A Champion Losing Head-to-Head to a Relegated Club

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by EvanJ, May 19, 2019.

1. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With one game left, Genoa, who I like, fell into the relegation zone. They played a 1-1 draw at Juventus, who didn't lose at home, and won 2-0 hosting Juventus. Genoa became the first club since Sampdoria in 2012-2013 to not lose either game against Juventus. What champions have lost head-to-head series against clubs who got relegated? Measure head-to-head by points, goals, and away goals as if it was a two leg series, even if there were more than two head-to-head games. Only include games in the league. If the league splits into groups at the end, combine those games with the games in the first part. Do not include head-to-head games or two leg series that were in playoffs for the Europa League (or any continental competition) or promotion playoffs. If the three criteria I named are tied, I define head-to-head as even, and you can post those also. I am going by the aggregate points and goals, not every game a champion lost to a relegated club. If a champion beat a relegated club 3-0 and lost to the relegated club 2-1, it doesn't count because the champion had the same amount of points and more goals.

2. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    La Liga since 2000.

2000-01: Champions Real Madrid defeated relegated Numancia 1-0 at home but lost 3-1 away.

2003-04: Champions Valencia drew 1-1 at home and 0-0 away with relegated Valladolid.

2006-07: Champions Real Madrid lost at home to relegated Celta Vigo 2-1 but defeated Celta away by the same 2-1.

2013-14: Champions Atlético Madrid defeated relegated Osasuna 2-1 at home but lost 3-0 in Pamplona.

EvanJ repped this.