and Tonerl repped this.
  5. IU Gooner

IU Gooner Member+

Feb 8, 2009
    Chicago
    He also might be in slacks for all we know. Lac is in jeans, it was not a full kit shoot.

6. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1381 NorthBank, May 22, 2019
    Last edited: May 22, 2019
    Because I can tell the difference? Laca's jeans are blue. Auba's shirt has black trim/accents. If there's any blue mixed into that black, it's so minimal as to be irrelevant. Anyway, we shall see, when more official photos start appearing.

7. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This may be more like what Mebe was thinking of. This was a nice kit... come to think of it, if you just inverted the colors it would make a terrific Arsenal Away shirt!

[​IMG]

8. maskito

maskito Member+

Arsenal
    Jan 14, 2006
    Nashville
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like adidas will be getting large chunks of my money pretty soon. Really digging both of those kits, if they're the final versions.

Super Llama repped this.
  9. Quentin

Quentin Member

Jul 12, 2008
    Hurricane, WV, USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don’t care for the red stripes on the cuffs or collar.

10. footykid

footykid Member+

Jan 10, 2005
    Mississauga, Ont
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Good chance I buy all three, if the transfers look good. I'll probably still grab at least one anyway.

11. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Funny, those are features that I distinctly like. To each his own.

AEAAFC96 repped this.
  12. Tonerl

Tonerl Member+

Arsenal
    May 10, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

13. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No idea who Darren is, whether he works for Arsenal's kit design team, but I'm inclined to wait and see some official pics or product.

If it ends up being yellow & blue, in similar hues to what we've used before, then I'll be happy.

If OTOH it looks more like a very dark midnight blue, i.e. black, then I'll go back to thinking it's more like a Watford kit.

14. Tonerl

Tonerl Member+

Arsenal
    May 10, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Progress.

cooper7d7 and Super Llama repped this.
  15. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just trying to be civil. :)

But if I was a betting man, and assuming that photo is accurate, then I'd bet it's essentially black. But, in the age of photoshop, there's a lot of pre-release misinformation out there re kits. So it's best to reserve judgment, until it's more official.

Still wondering when that's scheduled/likely to be.

16. Darth Norteño

Darth Norteño With Buddha In My Fists

The Arsenal
    Wales
    Dec 9, 2003
    laceyforest.arl.va
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Wales
  17. Quentin

Quentin Member

Jul 12, 2008
    Hurricane, WV, USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Zipper hoodie is good.

Super Llama repped this.
  18. AEAAFC96

AEAAFC96 Member+

Mar 27, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Think this is the appropriate thread to start the following discussion:

Why don't kit makers assume people are color blind and design away/3rd kits with that in mind? I can imagine that someone who are legit colorblind would have a serious problem figuring out who is who in a Liverpool/Chelsea match when both teams wear dark kits.

19. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    The worst PL match I've ever seen was a West Brom/Stoke match where they were both wearing their striped white and other shirts. Usually the Prem is pretty good with contrasts though - I'm having a hard time remembering a match where I couldn't distinguish Arsenal from their opponent. Liverpool v. Chelsea wouldn't be too bad; the Chelsea blue is pretty distinct.

MLS ********s it up all the time though. There have been multiple Red Bulls games this season that I've turned off because it was too difficult to distinguish them.

But yeah, if you gave me dictatorial control over kit manufacturing, I'd force every team to have an all-white look or, at least, a yellow top.

20. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Just have one side play in pennies.

21. BIGHMW

BIGHMW Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Port Townsend, WA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually we look more like we're paying tribute to the 1988-89 squad that went to The Fortress Known As Anfield (back then against that dynasty under Kenny Dalglish) having to win by 2 and did to win our first title since 1971.

Just needs black sleeves and it'll be perfect, much like these vintage adidas kits donned by both us (and Liverpool, in which if those strips had white sleeves instead would make a perfect Arsenal home kit) in this clip.

22. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nah. No BLUE sleeves, no v-neck, and s patterned fabric... makes it a far cry from 1989's. IMHO

BIGHMW repped this.
  23. BIGHMW

BIGHMW Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Port Townsend, WA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually checked out Classic Football Shirts (.co.uk) to see of they still had any, it turned out not only did they have a couple (size S, at around 250.00 GBP, both too small and too pricey for me) but also they were navy sleeves not black as i thought they were while looking at the 1989 title match telecast away to Liverpool on YouTube, so you were right.

https://www.classicfootballshirts.co.uk/1988-91-arsenal-away-shirt-excellent-s.html

24. BIGHMW

BIGHMW Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Port Townsend, WA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Upon taking a closer look (and with more attention to detail rather then jumping in with not much substance) at this photo, I've got to say that the home kit looks almost similar to the the 1988-89 Liverpool home kit only with the Arsenal-trademark white sleeves instead of all red and with the adidas trademark three stripes only on the shoulders as opposed to going down the whole sleeve like in 1988-89, with the collar also being the same as the one on Liverpool's 88-89 home kit too (red/white). As for the away kit, now that I have taken the time to look at it more carefully, it looks nice but I myself would've gone more for the identical kit that Wolves wore for their primary kit all last season (gold/black and with the AFC shield and with Emirates sponsoring it as opposed to W88.com), you know, this:

adidas-wolves-18-19-home-kits-2.jpg

25. And_ROOS

And_ROOS Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    Melbourne, Aus
    Im glad we aren't going with the kit wolves had, as we are a bigger club then they are and Adidas should be putting in more effort with our kits.