A combined UK-Team at the 1982 World Cup?

Discussion in 'Soccer History' started by Gregoriak, Oct 31, 2011.

1. RoyOfTheRovers

Jul 24, 2009
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Another tournament where a Team GB set-up could've been positively FRIGHTENING would've been '58 Sweden because it could have helped to compensate for the losses from the '58 Munich air crash IMO. Imagine John Charles wearing the No.5 shirt for Team GB and allowing Billy Wright to move back to his arguably better position @ "deep-lying" wing-half. Danny Blanchflower might have been "paired" @ W-H w/Wright w/Blanchflower being the key man in starting Team GB's attacking sequences from deeper positions. Cliff Jones could start over @ left-winger and allower Sir Tom Finney to be moved back to his preferred position of right-winger; whether "Sir Stan" would've been in the squad or not.

The likes of Ivor Allchurch, Peter Broadbent of Wolves, Johnny Haynes & "Jimmy Mac" could've all been in contention for the two I-F "slots" w/perhaps Haynes running the midfield from the deeper "rover"-type of inside-forward role & Allchurch "feeding" his fellow forwards from the more advanced "orthodox"-type position. What if the likes of John Charles or Nat Lofthouse had been wearing the No.9 shirt for Team GB w/John Atyeo or a young Sir Bobby Charlton playing-off of them as the "poacher"-type of I-F? You can just go on & on w/the possibilities from here IMHO...

Gregoriak repped this.
  2. RoyOfTheRovers

Jul 24, 2009
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

[Jennings and Southall would've been nice to have available at 'keeper for a "Team GB" in and around this era IMHO...]

3. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I actually participated at this thread, but I forgot about it.